Which receiver to use with Snipe? (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have the Snipe 2 and having trouble finding “English” stations/programs. I have a couple of very old receiver boxes with, it seems hundreds of programs and have lots of trouble trying to find and then remember the channel number Blah,Blah.......Sooooo, I wondered if somebody could suggest the best box, with the easiest way of finding “English” type programs when outside the Astra beam.

Any help appreciated. (y)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Hi Bill, You are not having much luck with help. I have just ordered one, Snipe 2, I have got fed up with tripod/dish handdraulic way. I have been using a Manhatten freesat box, use one in home too after I kicked sky into touch. so I hope the snipe meshes in with it or I shall be looking to kick some German ass !!
I think the crucial thing for English speaking stations is the appropriate Satelite, I believe the one you really really want is Astra 2 but if you are definitely outside the beam/needing a bigger dish, I was led to believe you are gonna be lucky finding much. Got a box of dominos/pack of cards ? or the deal breaker, surely you have your golf clubs with you ? !!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Just fitted a snipe 2
Hi would you have found it a bore using it as a free standing job ? I haven't got the feel of how big and awkward it is, till it arrives !

I was intending to when I needed it, just plonk it on the roof, having fitted the base plate with releasable suckers, climb up thro the Heiki, or on a table/box alongside, where I could get a clear aim on the satellite. If it was too windy, give in and crack an extra bottle of local gargling fluid.
Bring it in when it's beddy time. I usually patrol the perimeter before calling it a night anyway.
Satandpcguy (funster) thinks I will need an alternative basic free to air tuner for astra 1, my Manhattan (freesat box) he doesn't think will be of much use. I'm guessing your avtex may not tune in much either(ask him, or refer to the manual with your avtex), when astra 2 is not available.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I did plonk ours on the roof via the big heki to test and even though its not really heavy i found it a little awkard, think i would prefer to stick it down and have it more permanent, saves having wires running via the roof lite to sockets/TV...Cant see it being much of a problem if ever it needed to be removed, once the base plate is mounted to the roof its just a case of undoing 8 small bolts and the Snipe can be lifted off. Only ever tried connecting to Astra 2, think i may have to go out and play with the others see if or what it can pick up.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
the roof via the big heki

Hi got mine now and fired it up today. Yes it is a bigger lump than I thought so maybe the roof light may not be the way to go. Reluctant to violate the roof again so I will try a table along the side or something next time out. It worked well though, straight out of the box with Astra 2 via my Manhattan box but I left it too late in the day to play with the other satellites. I have updated the controller too using a usb dongle thing and that went well too. I will have to scrutinise the Manhattan manual to see if there is help there with decyphering other satellites transmissions.
Just in time to edit, I am guessing from the manual that it is a relatively simple job to store non freesat channels so I am expecting a round of applause from Mrs Moo when the occasion requires !

Have you had a go yet and with success ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
If i were you moody i would just sikaflex the mount plate to the roof, if ever you sell your van its only a case of unbolting 8 bolts from the snipe and its off...if yours come with a plate that is..? not updated mine at all yet, just out the box an on the roof lol

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If i were you moody i would just sikaflex the mount plate to the roof, if ever you sell your van its only a case of unbolting 8 bolts from the snipe and its off...if yours come with a plate that is..? not updated mine at all yet, just out the box an on the roof lol
KK how confident are you about sika flex ability to hold down a satellite weighing about 20kg and traveling at 70mph which is not very aerodynamic, assuming it's left there all the time.
Intrested as am about to buy one, did you also screw it down when using sika
Thks

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm looking at getting one permanently fixed on the roof - the stated weight (minus base plate) appears to be 10-11Kgs.

That said, the received wisdom from our local fitter is not to bed them on sealant, although he was talking about a Maxview manual crank which meant having a hole drilled underneath it for the winding mechanism. Maybe his concern was water ingress if the seal failed.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
KK how confident are you about sika flex ability to hold down a satellite weighing about 20kg and traveling at 70mph which is not very aerodynamic, assuming it's left there all the time.
Intrested as am about to buy one, did you also screw it down when using sika
Thks
Am 100% confident in it, one of my solar panels probably weights more an i have 2 up there, nothing screwed at all on my roof apart from a 6mtr awning i fitted with the help from Tonka, and that only has 8 screws in the brackets, the rest is being held with Sika an we did over 3k miles around Europe earlier this year, i do now and again pop my head through the roof vent and have a tug but its all rock solid...don't like making holes if i can help it but that sikaflex is Damn good stuff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Icecrypt 1600 is one of the better FTA sat boxes, easy to use once tuned to a satellite it retains the info when you tune to another one same with the favorites. Also it can handle the high frequencies of intelsat 907, don't know it the Snipe 2 can, Snipe 1 couldn't.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The Icecrypt 1600 is one of the better FTA sat boxes, easy to use once tuned to a satellite it retains the info when you tune to another one same with the favorites. Also it can handle the high frequencies of intelsat 907, don't know it the Snipe 2 can, Snipe 1 couldn't.

Intelsat 907 is not possible with Snipe 2 I believe that one runs on Android and the other on Windows.

I tried for ages with mine, didn't work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry don't understand the reference to Android & Windows don't see what that has to do with it.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Sorry don't understand the reference to Android & Windows don't see what that has to do with it.

I was told that one couldn't "talk" to the other. Don't know if that is the reason just what I was told. I ave spent hours and hours all over Europe trying to find it, at times it seems to lock on. But nothing.

If you, or any other funster manage to connect please let me know how it is done.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
i would just sikaflex the mount plate to the roof

Aye I am happy enough about the concept of Sikaflex, I have used the product before. However the roof construction is zinc sheet over the usual plywood sandwich. I can just visualise the zinc delaminating and the sat lump bouncing up and down while still being well adhered to the zinc ! hence the need to violate the skin again with the screws provided. I have the base plate.

When I put my solar panel on, a big bitch, I ended up bolting the sod down to give me peace of mind, I would also have to drill a hole for the gland and cables as well, if I give in, just for the convenience. Roof then like a second hand dartboard ??

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Lol Moody .... The fitting instructions that came with the snipe 2 states to stick the base plate to the roof and then to seal all around the edge. .it does come supplied with screws so it can be screwed down too but I never used them just used sika

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My 85cm Oyster is stuck down with Sikaflex as are the three solar panels ( well the mounts for them any way )
They were all stuck down on the previous motorhome too.. Never had a problem ( even at speeds some what higher than 70.. in fact on one momentous occasion somewhat higher than 90 !!

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Some have a floating roof an outer skin which is not stuck down, most Rapido's are like this, so if you don't screw the base plate on you could do severe damage, suggest Sikaflex and screw

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
screwed down
floating roof an outer skin which is not stuck down

Just a follow up, Kev that's my roof too. Bit the bullet and she is all screwed and gunked down. Not likely to be going anywhere without the rest of the van !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back