Which product can you recommend Santa brings me? (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I said earlier that I had the I boost..The direction antenna...
I've found that even though it says it's directional it still picks up the wife hot spots over a fair arc and say 3 different tries would complete 360 deg and let you see what's available... Once you select and connect to one you can fine tune it to strongest signal using the log in page or lights on the antenna if it's not to bright...
I've picked up wifi at between 1 and 2 km according to the log in page which displays the info..
Also think it's worth subscribing to fon if you go for something like an I boost
Andy.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Followed by

The irony, so you don't know either!! Based on your logic again a useless post as you put it!

I have experience of the Solwise, you the iBoost.....short of having each system side by side at the same location there isn't a definitive answer.

I am more than happy with the performance of the Solwise and the range and it's less than half the price of the iBoost

As I said earlier it's the OP's money but I'm letting him make an informed choice on spending it rather than blindly paying twice as much for a product that does the same job
Err blindly?you only know one product ..
Blinded is probably a better word..(y)

You can't slate a product you've never tried. .. and you are.
Just because lots of people use the iBoost doesn't make it the best and the same applies to the few solwise users.
A side by side comparison is needed.
Anyone near East london with a solwise??
I'll bring an Iboost and I know a good pub

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As I said earlier it's the OP's money but I'm letting him make an informed choice on spending it rather than blindly paying twice as much for a product that does the same job

but it's not an informed choice unless you have run a side by side test with iBoost, which you haven't.. so to say iBoost is a rip-off without any personal knowledge is like me saying Solwise is 'micky mouse crap' ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not even had breakfast yet .... :cool:

just started mine.. ;)

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Followed by

The irony, so you don't know either!! Based on your logic again a useless post as you put it!

I have experience of the Solwise, you the iBoost.....short of having each system side by side at the same location there isn't a definitive answer.

I am more than happy with the performance of the Solwise and the range and it's less than half the price of the iBoost

What I haven't done is had a pop at the Solwise product as I've never used it. In fact I have no opinion on it whatsoever.

You declared the iBoost a "rip off" and stated that it "looks the same type of kit"

What exactly were those two statements based on?

The iBoost system has many positive reviews and proven top class support. The only reviews (on here) I've seen of the Solwise kit make much of the fact that it's cheap but not much else. I've never seen an objective review of its performance and never seen any mention of the support available.

Your post earlier where you found a connection over a very long distance is obviously impressive but as a one off event doesn't mean a great deal. On that day, in that location with those weather conditions a phone may have matched it.

And finally the OP isn't a him. It's a her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
but it's not an informed choice unless you have run a side by side test with iBoost, which you haven't.. so to say iBoost is a rip-off without any personal knowledge is like me saying Solwise is 'micky mouse crap' ..
It's information gathering Jim, my and others opinion on the Solwise versus those with the iBoost

Nowhere have I slagged off the iBoost's performance (I haven't tried it) but in my opinion it's grossly overpriced (more than double) for what it is compared to other products intended for the same purpose which I have tried that have good performance.

You don't always need side by side reviews to make a purchase, I didn't read side by side reviews on all end lounge MH layouts prior to spending £40k

The OP will decide but hopefully the above gives them food for thought when they spend their hard earned

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
What I haven't done is had a pop at the Solwise product as I've never used it. In fact I have no opinion on it whatsoever.

You declared the iBoost a "rip off" and stated that it "looks the same type of kit"

What exactly were those two statements based on?

The iBoost system has many positive reviews and proven top class support. The only reviews (on here) I've seen of the Solwise kit make much of the fact that it's cheap but not much else. I've never seen an objective review of its performance and never seen any mention of the support available.

Your post earlier where you found a connection over a very long distance is obviously impressive but as a one off event doesn't mean a great deal. On that day, in that location with those weather conditions a phone may have matched it.

And finally the OP isn't a him. It's a her.

It's based on comment on here and other forums on the iBoost's results/range compared to actual results I've had with Solwise

I'd love a phone that could pick up wifi from several miles away, please point me in the direction of such a device

And finally, point well scored on the gender issue ;0)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nowhere have I slagged off the iBoost's performance (I haven't tried it)

fair enough.. but when you use emotive phrases like 'rip off' to describe a product you haven't tried.. it is bound to get a reaction from others who have purchased iBoost.. it's implying they are dumb for not buying Solwise. That may not be the case.. nor what you meant.. but it's how it's perceived..

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I said earlier that I had the Iboost.
I've found that even though it says it's directional it still picks up the wife hot spots over a fair arc and say 3 different tries would complete 360 deg and let you see what's available... Once you select and connect to one you can fine tune it to strongest signal using the log in page or lights on the antenna if it's not to bright...
I've picked up wifi at between 1 and 2 km according to the log in page which displays the info..
Also think it's worth subscribing to fon if you go for something like an I boost
Andy.

Wow Andy.....I'm switching to iBoost if it can do the same for my missus!!!!!

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
fair enough.. but when you use emotive phrases like 'rip off' to describe a product you haven't tried.. it is bound to get a reaction from others who have purchased iBoost.. it's implying they are dumb for not buying Solwise. That may not be the case.. nor what you meant.. but it's how it's perceived..
Fair play but no offence or implication to those who have purchased iBoost was intended, spending£1500 on a push bike will be seen by some as a rip off but that's what I spent recently.

My opinion is iBoost is a 'rip off' as all I needed was a product fit for purpose whilst others see it as good value for its build quality and support....fair enough if that's what is important to you

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Great question @irnbru and one we are looking at as well, mostly so we can stay in touch with the business stuff when we are away.

Often there is no wifi where we are and looking for a Barclays Bank (sorry @Barclaybasher but I do steal their free wifi), McD, or any other retail outlet where free wifi is available (or even cheap paid for) can be a nuisance / inconvenience.

I think mifi is the way to go for us and will look at the options.

I want to pick up an internet connection in some remote areas, I don't want to have to buy a "pack" that runs out after 30 days even if it has only been used for a few seconds. If the device could be used on a number of networks that would be good as I get some free data minutes on my phone plan (EE) anyway. My phone does pick up a data connection but the screen is too small to read and it won't tether to other devices for some reason best known to itself :(

I'm also after a very small printer I could take with me :)

Sorry to hijack the thread :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Good to know that there are choices of products for different budgets with regards to boosting WiFi :) We have bought 2 Remoskas from Alzashop which work out at the same cost as just one from Lakeland - there's only so much value that you can give Customer Service. Having read many good reviews both on this forum & the web we will be buying the Solwise kit for next year for £72.30 (y)
PSU-9V-CAR
WL-USBWIFIRPT-3000
NET-WL-ROCKET_BGN

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
As an aside, my house electric is off today while they work on the Grid so I'm sat in the MH testing my Huawei 5577 MiFi and antenna.

Works fantastic turning a hit and miss local 3G signal into a strong and fast 4G

Unfortunately I bought from Amazon and not 'a certain other supplier'as it was much cheaper........helmet on.......INCOMING!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Does addie offer a discount to funsters?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
motorhome wifi (Addie) is a small business with a limited target audience. they buy stock in from the manufacturers (was faculty x) and rebadge to sell as their own brand. solwise are another manufacturer, as also sold by Jim in his shop. there are only a few technical differences between them. both do the same job over the same distances. both have options of directional aerials and omni directional at slightly different prices. the price differential between suppliers though is so big because of the personal customer service offered by Addie

note I didnt say it was a rip off, just overpriced for near identical kit. and yes I have compared in the real world with 3 vans sat side by side on a site. iboost and solwise work exactly the same and found the same number of wifi routers a huge increase from a laptop with no extra help

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
It's an awful lot of money for extra support but for anyone not very tech savvy on such matters they may feel it worth it and not a 'rip off'

Not in my case however, not that I'm particularly computer minded, but if you follow the 5 steps in the Solwise booklet it's very easy to set up.

Certain suppliers are just middlemen who stick varying amounts on top of the manufacturers price for their profit and service, sometimes if that's a modest amount I may go with it for ease but not when it seems it's more than the price of the actual equipment itself as I feel it is with iboost

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for all the replies folk. It was a tough decision but in the end Ive compared it to like buying an Avtex tv. It costs more than other tvs but the aftercare is first class so on that theory and some of you saying Addies aftercare is first class I have just gone and bought the iboost, or should I say mums bought it for me as part of my Xmas :)

Reactions: CWH

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
'Thick question' coming............................ Does this piece of kit need any physical connection to the van as I think the iBoost does ?
(not keen on putting holes in the MH) :unsure::unsure:
The Rocket aerial has suckers (y)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Good Q. Never really thought about that but I will leave the window ajar.

From Addies page.

The directional iBoost comes with a strong suction mount which often surprises our customers. Provided both the suction clamp and the intended surface are clean, and the pad is moistened a little before applying to a smooth surface, you should have no issue in attaching it firmly.

The directional antenna has a bracket which gives it 180 degrees of movement and can be mounted externally or internally facing out of a window.

Reactions: LAM

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We stick ours on the roof just stand on the dinette, the roof light closes easily, but you put it where you find easiest as long as there is a signal.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks for all the replies folk. It was a tough decision but in the end Ive compared it to like buying an Avtex tv. It costs more than other tvs but the aftercare is first class so on that theory and some of you saying Addies aftercare is first class I have just gone and bought the iboost, or should I say mums bought it for me as part of my Xmas :)
I haven't been able to contribute to this thread but very interested all the same, and after reading carefully everybody's posts I think you've gone for the option I'd have chosen; not because I think one comes out better than another, but because I'm always anxious about "what if it goes wrong and I can't fix it". (y)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I agree @CWH after sales is important. For all I know the other company might also give good after sales or maybe their product is so good not a lot of folk have needed it so cant comment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back