Kelly Wanders

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Help! I'm about to buy my first motorhome to pretty much live in full time. Its just me, and after much deliberation had settled on an Autotrail Tracker FB, one that with SV tech approval can be uprated to 3850 as it has been fitted with the air ride system, so payload no problem. Obviously living in it most of the time, space was a huge consideration, so I started looking at the Frontier Mowhawk with the garage. Sadly, because I'd have to get an older model with my budget, I found the older models dark and dingy. For me, the bright airy feel of a more modern tracker, which with the lo line model does have get internal storage, won because I just didn't like the feel of the older models.

My quandary now however is that Motorhome depot are selling a 2014 Mowhawk at a seriously discounted price, apparently because the seller is getting a new one very soon and needs a quick sale. It's a beautiful van and I've been to see it, but as this is my first van, I liked the fact with a dealer I had a 3 year parts warranty and a deal including insurance too.

What are your thoughts folks? And if I took an expert, where do I get one of those? Lol

Thanks
K

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
For full timing I think I'd go for the garage equipped motorhome, you can never have too much storage space. I know that I'd never buy a motorhome without one.

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
It really depends what you want. The Mohawk has a seperate shower whereas the tracker doesn't . The tracker however looks to have a larger fridge freezer. Mohawk has larger area under bed. Is there enough kitchen storage for you in either of them. Does the Mohawk have a larger gross vehicle weight of 4250 kilos, but what is the payload of both of them, that is a more important factor especially as you will be full timing. You have to try & have your sensible head on when deciding which way to go you normally get the feel of a van at your first look. Ask to see the latest habition certificate, a lot of Auto-trails have had water problems especially around the lockers.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If I were buying a motorhome to full time in, I wouldn't be buying a British built van. Instead, I would be looking at one of the European makes with a wet heating system. As others have said a garage is very useful for carrying all your worldly goods in.

Something like this :-

or perhaps this :-

Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
No trade in have a word with these guys

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Or have a word with Peter Hambilton, there isn't much he doesn't know about Hymer.

Link Removed

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It's not the payload thats the problem it's the rear axle weight. You are still limited to 2000kg no mater what. We just weighed our Laika and we only have 80kg left for rear payload. Our rear axle can take 2400kg as it's the maxi chassis. Full tank or water and fuel.

OP
OP
K

Kelly Wanders

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Hi guys, thanks for your help. It's the autotrail I really like and yes I do have the license to drive more than 3.5.
Anyone know where I might look to get the van checked out professionally, you know heating system etc. I can get the engine checked. Thanks
K

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I once read "buy your third Motor Home first". However as I am on my second I clearly did not heed the advice!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why the fixation on an Autotrail? There are many other makes about, and some of them may even be better, less susceptible to water ingress and have many happy users. I am not trying to start an argument with happy Autotrail owners, just making the point that there are others out there, and, as has already been said, some of those are much better for winter weather.

If it is your first motorhome I would urge you to have a look at all the makes available, including those made in mainland Europe, especially if you are going to be using it in the winter. A lot of Germans and French people use their motorhomes for skiing and that is reflected in their designs against the cold. .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back