Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Im looking to install a gadget that will keep my starter battery topped up when the van is stationary for a while due to the alarm drain.
Should I get a battery master or a victron cyrix i 120A battery combiner.
Do they both do the same thing?
Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I assume you will be leaving on EHU, Otherwise a bit pointless.
If no hook up then solar as already mentioned..(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jammel1980

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
I already have solar and an MPPT controller installed but I want to keep the starter battery topped up while either on EHU, or from solar, basically whenever the leisure batteries are getting a charge and have reached a certain level

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The CBE solar split charge relay does the same job and only £22. Had one on the last van and fitted one to current van.

OP
OP
Jammel1980

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Thanks for all the replies, I’m really after a comparison of the two units named if anybody uses either of them or has used them for said reasons.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I already have solar and an MPPT controller installed but I want to keep the starter battery topped up while either on EHU, or from solar, basically whenever the leisure batteries are getting a charge and have reached a certain level

Did you fit this system..? I’d be surprised if it doesn’t charge your starter already ..

OP
OP
Jammel1980

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
We installed the solar ourselves and it only charges the leisure battery, no charge to the starter battery. Only charges the starter and leisure when driving, should ehu also charge the starter? Ehu and solar charge the leisure battery no problem. Our motorhome is a Mobilvetta Top Driver 68 and is nearly 20 years old so not sure if it’s built in to charge the starter battery on ehu? But we would also like it to be charged from the excess solar aswell.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You could try a Trik L Start unit. We had one on our Winnebago and it kept the chassis ( starter) battery topped up when we were parked just using solar.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A battery master will trickle charge your starter battery when there is more voltage across your habitation battery than in the starter. This will happen when the habitation battery is being charged either by solar or EHU.
There are more ways to skin a cat (just as there are definitions of that proverb) but this is the simplest and most economic solution for you.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Im looking to install a gadget that will keep my starter battery topped up when the van is stationary for a while due to the alarm drain.
Should I get a battery master or a victron cyrix i 120A battery combiner.
Do they both do the same thing?
Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance
The battery combiner is a different beast. It will do what you want I believe but will be more complex to fit. This is because it is designed to couple both sets of batteries together so the leisure battery can supply up to 120A to assist starting. It therefore needs to be wired in with heavy cables.
A Battery Master or the CBE gizmo mentioned is wired in with thinner cables as they only need to carry charging currents.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There are alternative devices to the battery master with the same purpose but at different prices and slightly different ways. As the OP specifically mentioned BM, I did not bother to widen the discussion.
A battery combiner is designed to join two batteries to power one circuit together, and is not what is required here. I've never used one, so cannot say much about them. The idea is to protect the batteries in the bank you are creating from each other, so it's used with batteries of different sizes or if separated by a large distance. As it's much simpler to build a bank of identical batteries together, I don't suppose many are sold.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
The CBE is dead easy to wire up, one to earth terminal, one to starter battery positive and one to leisure battery positive.

John.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Jammel1980

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Thanks all
The battery master seems the way to go then, sounds like it’s easy to install as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back