Which MoHo Insurance Company To Use In France (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone :)
Which MoHo insurance company do you recommend in France, please? And what equipment are they likely to insist on; alarm, immobiliser, wheel lock etc? Thank you :)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
In France or for France?

I would recommend Comfort Insurance. You probably need a Cat 5 alarm system fitted.
They also supply breakdown cover for Europe

Last edited:
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Polly Buttons me again. Insurance companies in France are not like in the UK asking for immobilisers, wheel locks etc etc.

We have insured with Alliance, AXA and now MAAF for our vehicles and all they have asked is whether you have a garage, private enclosed gated garden or on street parking.

We found that if you go to your nearest big town you can visit each assurance office with your requirements and get instance quotes. Most assurance give you discount the more you insure with them.
We currently use MAAF for both our vehicles as they seem to have the most friendly staff, well here in the Limousin anyway, and are very competitive.
Just a little word of caution, try and ask the initial question about cover in French as we have heard english people ask 'parlez-vous anglais' as soon as they walk through the door and the French being the French say 'NON'
If you make the effort so will they.

There are online comparison sites in France but they will need to contact you if you accept their quotes and if you don't speak French it can be hard work.

Bon chance.
Forgot to mention that all motor insurance in france comes with breakdown cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Thank you again, elamessa :smiley: We currently insure our truck with Allianz and have just experienced the worst ever 'breakdown' which, at one point, meant no one could tell us where our truck was or what was happening to it!! :cry: The transporter initially moved our truck on a flatbed with 3 passengers and a dog inside, taking scary bends around roundabouts and leaving us in total shock!! We were then put in a taxi home, which cost the insurance €440, while our truck was put in a compound. After 3 days, no one knew where our truck was. They told us they'd taken it to 3 different garages and each one had refused it. All 3 garages denied this had ever happened!! They told us 3 times they'd hired a car for us but on each occassion no car was ever booked for us. Then told us a taxi would turn up to take us to collect the hire car. the taxi never arrived and had not even been booked. After a week, our truck was found to be exactly where we'd left it at the compound!!!! We then arranged ourselves to have it collected by an English recovery company, who were 100% helpful. 10 days later, our truck finally got home. We now have a mobile mechanic fixing it, as I type. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the so-called French breakdown service!!!

So, I'll give AXA and MAAF a try for quotes. Thanks for suggesting we try to speak French. It definitely works and we've found almost everyone here is very willing to help if you try even a little French :smiley: Hopefully, we can get a good quote. I just hope to god we don't ever break down!!!! Still, at least we'll be able to make a cuppa while it's sorted :LOL:(y)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Thank you again, elamessa :smiley: We currently insure our truck with Allianz and have just experienced the worst ever 'breakdown' which, at one point, meant no one could tell us where our truck was or what was happening to it!! :cry: The transporter initially moved our truck on a flatbed with 3 passengers and a dog inside, taking scary bends around roundabouts and leaving us in total shock!! We were then put in a taxi home, which cost the insurance €440, while our truck was put in a compound. After 3 days, no one knew where our truck was. They told us they'd taken it to 3 different garages and each one had refused it. All 3 garages denied this had ever happened!! They told us 3 times they'd hired a car for us but on each occassion no car was ever booked for us. Then told us a taxi would turn up to take us to collect the hire car. the taxi never arrived and had not even been booked. After a week, our truck was found to be exactly where we'd left it at the compound!!!! We then arranged ourselves to have it collected by an English recovery company, who were 100% helpful. 10 days later, our truck finally got home. We now have a mobile mechanic fixing it, as I type. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with the so-called French breakdown service!!!

So, I'll give AXA and MAAF a try for quotes. Thanks for suggesting we try to speak French. It definitely works and we've found almost everyone here is very willing to help if you try even a little French :smiley: Hopefully, we can get a good quote. I just hope to god we don't ever break down!!!! Still, at least we'll be able to make a cuppa while it's sorted :LOL:(y)
I know what you mean about Allianz heard lots of problems with them , that's the reason we left.

The only time we have called on the breakdown was for a cracked windscreen on the Fiat Ducato motohome whilst in Spain and MAAF had us back on the road the following day with a new windscreen and kept in touch all the way through.

Good luck.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I know what you mean about Allianz heard lots of problems with them , that's the reason we left.

The only time we have called on the breakdown was for a cracked windscreen on the Fiat Ducato motohome whilst in Spain and MAAF had us back on the road the following day with a new windscreen and kept in touch all the way through.

Good luck.
That's good to know! Do they have an English-speaking service, please?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It depends . In the agency maybe but not guaranteed. For accidents maybe and depends on where the accident is ! We had an accident when in Scotland ( wing mirror) and sent in the french completed accident form with a covering letter in French . We were contacted on our return with a request to send it in in English . It seems they have multilingual staff at headquarters who deal with your claim in the language of the relèvent country . But when asking about health cover we were told they did not have dedicated staff for English speakers and we might just be lucky or not . So in short expect french !

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
If you breakdown outside the French territory then yes you will be provided with an English speaker but if you breakdown in France then expect French (although they do have english speakers if you ask politely).

Reactions: HKF

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If you breakdown outside the French territory then yes you will be provided with an English speaker but if you breakdown in France then expect French (although they do have english speakers if you ask politely).
When we took out our insurance many years ago one member of staff spoke English but as they come and go not now but at least I had some time to improve my French lol

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi Polly Buttons

We now do a lot of our insurance through our bank - CA - but our camping car insurance remains with Mutuelle de Poitiers and we have been with them for a number of years because we haven't found anyone locally who can match them. Perhaps you have an agent nearby.

John

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi Polly Buttons

We now do a lot of our insurance through our bank - CA - but our camping car insurance remains with Mutuelle de Poitiers and we have been with them for a number of years because we haven't found anyone locally who can match them. Perhaps you have an agent nearby.

John
Hi John
I'm not sure, to be honest. We haven't been in France for very long but I can ask around. We have our house insurance with CA Normandie, so i guess i can ask them, too. Thanks! :smiley:

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi John
I'm not sure, to be honest. We haven't been in France for very long but I can ask around. We have our house insurance with CA Normandie, so i guess i can ask them, too. Thanks! :smiley:
I've just searched on Google and there are loads of their agencies around the Charente, too numerous to list here. When I opened the search there were just three shown, then the was a line to click "Show all" which does just that, around 20 in all. If you can pm me with your actual location I'll have a look for the closest to you.

John

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I've just searched on Google and there are loads of their agencies around the Charente, too numerous to list here. When I opened the search there were just three shown, then the was a line to click "Show all" which does just that, around 20 in all. If you can pm me with your actual location I'll have a look for the closest to you.

John
Hi John
I guess our closest might be Angouleme?

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hi John
I guess our closest might be Angouleme?
OK. I've tried looking at a number of agencies and have come up with the following around Angouleme

Angouleme - 1 Boulevard Pasteur, 05 45 92 71 90
L'Isle d'Espagnac - 131 bis Avenue de la République, 05 45 69 29 02
Soyaux - 81 Avenue Gen de Gaulle, 05 45 92 74 45
La Couronne - 31 rue de la Libération, 05 45 67 76 13

There are others which are a little further out.

J

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
OK. I've tried looking at a number of agencies and have come up with the following around Angouleme

Angouleme - 1 Boulevard Pasteur, 05 45 92 71 90
L'Isle d'Espagnac - 131 bis Avenue de la République, 05 45 69 29 02
Soyaux - 81 Avenue Gen de Gaulle, 05 45 92 74 45
La Couronne - 31 rue de la Libération, 05 45 67 76 13

There are others which are a little further out.

J
Great, thank you so much!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back