Which Motorhome Mirror Guards (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looking to get some mirror gaurds for the van and wondered which ones folk recommended.

I have a 2016 Fait Ducato PVC so short arm mirrors, I'm not fussy what colour they are as I'll paint them to match. Okay I won't but my mate will :)

Thanks in advance

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Genuine mirror guards here.
Three colours to choose from.
Black
White
Metallic grey/silver
£120 from mirror guards
If your going the NEC show in October they will be there.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Definitely Mirror Guards, ours have been hit 3 times now and no mirror damage, although the last time (a tractor trailer) there was a glancing blow and I noticed a few days later that the indicator lens was cracked. It sticks out just a fraction from the Mirror Guard. New one on order and I've also ordered a mirror glass just in case (a) I break it taking it out or (b) it''s handy to carry a spare.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Definitely Mirror Guards, ours have been hit 3 times now and no mirror damage, although the last time (a tractor trailer) there was a glancing blow and I noticed a few days later that the indicator lens was cracked. It sticks out just a fraction from the Mirror Guard. New one on order and I've also ordered a mirror glass just in case (a) I break it taking it out or (b) it''s handy to carry a spare.[/QUOT
I can change my indicators without having to remove glass (short arm versions) cant see arm length making any odds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
I can change my indicators without having to remove glass (short arm versions) cant see arm length making any odds

I saw that somewhere else, it said to adjust your mirror as far in to the right as possible and you can get to the two screws. Tried this but the bottom screw was still adjacent to the mirror although the top one was OK. We moved it using the mirror adjuster. Can it be pushed manually and will it move further in?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Not at all convinced by Mirror Guard - just to spoil the unanimity! We had a clash several years ago with a transit in France, not very fast, guard cracked and mirror popped out. I would have expected the guard to perform better.

But I’m totally unconvinced that the owner has the first idea what decent customer service means! When we tried to buy a single guard to replace the broken one, first he said he’d got one, then he had one coming in, then he stopped answering the phone until we tried using another phone. In the end, as we going away and wanted the replacement before we went, we cancelled - and got excellent service and a good quality guard from Van Comfort in Retford.

While we were away the mirror guard was delivered despite our cancelling by email and by voice message - or rather it was rejected. He still charged us, but we eventually got refunded via chargeback on debit card. I have heard similar tales of poor service since then.

I would never buy mirror guards againor anything else) from a trader who behaves like that, even if the product was good - and I’m not convinced it is.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On our way home from a break in Wales on Friday I was forced to take "evasive" action when the driver of one of those stupidly large pickup trucks decided he (she?) needed all of the road. I missed him (her) but made contact with the Welsh stone wall. Fortunately the (genuine) Mirror Guard took the impact well, protected the mirror and only suffered a few scratches, most of which have polished out.

Mirror Guards for me every time!

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Having viewed both, I like the Milenco mirror protectors, half the price and easy to fit and remove. Proved ideal on our previous van with long-arm mirrors.

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@Solwaybuggier , I'm not disputing that you had a bad experience with Mirror Guard, but I believe the gentleman who owns the company also makes all the stock and spends a lot of time on the road at every motor home show. He is notoriously difficult to get hold of but I still stand by the quality of the guards. They are made of the same material as motorcycle helmets, hence how good they are. As with anything, faulty products do get through the net, but that does not make them all bad.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
@Solwaybuggier , I'm not disputing that you had a bad experience with Mirror Guard, but I believe the gentleman who owns the company also makes all the stock and spends a lot of time on the road at every motor home show. He is notoriously difficult to get hold of but I still stand by the quality of the guards. They are made of the same material as motorcycle helmets, hence how good they are. As with anything, faulty products do get through the net, but that does not make them all bad.
No problem with people being hard to get hold of - but I have major problems with people who behave in the way he did. I have heard similar tales from others, too. And I remain totally unconvinced by their quality boasts, based on my own experience. But I accept I am in a minority on this. I do think the OP should know that not everyone is convinced!

Last edited:
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the advice guys I'll look at both then decide

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I looked at both when I was looking for mirror guards, Milenco and the more expensive Mirror Guards. When you see them side by side you can see why Mirror Guards are more expensive. I went with Mirror guards and don't regret it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I saw that somewhere else, it said to adjust your mirror as far in to the right as possible and you can get to the two screws. Tried this but the bottom screw was still adjacent to the mirror although the top one was OK. We moved it using the mirror adjuster. Can it be pushed manually and will it move further in?
Yes after making max adjustment apply light thumb pressure to glass and it clears both screws

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
The new all foam filled Mirror Guards are now quite heavy in comparison to the originals to the fact that if hit it is possible the momentum will swing the mirror back with such force it will hit and smash the door window glass. It HAS happened. Beware!
There are others on the market, cheaper, NOT Milenco ones either.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The new all foam filled Mirror Guards are now quite heavy in comparison to the originals to the fact that if hit it is possible the momentum will swing the mirror back with such force it will hit and smash the door window glass. It HAS happened. Beware!
There are others on the market, cheaper, NOT Milenco ones either.

Can you recommend any of the other or point me in the direction of them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't know what's happened to the link as the page it goes to is a 2020 one not the one I did back in 2018 ... must be something to do with the server change recently, I wonder if any other links have been affected (Jim Gromett).

This is a link to where we got our, we had the white ones and they were very sturdy, IMV just as good as the more expensive Mirrorguard ones.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
Thanks for that, Minxy Girl! The only difference I can see is that, there is no edge binding on the Seaflo ones...whether that makes any difference I have no idea? I assume you have had no ‘incidents’ to test them...or have you? Was there any internal padding in your ones?

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
David and Sally, Thank you also for your response. Have you had them ‘tested’, as it were?
are they just a plastic shell or do they have some sort of compression material bonded to the inner face?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The lack of edge binding didn't concern us as the only time we've had damage to our mirrors has been from frontal smacks, this was before we fitted any guards though, but I'm sure if they had been on at the time they'd have saved the original.

I've just done a search and found this which gives info on the 'pads' inside them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would say the MirrorGuard offer twice the protection over the Seaflo copy, maybe more.
Have you physically examine the Seaflo ones Jim? We've had both and we didn't think there was a lot between them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Minxy Girl, just remembered that you now have an A class van,
Yes we have now, the guards were left on our Globecar when we traded it in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back