Which lunatic invented the British bank holiday? (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
As I get older, I've come to the conclusion that bank holidays are a very bad idea.

Last monday, the weather here was beautiful, a bit cool, but sunny, no breeze & pleasant.
This monday, along comes a bank holiday & we have a horizontal blizzard!

I think its about time to banish the bank holiday for good.....Rant over.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
As I get older, I've come to the conclusion that bank holidays are a very bad idea.

Last monday, the weather here was beautiful, a bit cool, but sunny, no breeze & pleasant.

As I still have to do that work stuff I think if the weather is crappy on bank holiday Monday we should get another one later in the year, it doesn't have to be on a Monday, any midweek day will do.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I hate this BH as we donā€™t get it but, as itā€™s usually glorious, it can take me an extra hour to get home from work. Just to rub salt into wounds and all that. So all in all the rain has reduced my grumpiness.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

Speak for yourself, It gives me a day off graftingšŸ‘ As far as Iā€™m concerned we donā€™t have enough, should be at LEAST 2 a monthšŸ˜‰šŸ‘šŸ‘

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Someone with an evil sense of humour?
Naw, it was a Banker, and they have no sense of humour ... [says he who worked in a Bank for over 21 years ...] :oops:

Tbf, on a Bank Lending Course [pre credit scoring days], there was a Cartoon headed 'Bank Manager's Lending Decision Tool' with the Tutor saying, 'All together now; lean forwards, hands together, pause, say 'No' ...' :rolleyes:

Steve

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
No idea what the problem is, perfect day.

SWMBO had a list of jobs for me to do in the garden, but the weather stopped that idea, so had to stay in and just relax with tea in bed, open fire and cook a nice meal before listening to music with a glass of wine.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Bank holidays should be cancelled. Keep the blighters at work six days a week,2 weeks holiday per year. Leave more space for us nice retired folk:ROFLMAO:(y):ROFLMAO:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Interesting.

My neighbour ā€worksā€ for the council. Heā€™s only been there for a few years,but he gets 30 days (six weeks) holiday plus bank holidays. Plus he gets time off in lieu for overtime which he seldom actually does. So he works about 6 months a year. Fantastic job,itā€™s all part of the gravy train funded by the taxpayer!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As I still have to do that work stuff I think if the weather is crappy on bank holiday Monday we should get another one later in the year, it doesn't have to be on a Monday, any midweek day will do.
I always thought that you should only ever work on cold wet days.If warm and sunny you should be off.BUSBY.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Bank holidays are truly British. Building sandcastle on the beach in the rain and then soggy chips in a sea front shelter.
This goes back to the days of strange bank hours, nine until three and closed on a Saturday. Some even closed for lunch.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What about Bastille Day in France or the numerous saints days which are Holy Days of Obligation in the catholic calendar?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Bank holidays are truly British. Building sandcastle on the beach in the rain and then soggy chips in a sea front shelter.
This goes back to the days of strange bank hours, nine until three and closed on a Saturday. Some even closed for lunch.
Full branch hours changed and extended around 1969 in return for Saturday closing [in response to staff recruitment problems because of low pay and Saturday working]. Monday to Friday hours were 0930 to 1530 and Thursday evening 1630 to 1800 to allow customers who had relied upon Saturday morning opening to visit branches to do so on the late night shift. Saturday morning opening was reintroduced by the Banks in 1982 when the tables were turned {Barclays received some 25,000 applications for fewer than 1500 vacancies and HSBC had over 25,000 'surplus' staff].

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back