Which Leisure Battery? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
My MH has a Varta G3 battery in the leisure position.
When charging I see 14.4 volts , so my charging system is working.
However, when rested and the charger is off I see 11volts, even after 12 hrs charging.
So it's goosed, and since it is a cranking battery not a deep cycle battery, perhaps no suprise.

I've identified 2 batteries I have in mind to replace it.

Specs are identical, except one is NCC class A and the other is not classified by the NCC.

One is £109.13 and the other £143.98

What does the Forum think?
I know the NCC scheme has it's critic's , is the expensive battery worth the extra?
Is the expensive battery any different?
Can't compare weights.
No specs for number of cycles at a particular DoD etc.

I note the cheaper battery is warranted for 4 years the expensive one for 2 years, although battery guarantees are practically worthless if you read the exclusions.

It's not that I can't afford the more expensive one , i want to seek the Forum's expertise.

And how come the expensive one has much more charged for delivery?

Thank you

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Exide but only because its well known brand. Wet is good. Have a look at the Numax range. I can definitely recommend those - and the price is good.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The Exide ET 650 battery is rated at 360 cycles @50 % D.O.D. and around 29 Kilo's ( a shed load of lead). I have 2 fitted and I consider them to be the best Lead Acid leisure batteries on the market. I think this last statement might (just possibly, by a tiny, teeny weeny tad) be challenged by one or two (thousand) members who are qualified leisure battery experts, unlike me, who is as thick as pig shit. :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
The Exide ET 650 battery is rated at 360 cycles @50 % D.O.D. and around 29 Kilo's ( a shed load of lead). I have 2 fitted and I consider them to be the best Lead Acid leisure batteries on the market. I think this last statement might (just possibly, by a tiny, teeny weeny tad) be challenged by one or two (thousand) members who are qualified leisure battery experts, unlike me, who is as thick as pig shit. :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

Good info.
Thank you.
The weight might explain the higher delivery charge?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
save delivery charge and have a tour to the depot - pick them up?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
What ever batteries you order, check voltages upon delivery. The batteries I ordered from Tanya arrived at 12.4 V because they were not checked while being held in their storage facility and I believe there expectation is that new batteries will just be fitted without checking first. I returned my batteries to Tanya after sending them proof of the voltage readings and they reluctantly returned my payment. My negative feedback was not published on their website and if you look you will see they have no negative feedback. Now you know why.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Enduroline are Tayna's own brand, their starter batteries are good but I doubt if their leisure battery is a proper one, probably just a relabeled starter battery.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
A lot of German vans like Hymer & Carthago come with one or maybe two Gel Type leisure batteries, ours came with one Exide G80 80 Amp/hour Gel Battery.
I wanted to have two, but was surprised at the cost of these gel type at £169 each, so I considered the options, then found out that Gels can be discharged much lower than wet lead acid batteries which should not be taken below 50%, whereas Gels can be taken down much lower to 20% without damage.
As I already had a new one in the van, I bit the bullet and ordered another Exide G80 as they have to be a matched pair in both type & age.
I dont regret it now as having spoken to a few German van owners they have had typically 7/8 years use out of them before needing replacement.
If you have a decent smart 3 stage charger that can be set up for Gel Batteries then this although more expensive is the route to take.
I know you are on a budget though, and like me initially thought £169 each "No Way" but I dont regret it now. If I was starting from scratch and needing two I would have done as Lenny HB suggested and bought 2 Sonnenschein Gels as they were slightly cheaper and as good as the Exides, but just having a look now they are dearer these days, very strange.
Buy Gels if you can, they last longer than wets in leisure use.
all the best
Les

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Good advice.
Thank you.
My MH is 2008 vehicle with a CBE charger
This can charge via the alternator or EHU.
However I don't think it does Gel charging.
I will check and would ask if anybody knows?
Don't have the manual with me as I write.
That's why I plumped for wet batteries.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good advice.
Thank you.
My MH is 2008 vehicle with a CBE charger
This can charge via the alternator or EHU.
However I don't think it does Gel charging.
I will check and would ask if anybody knows?
Don't have the manual with me as I write.
That's why I plumped for wet batteries.
Hi Jake
Our German van has a CBE charger and it was set to Gel by the manufacturer as they put a Gel leisure batt in it, so I think you will find your OK to go and set the C|BE for Gels.
Good luck.
Les

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Doing some Googling I have discovered that CBE chargers do do Gel.
But that is in all likelihood the latest models.
I'll have to check my actual version,...........

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Have you heard of traction batteries? won't do your payload much good, but loads of Ah!

As a direct replacement I would seriously consider the new lithium batteries (costly I know)

I use the cheapest batteries from Alpha battery, their own brand, I have 2x and 3 years later they are very healthy. ordinary lead acid. I think the secret is keeping them charging all year round with a float charge. (I use solar for this)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have you heard of traction batteries? won't do your payload much good, but loads of Ah!

As a direct replacement I would seriously consider the new lithium batteries (costly I know)

I use the cheapest batteries from Alpha battery, their own brand, I have 2x and 3 years later they are very healthy. ordinary lead acid. I think the secret is keeping them charging all year round with a float charge. (I use solar for this)
Keeping a leisure battery or even a starter battery (their is no recognised international or national standard that defines what a leisure battery is, by the way ?), fully charged is the key to longevity. It is recommended that to get the upmost out of your leisure (starter ) battery, never let it fall below 80 % discharge. The problem users face is a crap starter battery is more than good enough if always fully charged? The trick for want of words is understanding capacity, depth of discharge and number of cycles in knowing/choosing the most appropriate battery for your individual use. (I'm talking Lead Acid here as Gel is another class of battery performance altogether). In essence, it's virtually impossible to judge how good a leisure battery is until it has been subjected to usage over time. In the very short time even a starter battery will perform well until you go off grid and after a short period of time suddenly find your low battery warning alarms are kicking off.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I run with two 110 amp GEL batteries from Alpha batteries. £200 each, guaranteed six years.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Get your new battery from someone with a high turnover, batteries left to go completely flat and then fast charged before delivery won't last or give good service. A&N suggest LDF90 Varta. I bought 3 @£70 each delivered.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I
Get your new battery from someone with a high turnover, batteries left to go completely flat and then fast charged before delivery won't last or give good service. A&N suggest LDF90 Varta. I bought 3 @£70 each delivered.
Lordy! They were cheap. Couldn't see any less than 100 quid. Just ordered an Exide Gel 80ah for £175. They seem to be liked and the German vans have them so they must be good ?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Have you changed your charger for one suitable for Gels?
No I don't use the Elddis one because It's just a 13.8v power supply.
I've got a gel setting on the Votronic duo solar controller and the optimate 2 trickle charger I've got at home says it's OK for gels.
Only thing that can't be changed is the van alternator charging, but I can isolate that if needed, the solar should be plenty of charging for what we use.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I

Lordy! They were cheap. Couldn't see any less than 100 quid. Just ordered an Exide Gel 80ah for £175. They seem to be liked and the German vans have them so they must be good ?
The EXIDE G80 now called ES900 used to be standard fit on Hymers including Niesmann+Bischoff vans then they stated cutting corners, our used van came with Gel Batteries on over 7 years ago and still going strong and running the inverter as and when required, I do have plenty of solar to keep them full though.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Will the alternator charging ruin them?
No, Gels are very tolerant.
Is your mains charger a 3 stage one? Gels need a long absorption phase to charge properly, your Victron regulator gives a 4 hour absorption phase but mains chargers give 8 to 16 hours.
If you use a 2 stage charger the gels will only charge to 80%.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
No, Gels are very tolerant.
Is your mains charger a 3 stage one? Gels need a long absorption phase to charge properly, your Victron regulator gives a 4 hour absorption phase but mains chargers give 8 to 16 hours.
If you use a 2 stage charger the gels will only charge to 80%.
Thanks I'll have to find out the charging profile for it, I've got an older optimate 3 too. I think they have a few stages with desulphation modes etc ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I find that the alternator doesn’t fully charge our gels but solar and MPP Votronic do a great job, we don’t plug in very often but when do it is CBE charger with Gel profile.

Martin

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
By the way Lenny HB i found out the other day that my AGM’s could possibly be originals from 2012....??

I thought the previous owner had put them in just before i bought it but spoke to him the other day and he said they were in there when he imported the van over in 2014-15....

Must be those three victron mppt’s and battery master keeping them going...?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I swapped my Banner 110amp batteries for Exide ES950 GEL, although only 85amp, they last way way way longer than the Banners.
Bought via Tanya for £185 each delivered.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looking at the charging details it bulk charges at 0.8a up to 14.2 to 14.5 (no time limit)
Then maintenance charges at 13.6 but not continuously. How's that sound?

It does say it's for all lead acid batteries and there is a gel icon on it

No good for a gel, assume you meant 8 amps. It will only charge the Gel to 80% not good for longevity.
For a Gel you need a bulk charge up to 14.2/14.3 then an absorption phase i.e. remaining at 14.2 v with current limited to about 1 amp for 8 hours then drop to maintenance of 13.8v.
Votronic & Victron do suitable chargers.

Edit:
Just looked at the spec of your charger it is just a maintenance charger doesn't have a bulk stage as such it is only 0.8 amp, it will take at least 3 days to charge your battery.
You really need a bulk charge rate of at least 18 amps.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back