Which leisure battery do you recommend (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
We are looking to replace our leisure battery. We've had a Banner 115/135ah, for the last 3 or 4 years, which Is no longer holding charge. Any recommendations?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Fist off it has to match the profiles of your charger, after that in my view a heavy 80ah or 90ah is better than a light weight 110ah, I like Exide GEL but other than that "cheap no good good no cheap' springs to mind.

Martin

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Don't know what age your MH is. Some of the newer MH support Gel batteries but you have to switch it to Gel on the battery charger controller. On Older MH it may be necessary to change the controller which starts to work out more expensive.
If your charging system supports Gel I would go for something like these. https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-110ah-leoch-powabloc-tubular-gel-battery/

I fitted one in our previous MH and I have recently fitted two in our newer MH. Gel batteries charge at a slightly lower rate that Acid batteries, but GEL can be discharged down to 20% where as Acid batteries can only be discharged down to 50-60% depending on the quality. Plus these GEL batteries are guaranteed 6 years. They have worked fine for me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't know what age your MH is. Some of the newer MH support Gel batteries but you have to switch it to Gel on the battery charger controller. On Older MH it may be necessary to change the controller which starts to work out more expensive.
If your charging system supports Gel I would go for something like these. https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-110ah-leoch-powabloc-tubular-gel-battery/

I fitted one in our previous MH and I have recently fitted two in our newer MH. Gel batteries charge at a slightly lower rate that Acid batteries, but GEL can be discharged down to 20% where as Acid batteries can only be discharged down to 50-60% depending on the quality. Plus these GEL batteries are guaranteed 6 years. They have worked fine for me.
They look good, 30kg for a 95ah@20hr rate and confident enough to give a decent warranty.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Like Sir RB QC, I have two Varta LDF 90s and have had absolutely ZERO problems with them. Had them well over year (I think).

I am a fulltime, Freedom Loving Type who doesn't use hook-ups.

JJ :cool:

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
They don't seem to last half as long as GEL's. Ask @Jim our leader.

This.
AGMs want a higher charging voltage which they seldom get and don't shed heat very well. They can be great if cossetted, but in the real world they are subject to too many life shortening events so they don't last as long as cheap lead acid starter batteries.

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Thanks for all your posts, much appreciated!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

69intheshade

Free Member
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky TI 700 MEG
Exp
Since 2015
Varta LFD 90's are reputably good as both leisure and engine. I've recently replaced my two leisure batteries and engine battery with them, the bonus being that if I'm ever stuck with a flat engine battery I can use one of the leisure ones to get started.

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Everything totally unsuitable as a leisure battery, often don't last much longer than a year yet they are more expensive than gels which last 6-10 years plus.
I asked the question as my new van came with a Varta AGM 85ah Battery and I wondered why manufacturers fit them if they are not up to it?

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I asked the question as my new van came with a Varta AGM 85ah Battery and I wondered why manufacturers fit them if they are not up to it?

People don't know much about stuff - that's the basic reason.
If you just have a split charge relay it will only ever see a maximum of 14.4V which is not enough as they need 14.7V to charge properly.
Also they have maximum charge currents which a relay also won't respect.

Varta are a top brand but don't expect it to last very long unless there's a decent B2B charger on board (unlikely) and the EHU charger is setup properly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably because the buy them at the right price.
AGM's in my last van lasted 18 months.
Current van got rid of the AGM and fitted 3 gels. We use the van 95% of the time off grid so reliable batteries are a must.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
But if you go back 5 years wasn't he singing the praises of AGM stop/start car batteries.

Martin

Go back a few more and somebody was singing the praises of the steam engine. their comments at the time were probably based on all available information at the time. Battery technology changes, as you'd know if you bothered reading the link and they change their recommendations as required , which to my mind is all to the good.

Malcolm

Reactions: JJ

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Go back a few more and somebody was singing the praises of the steam engine. their comments at the time were probably based on all available information at the time. Battery technology changes, as you'd know if you bothered reading the link and they change their recommendations as required , which to my mind is all to the good.

Malcolm
I have read the link many times actually, including originally when they were praising AGM but just because technology changes it doesn't mean it is better, after reading their comments and others I decided to ignore them and stick with good old tried and tested GEL.

Martin

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
What ever battery you buy make sure you read the very small print on the battery!

See my recent thread “ Make sure you read the small print”

Colyboy

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have read the link many times actually, including originally when they were praising AGM but just because technology changes it doesn't mean it is better, after reading their comments and others I decided to ignore them and stick with good old tried and tested GEL.

Martin

I reckon that if you are happy with your choice of battery then it is the right one for you... (y)

JJ :cool:

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
anyone gone down the lifepo4 route with a b2b charger ?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If you don't use hook up and are planning to keep van.... go lithium.. yes expensive but well worth it IMO.

jagx300

Free Member
May 10, 2020
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Elgrand conversion
Exp
If you don't use hook up and are planning to keep van.... go lithium.. yes expensive but well worth it IMO.
i like the idea of being able to use most of its capacity instead of only half of it , they are much lighter and when you have nowt left , with the correct b2b charger let the engine tickover for an hour or so and you get loads of charge back ,like you said , just the cost

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back