Which is the most reliable base van (2 Viewers)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Mine is a 2.2 sprinter with Adblue it is automatic and drives well is does steer a bit light but that is the overhang and too powerful a steering system , too light to the touch, gearbox has no problem unless I knock the gearlever with my knee and it sticks where it is. Servicing costs are ridiculous for what is just an oil/filter change. Not due on mileage but it is getting and oil changes very soon anyway. Gearbox fluid after two years againn with a filter.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Renault's been good to us, but then again we've not had anything else, so nothing to compare with. And there aren't many based on Renault, so probably not enough numbers to get any significant statistics. Maybe a few more Citroens these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I get my van serviced by a guy that runs a fleet of hire vans. He's run Ducatos in his fleet for a long time. He's also tried other makes at the same time over the past decade, but keeps running majority Ducatos. Must say something.

They are cheap to buy,,,BUSBY,,:D:D

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
Not sure how reliable these motorhomes were :)

iso-isetta-06 (1).jpg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
More to go wrong. Its a lot more complicated.

30 years ago it was rare to see a car on the road that was 10 years old. Now it's pretty common. Although vehicles have got much more complicated, they've generally got more reliable and last longer. I'm not denying that the newest and most complicated stuff is the most likely to break, but overall things are better than it used to be.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
30 years ago it was rare to see a car on the road that was 10 years old. Now it's pretty common. Although vehicles have got much more complicated, they've generally got more reliable and last longer. I'm not denying that the newest and most complicated stuff is the most likely to break, but overall things are better than it used to be.
I agree to an extent, however the Euro5 engine seems to have less issues than a Euro6

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are we talking about all the recalls for the Fiat EuroVI engines or are we generalising?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Rare,,,most cars and trucks i owned 30 years ago would have been much older than 10 years old,,,,most of my friends and work mates ran very old cars,,Thing was they were simple and easy to fix...BUSBY..

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
And we spent most of the time fixing them!

My wife always used to ask why I had to get under the bonnet each time she suggested we went somewhere.

It was mostly to make sure we would get back home.

They don't make 'em like they used to (Thank goodness!)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
And we spent most of the time fixing them!

My wife always used to ask why I had to get under the bonnet each time she suggested we went somewhere.

It was mostly to make sure we would get back home.

They don't make 'em like they used to (Thank goodness!)

Fully agree but i seriously think vehicles etc have become far too complicated,,,,9 speed auto gear boxes,,rain sensitive wipers,,self parking,,,dual mass flywheels etc etc...I now own a 2002 Peugeot Boxer,,much prefer it to the 2008 Fiat i owned,,,not the conversion (which is actually better) but the base vehicle is much simpler and gives me more peace of mind,, BUSBY,,

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Adblue, can and will freeze at 11 below, might have an automatic electric heater but might not. It is about 80% distilled water with uerea in it.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Don’t forget that F.I.A.T. stands for.........:D

Fix It Again Tomorrow :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well I`ve just spent the kids inheritance on a Mercedes so I have most of my extremities crossed.

youbecome1

Free Member
Jun 26, 2014
Weybridge
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
6 months
I have a 2013 Adria Matrix Supreme on a Renault Master. It's the 150bhp version. I had a Bailey before that on a Peugeot Boxer (very similar to Fiat) The difference is significant. The Renault is streets ahead of the Peugeot. Smoother and more powerful as well as a more comfortable ride. Lastly, it's significantly quieter. I thoroughly recommend it. We've done just over 30k miles and it has been great so far - touch wood!!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I regret downsizing from large RWD vans to a FWD Fiat for lots of reasons. I’d look at Ford bases and address the security issues. If you’re driven by layout and other factors, there may not be any choice in the matter of base vehicle, though.

Advice from personal experience may be a bit skewed because the population of Fiats overwhelms any others and memories of failure seem to dwell longest.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
To sum up.
Newer vans are better than older vans.
Fiat are the main producer of MH bases.
I am sure if they were problematic the major MH converters would not use them as it's their reputation to produce a good reliable vehicle.
The use of other bases is the keep the home markets happy, ie hymer use Mercedes.
Mercedes make van bases, fiat make motorhome bases.
PVC matter less as the whole van is used.
My opinion is nobody makes a bad base.
Reliability is down to how a van is driven, and how often.
And if it has been serviced correctly and looked after.
Luck as any component can fail prematurely.
The most important part is layout of the van.
You can spend up to 24 hours around the van but only a few hours driving.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Is that like LOTUS - Loads Of Trouble, Usually Serious.

Any more?

Fiat - Found In A Tip

Actually, whilst it's definitely built to a budget, my old 2006 Ducato X244 is a fairly simple beast and quite easy to fix compared to more modern vans. I guess by the time they got to 2006, bearing in mind the "previous" model X230 which started in 1994 was basically the same van and the X244 was just a facelift, they'd ironed out the bugs! It does feel a bit dated though compared to newer vans or even Sprinters / Transits of the same age.

Fitting a soundkiller kit made a big difference, still not a quiet van but it is now at least comparable to newer vans for interior noise, rather than being noticeably and uncomfortably noisier.

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I've heard a lot about the various mechanical problems with the more modern Fiat Ducato's. The older one's seem to be alright. My Reason for not buying on is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. I was at a festival last year and we were parked up in a farmers field. I did warn a couple of Fiat owners about parking on the grass which had a sight slope in two directions. "Never had a problem was the reply from both of them and proceeded to dig themselves in especially as one wanted to use levelers which made the problem worse. When he was up to his wheel rim he gave up and had to get the farmer with his tractor to pull him out. They should really check the limits of their vehicles and drive accordingly and take note from people who know what they are talking about. I've spent over 40 years off roading and 15 years designing 4wd tractors. I've never been bogged down in my motorhome (Mercedes Hymer). QED

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I've heard a lot about the various mechanical problems with the more modern Fiat Ducato's. The older one's seem to be alright. My Reason for not buying on is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. I was at a festival last year and we were parked up in a farmers field. I did warn a couple of Fiat owners about parking on the grass which had a sight slope in two directions. "Never had a problem was the reply from both of them and proceeded to dig themselves in especially as one wanted to use levelers which made the problem worse. When he was up to his wheel rim he gave up and had to get the farmer with his tractor to pull him out. They should really check the limits of their vehicles and drive accordingly and take note from people who know what they are talking about. I've spent over 40 years off roading and 15 years designing 4wd tractors. I've never been bogged down in my motorhome (Mercedes Hymer). QED

Don't get that problem much in Spain,,,not much grass,,mainly gravel pitches,,,another reason we don't tour in UK,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Fiat - Found In A Tip

Actually, whilst it's definitely built to a budget, my old 2006 Ducato X244 is a fairly simple beast and quite easy to fix compared to more modern vans. I guess by the time they got to 2006, bearing in mind the "previous" model X230 which started in 1994 was basically the same van and the X244 was just a facelift, they'd ironed out the bugs! It does feel a bit dated though compared to newer vans or even Sprinters / Transits of the same age.

Fitting a soundkiller kit made a big difference, still not a quiet van but it is now at least comparable to newer vans for interior noise, rather than being noticeably and uncomfortably noisier.

Seem to do that with cars and trucks,,After a long production run and ironing out all the faults they bring in a brand new model and start again. Mind you emission laws have not helped reliability,,BUSBY,,,

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've heard a lot about the various mechanical problems with the more modern Fiat Ducato's. The older one's seem to be alright. My Reason for not buying on is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE.

Ruling out particular base models though, especially what is by far the most popular one, massively reduces your choice especially buying secondhand. We're more often than not in the UK and usually on grass pitches on small campsites / CL's - I've got stuck once, and frankly that day everyone was getting stuck, including a RWD old VW-based panel van conversion - very wet weather on a site with heavy clay soil.

I don't doubt RWD is better on soft ground but you can have a FWD and just be a bit careful, they're not so bad as to be unusable. With a big luton over the cab maybe it helps mine as it does run close to it's weight limit on the front axle, and I have mud and snow camper tyres on all the time, which helps. I got out of one site in Cornwall where a Transit on summer tyres had to be pulled out with the owner's tractor.

I carry a decent towing strap - used once as above - and some "ground guard" tiles to park on if it really looks soft, which I've never actually used. I'm tempting fate here aren't I ?? :LOL:

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Your not wrong BUSBY but clutches and gearboxes should be ok, their mechanical and not affected by emission laws, just by the designer who gets it wrong. Whatever vehicle base you get something can always go wrong. I had two glow plugs replaced on my Hymer. It has the 2.9 litre 5 cylinder engine. When I had this done with a full engine check the mechanic said he loved working on these engines. Other than oil and filters no need to worry as they are known as the last of the half million mile engines and the most reliable. No problems so far. (Famous last words)
My friend bought an English van with a Ford engine base. Has had numerous problems but the worst was when he lost 5th gear. No spares in Europe. Its a modern Van for god's sake but took over 3 months to put right. My old plodder still going strong but I did my homework so should have a reasonably reliable time. Had it for six years now.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
After reading everyone's comments we have stuck with a Fiat base Motor home. I'm told in France 82% of motor homes are on a Fiat base. We sold our 2009 Fiat base which after having the gearbox rebuilt due to the sync going between 1st & 2nd was running very sweetly. Whilst looking for a new to us MH the choices we seem to have had was either stick with Fiat, Renault or Ford. From what I could see Ford have some serious security and expensive reliability problems. Loads of horror reports of fuel injection and cracked pistons which required an engine rebuild. At least with Fiat its only gearboxes.
Mercedes base over here is like looking for hens teeth. Plus we fell in love with a Bavaria model which fits are requirements very well. We collect it on Monday.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
After reading everyone's comments we have stuck with a Fiat base Motor home. I'm told in France 82% of motor homes are on a Fiat base. We sold our 2009 Fiat base which after having the gearbox rebuilt due to the sync going between 1st & 2nd was running very sweetly. Whilst looking for a new to us MH the choices we seem to have had was either stick with Fiat, Renault or Ford. From what I could see Ford have some serious security and expensive reliability problems. Loads of horror reports of fuel injection and cracked pistons which required an engine rebuild. At least with Fiat its only gearboxes.
Mercedes base over here is like looking for hens teeth. Plus we fell in love with a Bavaria model which fits are requirements very well. We collect it on Monday.
Think that Fiat..Peugeot..Citroen are so popular is that they are supplied so cheaply to the converters.. I though Ford supplied Fiat with engines...May be wrong..Back in the 90s you could not beat Ford or Merc for reliability..Busby..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back