Which is best (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Been reading some reviews about engines on motorhomes,some say Fiat some Mercedes. So I thought I would leave it to you experts,which is best for reliability,maintainance,spares etc.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Without doubt the older pre CDI Mercedes diesels are bomb proof and require little or no maintenance other than regular oil changes. Its well documented that these engines are more than capable of covering over 500,000 miles. Mercedes main agents are worldwide and like CokaCola can be found even in the remotest parts of the world. I also agree with Jenine that the VW is a damned reliable engine as I own two, of which one has covered over 160000 miles and is still going strong.
Nothing wrong with the Fiat engine though as long as you dont forget to change the cambelt. Now if you had included Cummins in your post I would have said the Cummins is the best disel engine in the world now that Gardner are defunct.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
Without doubt the older pre CDI Mercedes diesels are bomb proof and require little or no maintenance other than regular oil changes. Its well documented that these engines are more than capable of covering over 500,000 miles. Mercedes main agents are worldwide and like CokaCola can be found even in the remotest parts of the world. I also agree with Jenine that the VW is a damned reliable engine as I own two, of which one has covered over 160000 miles and is still going strong.
Nothing wrong with the Fiat engine though as long as you dont forget to change the cambelt. Now if you had included Cummins in your post I would have said the Cummins is the best disel engine in the world now that Gardner are defunct.

100 % agree with the above:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back