Which is best site (or book) for touring UK (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Which is the best resource for finding out about places in the UK? Internet or book.

We set off on Sunday. Currently in Cumbria and heading up to Whitehaven tonight. Then we are thinking of heading up the West Coast of Scotland to the top and then down the east coast.

I know we can look stuff up on Wikipedia, but I'm worried we'll miss stuff on the way, so wondered what amazing resources you good folk can point us to.

Thanks.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are loads of places like search4sites and UK Campsites, but I tend to discover all I need just by searching Google, Searches such as "Broken Link Removed" it delivers lots of sites with reviews and pictures too (y)

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Search for sites for us too. It's about £6 for the full app, shows sites, pub stop overs, car parks etc. good maps with good details on too.

Bant

Free Member
Jan 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarseeker
Exp
Since 2018
We joined Caravan and Motorhome Club ...can book sites a year in advance without a deposit and cancel if necessary ,72 hours in advance. We have many booked .

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Searches such as "Broken Link Removed" it delivers lots of sites with reviews and pictures too

Just did that and this site came up😁
Do you get mains hook up there?
9C3FE0E1-40C8-4FA3-9A9B-A73BE08B269B.jpeg

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
When we toured Scotland we tended to look at it from the opposite end, find where you want to go and then look at somewhere for the night, many attractions etc will allow overnights in their car-park, Falkirk Wheel & Kelpies on East side, we found lots of pubs which let us stopover when eating there, just ask,
We also have the CMC Garmin sst-nav, which can show all sites / CL's near to current location, find it a great help, plus we use Britstops a lot.
Each to their own, but this way works for us

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Ukcampsite.co.uk website is something we use a lot. You get to know the people reviewing in terms of those who like similar places to yourself. We use them more for going abroad but also good for the UK. The chat threads are also good if you have a question on a particular area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Search for sites for us too. It's about £6 for the full app, shows sites, pub stop overs, car parks etc. good maps with good details on too.

Hi I have just paid for this and installedthe app and there are absolutely no reviews, been to2 today and not suitable to stay over night. Should there be reviews

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Thanks for all the ideas re places to stay, but I think I boobed and didn't make myself clear.

It wasn't so much places to stay as more places to go to along the way. Stuff like nice little towns, amazing villages, great views, hidden harbours, amazing sites, historical battle grounds, all those goods. The kind of stuff that you otherwise miss whilst whizzing from one big destination to another.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Hi I have just paid for this and installedthe app and there are absolutely no reviews, been to2 today and not suitable to stay over night. Should there be reviews

There are lots of reviews BUT some places have none - please feel free to add them as you go you can also add photo's as well I do it all the time
Search for Sites works by it's users keeping it up to date it would need a HUGE team to update every site regularly and it's users are that large team and so keep the cost to us down

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I understood what you meant but then thought about how vast the area is that you are touring. There are so many places that I don't know where to start.
What are your interests.?
You could fill a whole month in Dunfries and Galloway.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
One of our fav sites on the west coast was Clachtoll. That being said the weather at the time was great.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for all the ideas re places to stay, but I think I boobed and didn't make myself clear.

It wasn't so much places to stay as more places to go to along the way. Stuff like nice little towns, amazing villages, great views, hidden harbours, amazing sites, historical battle grounds, all those goods. The kind of stuff that you otherwise miss whilst whizzing from one big destination to another.
I'm a fan of the DK Eyewitness guidebooks for Europe and they also do one for the UK. It will show all the highlights of an area and is a good place to start.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015

That's the way we do it as i said in my first reply,
We tend to find a well known place / attraction, and then find the lesser known but equally as good from there.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

Try a you tube search. Lots of people have posted videos of touring the area in a motorhome or van. Gives you an idea of where to go or what to see. We use it a search for places to visit wherever we go.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
In support of what Eddystone said, Dumfries and Galloway is a great place to start. Most people coming from the south tend to shoot by this corner of Scotland in pursuit of the Highlands and Islands. But this area is worth spending some time in. Loads of what you appear to be looking for, Castles, Churches, Standing stones and ancient artifacts, Lochs and Burns, Seaside, Fishing (game, coarse and sea) Bird watching, Battle Fields, WW2 history, the artist town of Kirkcudbright, the Borgue, Whithorn priory, Sweetheart Abbey, The Merrick (highest hill in SW Sco for hill walking) and exploring the "awful hand".

The Rhins of Galloway (akin in structure and use to Devon / Cornwall - top tip stick to the main (A) roads, the ridge roads across the Rhin are largely narrow with few if any passing places and you WILL meet the farming community). Mull of Galloway, Drummore, Logan Gardens and Port Logan, Portpatrick, Sandhead are all on the Rhin plus there are a shed load of little towns across the region and most still with their own butchers and bakers etc., with the bigger towns having the usual national suppliers.

Go on, give it a go Yokieman..........

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I use the DK Eyewitness books and would agree with DBK. I found cheap second hand copies on Amazon, ex library that appear to have had little use.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
There are reviews for most, yes. We have found some great stop overs using this app.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We joined Caravan and Motorhome Club ...can book sites a year in advance without a deposit and cancel if necessary ,72 hours in advance. We have many booked .
Hardly fair for those of us that have no choice than go at short notice. Others block booking with little intension of going.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back