Which Inverter to buy? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hey all, I could really do with some advice on inverters.

I'd like a pure sign wave model around 1500w.

I'd like it to wire straight into the vans 240v sockets, and auto-switch over to EHU when available.

But I have no idea what's good and what should be avoided as never used them.
I don't want to spend more than I have too, but will spend what I need too.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Do you have enough batteries / solar panels to make it viable? 1500 watts from an inverter will quickly drain your batteries.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You want one of these ... really????

sign-waving.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Do you have enough batteries / solar panels to make it viable? 1500 watts from an inverter will quickly drain your batteries.

Yes. I'll have 300Ah of LifePO4 and either 400 or 500w of solar.

It won't get massive use. Maybe 10-15 mins per day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
He's going for a super-duper battery bank when he re-builds it ...

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have a Sunshine Solar 2000 psw and remote switch and think it’s good value and quality.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I posted my experience here:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fitting-a-1500w-inverter.156023/

I can confirm it is still all working after bouncing around on a trip to Italy for the best part of 10 weeks.

The only modification I'd like to add is the ability to switch off the automatic change over. On a few sites we used, the EHU supply was a weedy 3A which meant I risked tripping something if I used my coffee machine. This is particularly an issue on sites where you can't readily get access to the circuit breakers to reset them.

Whilst going outside and unplugging the EHU lead isn't normally a major chore it isn't something I advise when it it is chucking it down with rain at night. :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

I can confirm it is still all working after bouncing around on a trip to Italy for the best part of 10 weeks.

The only modification I'd like to add is the ability to switch off the automatic change over. On a few sites we used, the EHU supply was a weedy 3A which meant I risked tripping something if I used my coffee machine. This is particularly an issue on sites where you can't readily get access to the circuit breakers to reset them.

Whilst going outside and unplugging the EHU lead isn't normally a major chore it isn't something I advise when it it is chucking it down with rain at night. :)

That looks about perfect DBK. Think the links have changed since you made the thread, is this the model:
Amazon product ASIN B01M7U05U4
I've bookmarked your thread as loads of great info there :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That looks about perfect DBK. Think the links have changed since you made the thread, is this the model:
It appears the same - but I found when I was investigating several which looked physically the same but had slight differences in appearance such as different decals on them. My take was they were all the same (made in the same factory) but sold by different people. But you would probably have to take them apart to confirm them. :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
This looks like a really good installation @DBK. Thanks for posting the refresher @Wissel. That 1500W PSW looks very good value compared to the 300W one I bought from Maplin's for £90 to power my Sky Box. However the 300W one kooks very well and gets its 12V from the fused TV supply point which is right next to the Skybox. I have been trying to find a solution for our 1300W Tassimo when off grid. This needs PSW but all the inverters and generators I have seen before are too expensive, too big, or too heavy. I have space near the batteries ( 2 off) for this 1500W inverter, and could install it there ( with 125A fuse if that is right?) but don't want to wire it into the 240V distribution or run permanent cable to the kitchen socket as this would just be for "emergency coffee "use. i.e. The odd time we don't have EHU. A couple of questions: with the inverter in the battery compartment (under the bed and adjacent to garage) could I safely use a short 240V extension lead to the Tassimo in the kitchen, for the ten minutes or so it takes to run the Tassimo for two cups? Would this drain the batteries too quickly? What size fuse should I have in the 12V side? I reckon that I would get back my £175 if I use it about 40 times to avoid getting up early to find a Costa/Starbucks! I suppose I could move the Tassimo to the bedside cabinet, then I would not even have to get out of bed to make the coffee.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This looks like a really good installation @DBK. Thanks for posting the refresher @Wissel. That 1500W PSW looks very good value compared to the 300W one I bought from Maplin's for £90 to power my Sky Box. However the 300W one kooks very well and gets its 12V from the fused TV supply point which is right next to the Skybox. I have been trying to find a solution for our 1300W Tassimo when off grid. This needs PSW but all the inverters and generators I have seen before are too expensive, too big, or too heavy. I have space near the batteries ( 2 off) for this 1500W inverter, and could install it there ( with 125A fuse if that is right?) but don't want to wire it into the 240V distribution or run permanent cable to the kitchen socket as this would just be for "emergency coffee "use. i.e. The odd time we don't have EHU. A couple of questions: with the inverter in the battery compartment (under the bed and adjacent to garage) could I safely use a short 240V extension lead to the Tassimo in the kitchen, for the ten minutes or so it takes to run the Tassimo for two cups? Would this drain the batteries too quickly? What size fuse should I have in the 12V side? I reckon that I would get back my £175 if I use it about 40 times to avoid getting up early to find a Costa/Starbucks! I suppose I could move the Tassimo to the bedside cabinet, then I would not even have to get out of bed to make the coffee.
You can certainly use an extension lead, it's just like the mains at home. And for 1500W a 125A rated fuse is correct. The rating is the working current as they actually blow at twice that - or the one I bought does. Best to check the one you buy doesn't blow at 125A. :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks for the help guys :)

I was reluctant to write the purpose I want one for, but as a couple of you have said the same I'll admit - it's for my Tassimo :)

I've been testing different items around the house, with a watt metre, that we could use. The Missus wants use of her hair straighteners, but these were surprising low watt (can't remember the figure, but remember it was a lot lower than I thought) and her hairdryer (on the setting she uses about 800w). The Tassimo was 1300w (again from memory).

Apart from these, maybe a charger here and there, but nothing high power. Almost everything we have is already on 12v.

£175 I think is a bargain. It's added to my list :)

@Robert Clark I'd love the Victron. It's what I was planning to get. But at 5 times the cost, it's hard for me to justify, considering the use it will get. I am going with the Victron MPPT though (same one as you).

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Weve had different inverters and have settled with the idea that if it has a heating element its not worth running on an inverter.

A decent pure sinewave inverter of between 500 and 1000w and a couple of leisure batteries with a solar panel and I can charge any bikes, phones, cameras, laptops that I want and stay off grid.
Gas does all the cooking and heating we need when off EHU

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

I fitted a manual 3 position changeover switch EHU-OFF-INVERTER the hook up is plugged in and live all the time but is only used for hair dryer and hair straighteners. (Ann has been trained up on its operation :))
The electric on site is expensive so everything else 230v in the van runs off the 200w psw inverter. We have got a Chinese 1000w psw but rarely use it, it's just for off grid hair emergencies :rolleyes:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’m not sure that auto-switchover is such a good idea. I’ve had the EHU supply trip without realizing, until my batteries were drained. A simpler approach is to keep the inverted supply separate by using different sockets. This has the advantage that you can even consume more power than the EHU might be able to provide, without tripping it, and let the batteries recover afterwards. It also helps you manage consumption of the mains better, as you never know when a thermostatic device is going to cut in and tip you over what the EHU can manage.

I think the best solution for what you have in mind is the Victron Multiplus. It’s an inverter/charger that allows you to set the available current from EHU and take the rest from the batteries. It’s a more expensive solution than mine but it does mean that you don’t need different sets of sockets. Difficult to justify, though, if you don’t hook-up very often.

Whichever way you go, get a remote switch for the inverter and put it somewhere easy to see. Large inverters place a constant draw on the batteries whilst on stand-by so you need to be reminded when it is on. You also want to be able to switch it on or off without groveling around awkward corners.

In my dual circuit system I put the items I would never want to run from the batteries onto the EHU circuit: Air-con, Kettle, Heating and Fridge. The sockets supplied by the inverter are used for occasional and generally low consumption items: Chargers, Coffee maker, Hair drier, Remoska, Halogen hob, Microwave. I could, of course use a ‘mains’ socket for these latter items if on EHU of sufficient capacity but with 1500W of power inverter, that’s not essential.

I think a 100W inverter should actually be sufficient for most purposes, I just felt that a little more capacity cannot be a bad thing and a PSW one to be sure.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I thought about fitting an inverter so as I could use a small toaster..and possibly a drip coffee machine.
I have twin leisure batteries and a solar panel, but I thought I spent the money better on :

https://www.shopcoffee.co.uk/produc...z-qrZdAb8i60XIGrVlsnMtuljZiAB2bxoCCRIQAvD_BwE

More than happy with my buys, especially the toaster...
Agree, never had a decent cup of coffee from one of those capsule machines.

I fitted a manual 3 position changeover switch EHU-OFF-INVERTER the hook up is plugged in and live all the time but is only used for hair dryer and hair straighteners. (Ann has been trained up on its operation :))
The electric on site is expensive so everything else 230v in the van runs off the 200w psw inverter. We have got a Chinese 1000w psw but rarely use it, it's just for off grid hair emergencies :rolleyes:
Have 1000w inverter similar to DBK's although it's pure sine I don't think the output is as good as the more expensive ones but it does what we ask of it, main use charging the e-bikes.
I made my up own switcing relay, all the sockets in the van are connected to the inverter and automatically swich over if plugged into an EHU.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m not sure that auto-switchover is such a good idea. I’ve had the EHU supply trip without realizing, until my batteries were drained.
I don't see how that is possible, why would you switch the inverter on when you are on an EHU.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I like the Durite and Ring inverters.
They have the output quoted unlike cheapo chinese ones.
The Ring 600w inverter will run at 600 watts for hours on end, I wouldnt risk running a cheapo one at full output, thats if it will actually get to full output.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Thanks for the help guys :)

I was reluctant to write the purpose I want one for, but as a couple of you have said the same I'll admit - it's for my Tassimo :)

@Robert Clark I'd love the Victron. It's what I was planning to get. But at 5 times the cost, it's hard for me to justify, considering the use it will get. I am going with the Victron MPPT though (same one as you).
yep, you'd have to avoid 2 cups of coffee from Costa around 200 times to pay for the Victron! That would take around 4 years assuming you camp off grid every weekend:rolleyes:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
yep, you'd have to avoid 2 cups of coffee from Costa around 200 times to pay for the Victron! That would take around 4 years assuming you camp off grid every weekend:rolleyes:
That's the price of convenience.
Don't forget to factor in the cost of getting to and from the establishment.
If I tried to cost justify everything I do, I wouldn't get out of bed.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've had more of a think about this. And now leaning towards the Victron inverter.

The Victron Multiplus 1600 would suit our needs, and as it has an EHU charger built in would save buying a separate one. There's not a huge choice in EHU chargers suitable for LifePO4 it seems, and I want as good charging as possible to protect my batteries.

The Victron is still a fair chunk more cash, but I have huge confidence in their products, so it's probably worth it to me.

I'll do a little more research :)

Reactions: DBK

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
That would be my route, too. I'd still ask them specific questions about the charging profile they use for LiFePO4, though. Simply having a setting for them could be a clever marketing ploy to increase sales to those who want a future but may never actually get that far and their implementation may not be as good as they'd like people to assume.
I hope I'm wrong, but I've been conned a few too many times and you want to be sure that your investment in batteries will be taken care of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back