Which gas option should we use? (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2021
Epsom, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T685
Exp
Since 2022
Hi All,

We're heading off to Europe in a short while for several months, mostly in Scandinavia. I'm thinking two thirds of the overnights will be off-grid with a third spent on campsites. With this in mind, would it make sense to replace the existing 6 Kg calor with two 6 kg Gas-it bottles which can then be filled from a petrol station? It seems LPG is far more likely to be available than calor. For the times we will be on a campsite we can use EHU.

We would like to fit the gas filler on the inside (don't want to drill a hole in the side of the van) of the gas locker, but I've heard stories that some petrol stations will stop you from filling up, if that is the case, is that right?

Interested to hear any alternatives you may have.

The gas will be used to heat water and the van (it could get pretty cold in Norway!) and provide for cooking.

We had entertained the idea of fitting a diesel heater, but decided against drilling holes in the newly purchased van.

Thanks

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I removed my two 6kg calor and replaced it with two 11kg refillable cylinders, with an in locker filler. That way I know I will have gas. I now fill up mostly in France as it’s getting more difficult in the uk, and returning home with both 11’s full does cover many uk trips, until we return to France.

Sep 6, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I have had refillable (2x11kg) for 10 years. My gas filler is inside the locker and I have never (up-to now) had any problems refilling in Spain, France or uk.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I put an external filler on my van. Easy job and means not needing to go into the gas cupboard at all. It's a neat installation and should be a bonus option when coming to sell.

From what I have read Total garages don't like you filing bottles so having an external point helps.

I have even seen signs in UK garages that state LPG should only be used for engines not heating/cooking. Never had an issue though as if you are refilling from the outside you would not be questioned. Spain are happy whatever. Really don't know about Scandinavia.

I use one 11kg Gaslow refillable and then have a calor bottle as a spare for emergencies. Never used it as I have always filled the refillable before it became empty. So don't really see the need for 2X refillables.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have had refillable (2x11kg) for 10 years. My gas filler is inside the locker and I have never (up-to now) had any problems refilling in Spain, France or uk.
Same for myself
plus I can add Croatia Belgium Holland and Germany to the list
the only place we draw a blank was Morocco
its a good long term investment and much easier to use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The issue with normal bottles is you have to try to empty them before you change them, or you're wasting money. The advantage of refillables is you can top them off whenever is convenient. And Gaslow's come with a gauge that gives you a reasonable idea about how full they are.

I'd be tempted to get one refillable, and then take a full Calor as backup. Refill when you need to and rely on that as much as you can. If you then have issues with refilling, use the Calor. If that runs out and you still can't refill, then switch the Calor to a local cylinder. This will probably also need a change of the pigtail, but it's not a major headache.

Also note, our gas locker can only take a pair of 6kg, it's too short for a 13kg Calor. But it will happily take 11kg refillables.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The issue with normal bottles is you have to try to empty them before you change them, or you're wasting money. The advantage of refillables is you can top them off whenever is convenient. And Gaslow's come with a gauge that gives you a reasonable idea about how full they are.

I'd be tempted to get one refillable, and then take a full Calor as backup. Refill when you need to and rely on that as much as you can. If you then have issues with refilling, use the Calor. If that runs out and you still can't refill, then switch the Calor to a local cylinder. This will probably also need a change of the pigtail, but it's not a major headache.

Also note, our gas locker can only take a pair of 6kg, it's too short for a 13kg Calor. But it will happily take 11kg refillables.
Our locker only takes one bottle but we can just get in an 11 kg gasit but would only get a 6 kg calor in.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If your gas locker will take it, then bigger cylinders would be a better choice as heating will use a fair bit of gas unless you sleep in your overcoat. A filler socket could be fitted on a bracket just below the sill of your van to avoid drilling a hole in the body shell. Just make sure it won't ground on obstructions.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If your gas locker will take it, then bigger cylinders would be a better choice as heating will use a fair bit of gas unless you sleep in your overcoat. A filler socket could be fitted on a bracket just below the sill of your van to avoid drilling a hole in the body shell. Just make sure it won't ground on obstructions.
Our filler is inside the locker never been questioned

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I am obviously an unlucky one, in that I have been stopped filling with LPG with an 'in locker' connection on our previous Moho, when in France. Resulted in a stand off with the lady on the till who wouldn't turn the pump on. Eventually the manager came out, checked that it was a 'safe system' (Gaslo) and I was allowed to fill.

Just happened once, but it was a pain at the time, so swore I would have an external fill point from then on.

To the OP - if you're going to the expense of refillable, have you considered having an underslung tank fitted for prob around the same cost and potentially larger capacity, plus it frees up locker space?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
To the OP - if you're going to the expense of refillable, have you considered having an underslung tank fitted for prob around the same cost and potentially larger capacity, plus it frees up locker space?
Underslug are great. Frees up space. Fill point can be placed in a more convenient location. You can often get bigger tanks too. But they are more expensive. I've previously had an underslung and I've not got one on the new van because I'm worried that it'll become difficult to refill. I'm currently running a single refillable 11kg cylinder.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got 2x6kg Gaslow refillables - the locker isn't big enough for larger bottles - with an external filler in the skirt. That said we've hardly ever had a problem in 12 years of touring all over Europe (well one French lady was a bit reluctant but we'd already filled up....) - if a "jobsworth" gets antsy, as one autoroute manager was, just move on to the next. Morocco is of course something else but there are workarounds.
Note of caution in Scandinavia - we found refiillng availablility isn't as widespread as in the rest of Europe but if you plan your journey using the apps and take every opportunity you shouldn't have a problem. They didn't seem bothered about what the gas was used for.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have 2x11kg Alugas refillables, but in the light of experience one would have been sufficient as you can top up at any time.

OP
OP
S
Sep 19, 2021
Epsom, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T685
Exp
Since 2022
Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts. Really good to get a feel for what others are doing.

I'd originally thought about taking one calor and one refillable but speaking to a fellow motorhomer, put me off the idea. Said I'd have to replace all the hose connectors and the like because the two wouldn't be interchangeable.

So, I'm now back on that idea. Take one 11 Kg calor and one 11 kg refillable, either gaslo or gasit.

Cheers all

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
when we were in Morocco some tears ago they mostly used the camping Gaz 907 cylinder but they never have a the handles as they were refilling them "locally", about £1 a shot as i remember.
I should get refillables and make sure you fil them whenver you can. I did also make up a CG907 converter that I could use in an emergency and feed into the bulhead reg
Mike

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts. Really good to get a feel for what others are doing.

I'd originally thought about taking one calor and one refillable but speaking to a fellow motorhomer, put me off the idea. Said I'd have to replace all the hose connectors and the like because the two wouldn't be interchangeable.

So, I'm now back on that idea. Take one 11 Kg calor and one 11 kg refillable, either gaslo or gasit.

Cheers all
you can get an adaptor from propane calor to the same connector as refillables no need to change pigtails just keep the propane pol connector on your regulator and fit this to the refillable bottle

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Is this the solution you were thinking of, ( but with an 11 kg Calor if it will fit rather than the smaller one I have here. I have changed it for 6kg. )
We would like to fit the gas filler on the inside (don't want to drill a hole in the side of the van)
The refill point can be fitted in even the smallest of locations without being obvious. This is in the plastic trim with a plate screwed behind it. The van was new as well and it doesn't disfigure it in my opinion.
20211211_104106 (Small).jpg

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Just also make sure you have adapers for the various cvontinental pumps.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Camping Gas is a possible solution however it is even more expensive than Calor - it's one redeeming feature is that it can be obtained in any European country (and in Morocco the local small cylinders are identical to the 907).

We use 2x6kg Gaslow refillables - limited by the size of the locker unfortunately. We do carry a Camping Gaz adapter which fits onto an external hose (Gaslow) then screws into the filler which enables us to use Calor as well (plus in Morocco it fits the larger 15kg cylinders which again are dirt cheap, say less than £10 for a full bottle, refills £3.00!)

In the end whatever you choose will be to suit whatever you use it for, there is no "one size fits all" solution.

OP
OP
S
Sep 19, 2021
Epsom, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T685
Exp
Since 2022
Is this the solution you were thinking of, ( but with an 11 kg Calor if it will fit rather than the smaller one I have here. I have changed it for 6kg. )
We would like to fit the gas filler on the inside (don't want to drill a hole in the side of the van)
The refill point can be fitted in even the smallest of locations without being obvious. This is in the plastic trim with a plate screwed behind it. The van was new as well and it doesn't disfigure it in my opinion.
View attachment 633456
Hiya, yes, this is the solution we were looking to adopt. As you say, we'll try and swap out our 6 kg calor for a 11 kg calor. It looks like you have the calor and gaslow fitted using their own pipework, this obviously means you don't have to switch over. Was the install of this setup straightforward?

Thanks

Simon

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
The Safefill bottles look interesting as they are so light. Their web site says they can be filled on forecourts directly. So why do we need an external filling connection point?

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Hiya, yes, this is the solution we were looking to adopt. As you say, we'll try and swap out our 6 kg calor for a 11 kg calor. It looks like you have the calor and gaslow fitted using their own pipework, this obviously means you don't have to switch over. Was the install of this setup straightforward.
The calor uses the rubber pipework originally installed. I keep the calor cylinder turned off and the Gaslow turned on. To swap over, just close the Gaslow and open the Calor. Simple installation cost about 400 quid. Todds in Preston. I opted not to go for an automatic swapover. The small cylinder gives me some extra storage space.

OP
OP
S
Sep 19, 2021
Epsom, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T685
Exp
Since 2022
The calor uses the rubber pipework originally installed. I keep the calor cylinder turned off and the Gaslow turned on. To swap over, just close the Gaslow and open the Calor. Simple installation cost about 400 quid. Todds in Preston. I opted not to go for an automatic swapover. The small cylinder gives me some extra storage space.
Thanks for that, that is exactly the sort of thing we want to achieve. We'll see who we can find down in the South East to so such a job.
Cheers!

Feb 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Hiya considering the same did you find anyone to install in the south east. I'm in Twickenham

OP
OP
S
Sep 19, 2021
Epsom, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T685
Exp
Since 2022
Hi, yes, we found John Carey who lives five minutes away. Will hopefully get the work done next week. Can let you know how it goes if interested?
Cheers

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Have you considered diesel heating? We have a Webasto system for heating and Eberspacher on a previous MH. Its also possible to get them to heat water as well. Advantage is that they run from diesel in your tank. We only have gas for hot water. We've also gained the space in the bottle compartment. Its very economical and no messing around with changing bottles etc. You can use it whilst the van is moving as well so the whole habitation area is warm all the time if need be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back