Which gas alarm should I get? (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is the first time I have had to stay in the UK in winter due to hospital visits. We are starting to run the LPG heater all night and I am worried that the fire might go out and we get gassed in our beds.
Can anyone recommend which gas detector I should get for peace of mind, restful sleep and the ability to wake up in the morning?
I have read that an alarm from Screwfix will do the job? Is this correct?
Thanks in advance
Colin

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
LPG Trumatic. It is a Swift Sundance 2006. I have Gaslow refillable bottles. Don't know any other info but maybe others on the site may know more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You are right to get a carbon monoxide detector but purely for your cooker and any other gas appliance you put in your van but the heating does not vent into the Motorhome so you are ok to leave it on...

If the flame goes out then it should turn off your gas if it does not by some malfunction then the gas will vent out side of the van... hence not gassing you.... gassing only occurs in French service stations...;)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
This one seems to get good reviews and is both fire and CO2 :)

<Broken link removed>

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
As said Trumatic heaters draw their air for combustion from the outside and vent flue gasses to the outside so if the flue is not damaged there should be no way of gas or the products of combustion entering the motorhome.
However, it is a good idea to have a Co2 and Smoke alarm fitted as a matter of course.
Unlike boats motorhomes have floor vents specifically positioned to allow and escaping LPG, which is 1½ to 2 times heavier than air, to vent to the outside.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have never heard of anybody fitting a specific LPG alarm to a MH or caravan, at work we use gas detectors that would pick up the LPG as an explosive atmosphere, but far too complex to fit in a MH I would have thought

Given the fairly significant risk of leaks inside I am amazed we don't all have them, even if it will escape

and BTW you need CO detectors not CO2, CO is Carbon Monoxide the killer, CO2 is Carbon Dioxide we all need this to breath

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have fitted thousands over the years. It is illegal to sell a RV or Trailer in the States without a smoke detector, a fire extinguisher and a gas alarm, many actually operating a solenoid on the gas valve shutting off the gas if detects a leak

Link Removed

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Eddie

Every day is a school day, I never stop learning (y)

Amazing how differently the UK and Europe treat the risk

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This one seems to get good reviews and is both fire and CO2 :)

<Broken link removed>

One more thing.... If it is both smoke and CO where would you position it? Near the ceiling for the smoke, or near the floor for the CO?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
One more thing.... If it is both smoke and CO where would you position it? Near the ceiling for the smoke, or near the floor for the CO?

We have a combined unit supplied with our log burner, that was fitted by them at top of door height, if that helps, hope they knew, but if not as suggested read the rules

I will be interested to know if you do invest in a gas leak monitor (y)

useful thread thanks :)

edit - log burner is in house not MH (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Normally fitted at sleeping head height as the CO will rise with the heat produced. Remember that a CO alarm is different to the natural gas - LPG alarm which is fitted at floor level.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I bought one like this in 2015 from Ebay which works very well even shows the small amount of CO produced while cooking, about 50 ppm which is not a problem as long as it is not for a very long period. For CO it should be at head height. It does also detect LPG but should be at floor level for that. It also detects ether but I don't believe the "Gassing" myth.
Unfortunately the dealer on Ebay is not advertising them at the moment but a good search may find it.
I thoroughly recommend it over the standard Kidde type which only goes off when the CO reaches danger level.
Steve

upload_2016-12-1_14-42-5.png

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Why is everyone forgetting about the multiple gas connections inside the motorhome?

Every one a potential leak

Gu yew orn Borr,,, churun uz arwl up no end... Gorn'ta sleep rite wel turnite,,, ont'tur van feckun ruff!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Look towards the marine market for LPG alarms, boats have no floor vents lol and go BOOM big time when there is a gas leak
Maybe there's a market for floor vents for boats. I bet if I invented some, none of the customers would return them to me! :rofl:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you're nervous about it, get a CO alarm and place it near to where you sleep. CO is a similar density to air, so it just circulates with it. You can't smell it and it does kill. But don't lose sleep over CO, the chances are very slight.
Gas is heavier than air and will sink but it won't kill you unless it explodes. If there is a leak, you're most likely to smell it because there's a stinking agent (not extract of dealer) added to make you aware.
Smoke detectors used to be a nuisance, especially when cooking. I don't know if they're much better these days but I don't bother with one. I'm assuming that I could get out if there was a fire, through a window if necessary. If you're woken up by one of these alarms, how are you going to know which one it is (Intruder/Fire/LPG/CO/Narcotics/... or simply just time to get up)?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I bought one like this in 2015 from Ebay which works very well even shows the small amount of CO produced while cooking, about 50 ppm which is not a problem as long as it is not for a very long period. For CO it should be at head height. It does also detect LPG but should be at floor level for that. It also detects ether but I don't believe the "Gassing" myth.
Unfortunately the dealer on Ebay is not advertising them at the moment but a good search may find it.
I thoroughly recommend it over the standard Kidde type which only goes off when the CO reaches danger level.
Steve

View attachment 135485
Could you let me know the details/model/maker of your alarm - it looks good

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
..........................and BTW you need CO detectors not CO2, CO is Carbon Monoxide the killer, CO2 is Carbon Dioxide we all need this to breath

Yes, I know :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you're nervous about it, get a CO alarm and place it near to where you sleep. CO is a similar density to air, so it just circulates with it. You can't smell it and it does kill. But don't lose sleep over CO, the chances are very slight.
Gas is heavier than air and will sink but it won't kill you unless it explodes. If there is a leak, you're most likely to smell it because there's a stinking agent (not extract of dealer) added to make you aware.
Smoke detectors used to be a nuisance, especially when cooking. I don't know if they're much better these days but I don't bother with one. I'm assuming that I could get out if there was a fire, through a window if necessary. If you're woken up by one of these alarms, how are you going to know which one it is (Intruder/Fire/LPG/CO/Narcotics/... or simply just time to get up)?
Very good points.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a gas alarm fitted at floor level. It was originally designed for home use but had a wall wart which I cut off to allow it to work on 12v. The dogs have occasionally tested it successfully, could also be useful for those with no sense of smell so they would know the dog has farted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back