LL65 3NR

Free Member
Aug 27, 2016
Stornoway
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Any idea which fuse keeps blowing (25A ) as soon as I replaced it.
IMAG3097.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMAG3097.jpg

Brought the van yesterday! 1990 6 birth thanks for the help. Dylan

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
On my Hymer the fuse removed in your photo is the battery charger output.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
1) If you leave the fuse out what doesn't work?
2)Turn everything off and back on one by one till it blows.
3) get an auto electrician to have a look.
4) take it back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LL65 3NR

LL65 3NR

Free Member
Aug 27, 2016
Stornoway
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks badknee, there are many things that don't work, fridge / hot water/ fire. I'll have to try chase the wire around the van then. Just thought Hymer may have fitted the fuses in the same order for all vehicles.
Cheers, Dylan

OP
OP
LL65 3NR

LL65 3NR

Free Member
Aug 27, 2016
Stornoway
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Where the hookup comes in has many connections and junction points. One reads 25v!!! Engine not running, no mains connected. I can only assume my Hymer has the two batteries in series here, why???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Where the hookup comes in has many connections and junction points. One reads 25v!!! Engine not running, no mains connected. I can only assume my Hymer has the two batteries in series here, why???

That certainly looks like it may be the source of the problem..further testing needed to verify..

Have a look at the leisure batters.. see how they are connected together.. .. the previous owner may have made a mistake and put them in series rather than parallel..

Meanwhile, I would pull all fuses to protect other things from having 24v applied.. they don't like 24v up 'em..:eek:

I would also ask the seller..
RV-battery-in-series-and-parallel.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When you say 'One reads 25V' are you saying you have measured the voltage with a meter and it's 25V?

Have you got a solar panel? If not, with no mains connected and the engine not running, the voltage should never be more than 13.6V. A 12V battery can not supply more than 13.6V.

25V is about right for two 12V batteries in series. But I can't think of many good reasons for wiring batteries in series. Most likely to be incompetence.

One possibility: a new leisure battery, with the positive and negative terminals the opposite way round to the original battery. I'm guessing here, but I reckon you'd get 25V where the cab and leisure batteries meet (at the charger, maybe). And none of your habitation electrics would work either. Maybe the lights would work, if they're not LEDs or fluorescents.

So check, double check then triple check that your leisure battery is wired as it should be. Beware, Hymer colours are misleading. They use brown for negative and blue for positive. If you're used to MHs of other brands/nationalities you may be used to the opposite.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There will be an isolation switch and a fuse very near the leisure battery. This should be wired to the POSITIVE (+) battery terminal, not the negative battery terminal.

OP
OP
LL65 3NR

LL65 3NR

Free Member
Aug 27, 2016
Stornoway
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks for replies.
@Scotjim there is only one leisure battery, and no solar panel.

@autorouter yes I checked with a multimeter, then checked many times to make sure I wasn't reading millivolts or something daft. Nowhere else in the system yet, lights 12.6v etc. I did notice the eriba charger had brown to the negative and blue to the positive and thought I'd found the problem only to read the blue and brown in German on the charger correctly wired.

Very different to what I'm used to. I previously owned a coachbuilt vw t25 by weinsberg before building my own vw t5 from scratch to full camper with split charge, leisure batteries, solar etc so good with electrics - if I can chase the wires but this beast is a labyrinth.
There is an isolator key but that just kills everything. More ferreting and hunting tomorrow. (And I'll check the leisure polarity)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Attached is the wiring diagram for my 1992 B564. I suspect yours should be similar.

Attachments

• 564 Wiring Diag.PDF
    114.5 KB · Views: 23
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Check with a meter between the isolation switch terminal and a bodywork earth point. The switch should be POSITIVE 12V relative to the bodywork earth point. If it is negative, then you've found your problem. I say use a bodywork earth point to avoid all wires, which may possibly be wired incorrectly.

If you can't get at the isolation switch easily, then test at the copper metal links to the right of the first four fuses instead. The isolation switch will have to be ON to get a voltage, though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back