Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

Now that I've got your attention, I am asking a question about my wastegate, Oooh Er Missus.

I know that to free that troublesome Wastegate on the Turbo of our 2.8JTD I should attach a pair of Molegrips to it but my question is, which end requires the freeing?

Am I trying to get the cam on the right to be able to move or is the rod attached to the cam stuck at the other end where it goes into the cylindrical container.

I've sprayed the whole lot with releasing agent. I 'only'??? have to get back under the van and do some wiggling.

As usual all responses gratefully received.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It is the butterfly valve at the cam end that seizes not the vacuum cylinder end

13974-1ebe9f75ffe2e84ec5fea82d7e13261e.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for that Jay,
Please come back and let us know if you were successful!

More often that not advice is requested but no feedback is delivered to let us mere mortals know if the trick worked.(y)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Been under the van and got the mole grips on the 'ffending' sic!!! butterfly valve. It's now capable of movement and I watched the rod slide out of the vacuum cylinder, giving it a dose of releasing agent as I did so.
Unfortunately I won't be able to check on this until our next trip (22nd Sept) as around here the road conditions and traffic are such that the 'red engine light' wouldn't come on but I will report back as the pull up to Sourton cross on the A30 normally sees it illuminate.

By the way, putting the 'van on 'nothing special' ramps, plus chocks, plus handbrake on, plus 1st gear engaged was enough for me to get under and "at it".
I'm not the biggest bloke in the world but I won't see 14st. again (unless someone chops a leg off)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not looking forward to December, January, February, even March.

Our 'van only had 17000 on the clock (and it's a 57) when we bought it in Jan 14. I reckon that's where the problem has arisen. It hadn't had much use, even less in 2013 as the previous owner succumbed and didn't use it all.
Although we've had the 'red light' we've not suffered the limp mode problem others have had in association with the problem. That's why I've been slow to sort it.
You'll hear the swearing if it comes on as it going up to Sourton Cross though.

Trekker

Free Member
Nov 14, 2014
south lake district
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2004
I've also had the same problem with red light coming on when pulling hard uphill and then it goes out when over the top. Have not realised that the waste gate could be the problem, because in the fiat manual it says red light may come on occasionally, but this is normal, but doesn't say for what reason. Does anyone know the reason? I hate to see red lights on dash. I will be crawling underneath with some spray from now on hoping that cures it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you can find a copper-based anti-seize spray it will last much longer before it needs re-lubricating. Spraying just after a trip away will help too.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks to all,

I can report that instead of waiting for the trip to the Continent, me and her decided to turn the crank and go on a pedal cycle ride on the edge of Dartmoor. After that we went on the Princetown Road out of Tavistock. Anyone who has been that route will know theres a long torturous pull to the first layby on the right.

Couldn't get that red light to come on.

Success, Job done (till next time. Thanks Tony re the Copper based anti seize spray. I'll look out for it.)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks to all,

I can report that instead of waiting for the trip to the Continent, me and her decided to turn the crank and go on a pedal cycle ride on the edge of Dartmoor. After that we went on the Princetown Road out of Tavistock. Anyone who has been that route will know theres a long torturous pull to the first layby on the right.

Success, Job done (till next time. Thanks Tony re the Copper based anti seize spray. I'll look out for it.)
A few options here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...aerosol.TRS0&_nkw=anti-seize+aerosol&_sacat=0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I've also had the same problem with red light coming on when pulling hard uphill and then it goes out when over the top. Have not realised that the waste gate could be the problem, because in the fiat manual it says red light may come on occasionally, but this is normal, but doesn't say for what reason. Does anyone know the reason? I hate to see red lights on dash. I will be crawling underneath with some spray from now on hoping that cures it.
Another common cause is a slightly blocked fuel filter
Whenever I get one with this problem I check the waste gate first, then change the fuel filter, if they don't fix it the next common fault is injector wiring/connectors

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks to all,

Have you checked the bulb:)

Trekker

Free Member
Nov 14, 2014
south lake district
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2004
Thanks
Whenever I get one with this problem I check the waste gate first, then change the fuel filter, if they don't fix it the next common fault is injector wiring/connectors

Thanks for your reply. Have already had the injector wiring problem and replaced number 4 connector and always change filter regularly so will check the wastegate when I get chance

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back