Which driver was to blame (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If you hit anyone on a "mini roundabout" then it's your fault as your either going to fast or driving without due care..
The speed that is needed to drive around these stupid little things means that if you can't brake in time to avoid hitting someone then you should pay more attention to your driving...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
On a roundabout you give way to traffic coming from the right unless there is a filter lane.

Even if you do have priority you should avoid an accident of you can do so......

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you hit anyone on a "mini roundabout" then it's your fault as your either going to fast or driving without due care..
The speed that is needed to drive around these stupid little things means that if you can't brake in time to avoid hitting someone then you should pay more attention to your driving...

You tell em !!!! They wont listen but tell em anyway ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Perhaps BMW1 reversed into BMW2 then:), the damage was on the rear quarter I fail to see how BMW1 drove into BMW2

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
i stopped at my local mini at the exact same moment as three other cars recently and we all sat there for a few seconds not knowing which should go first i was in the white van so i won

Happens all the time round here and not just at mini-roundabouts. We call it "the Kelso standoff".

The mini-roundabouts near me usually have 2 entrances with double narrow broken white lines and one entrance with large single broken white line. Although I treat them the same as large roundabouts I have wondered if the different style of broken lines alters the priority in any way. I've not sen any consistency to the pattern such as the single large broken line is always on what was the side road or what was the main road before the mini-roundabout was created.

Allan

The sold line means "stop" rather than "give way". Anyone coming onto the roundabout from that entry needs to physically stop rather than slow down and be prepared to stop.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to lighten this thread a little ... we were out in the Smart the other day and beat a BMW away from the lights! :D

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Highway Code says this about roundabouts:
  • Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
Later on there is a section about mini-roundabouts which says the same rules apply as large roundabouts.

The bit I've highlighted is the important bit. Nowhere does it mention this only applies to traffic on the roundabout, it just says give way to traffic approaching from the right.

So if you are approaching a mini-roundabout from the six o'clock direction and you see a car approaching from three o'clock direction you must give way if carrying on would impede the car coming from your right.

Claiming you have right of way because you reach the roundabout first is just bad driving!

So the answer to the original question, was car #1 as it should have given way and let car #2 onto the roundabout first. The consequences of not doing so caused the accident. :)

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/news-and-safety-tips/-highway-code-for-roundabouts

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I quite like the rules for sailing..... whilst a boat on starboard has right of way over a boat on port, if the idiot in the port boat is not paying attention, the starboard boat has an obligation to take avoiding action to remove the risk of collision.

Oh for common sense...

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
all comes down to my theory there are only two things cause accidents to fast and not looking where you going in this case it sounds like both apply to both drivers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I quite like the rules for sailing..... whilst a boat on starboard has right of way over a boat on port, if the idiot in the port boat is not paying attention, the starboard boat has an obligation to take avoiding action to remove the risk of collision.

Oh for common sense...
Rule #2 I think, and yes, it really should apply on land!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I think that the driver of Beamer 2 has had a shuftie to the right as she approached, saw nothing and hit Beamer #1 which was in the 'mental blind spot' straight ahead of her. Simples!

As an aside, how many times does one look both ways, pull out, Beeeeeeep! WTF did he come from!! :eek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Highway Code says this about roundabouts:
  • Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
Later on there is a section about mini-roundabouts which says the same rules apply as large roundabouts.

The bit I've highlighted is the important bit. Nowhere does it mention this only applies to traffic on the roundabout, it just says give way to traffic approaching from the right.

So if you are approaching a mini-roundabout from the six o'clock direction and you see a car approaching from three o'clock direction you must give way if carrying on would impede the car coming from your right.

Claiming
you have right of way because you reach the roundabout first is just bad driving!

So the answer to the original question, was car #1 as it should have given way and let car #2 onto the roundabout first. The consequences of not doing so caused the accident. :)

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/news-and-safety-tips/-highway-code-for-roundabouts

I thought @buttons said it happened in the morning :rolleyes:

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
The give way line means give way to traffic from the right, the driver should anticipate the speed of an approaching car on the roundabout or not.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The highway code says give way to traffic from the right, OK?. Any vehicle ALREADY on a roundabout IS TO THE RIGHT of ANY vehicle entering the roundabout. And therefore has priority. So put simply, First over the line has the right of way.

NOT on French Roundabouts, where you give way to traffic ENTERING.

Pete

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
and that proves it. opps , wrong link,
Changing lanes at the last second, being in the wrong lane on every roundabout, and, failing to indicate every damn time. Is this what you think of when you think of a BMW driver? Not to mention their complete inability to display other emotions than smugness. Well fear not your blatant sweeping generalisations are true.

Scientists at the Dutch Institute of Science have discovered the key. The s02 gene, located deep in the anus, is responsible. After studying the genetic blueprints of over 400 BMW drivers the scientists discovered they shared this remarkable little gene.

‘We have long theorised that BMW drivers are complete and utter assholes, but now at least we have the scientific data to back it up’, stated researcher Smorg Van Baarg, who drives a Saab.

So no longer can we judge these drivers as simply being incredibly smug assholes but we must be patient with them for it is a genetic disease which one day we may be able to cure.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Comment by Buttons at start of thread;
My understanding is that we give way to the right but only if the vehicle to your right has already entered the roundabout.
Correct.
Comment by Oriel;
Mini roundabouts are the same as larger ones - you give way to traffic coming from the right.
Incoorect because the comment is incomplete (See Buttons comment)

There is a common misconception by the modern motorist that, as he approaches the roundabout he can enter it and damn the consequences as occured here.

Just for devilment I regularly enter a roundabout when I can see quite clearly a motorist on the right WHO IS NOT ON THE ROUNDABOUT, bearing down on it at a speed. He/she does not have right of way purely because he/she is to my right. He/she isn't ON the roundabout.

Ahh a like minded soul :D

If a vehicle is approaching from the right and you have entered the roundabout whats to say you won't be driving around the roundabout and exiting where you entered.
That will then mean you are approaching the vehicle, that was on your right, from the right giving you right of way.

Not too tricky is it :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Have a look at my post. Being on the roundabout is irrelevant. You should gid way to traffic approaching from the right. On a large roundabout that usually only includes traffic already on the roundabout but on mini roundabouts it includes traffic approaching the roundabout.

Careful about that high horse, its a long way down.

So how far away does the vehicle have to be before you can enter the roundabout

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I see roundabouts as a bit of a dare.

So many people dither when it's their right of way that sometimes I just go for it, right of way or not

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So how far away does the vehicle have to be before you can enter the roundabout
I'm pretty sure the introduction to the highway code used to say something along the lines of 'you must not, by your actions, cause another road user to slow down, stop or change direction' it's the number one rule I drive by and applies here. Give way means effectively don't get in the way and if you cannot be clear of the junction before the other vehicle arrives at the junction you should wait until they are clear before proceeding. (IMV)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm pretty sure the introduction to the highway code used to say something along the lines of 'you must not, by your actions, cause another road user to slow down, stop or change direction' it's the number one rule I drive by and applies here. Give way means effectively don't get in the way and if you cannot be clear of the junction before the other vehicle arrives at the junction you should wait until they are clear before proceeding. (IMV)

So by that statement a vehicle approaching at 30 mph can continue at that speed and enter the roundabout.

I think that would be frowned upon in court or by road traffic officers.

The broken white lines on a roundabout are there for a reason, slow down and be prepared to stop.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I used to work in accident management many years ago now - we would put people in hire cars finance repairs and present cost to third party insurers, and a little bit of injury of course too ....there was a name for us...hhmmnnn ;-)

At the time mini islands were popping up everywhere - we were particularly cautious of accidents on mini islands, liability was often disputed. Area of impact as always is important.

Whilst of subject of accidents, many believe insurers battle of claims and investigate them, in practice is does not happen its either clear fault / non fault or 50/50. Getting witness' is imperative in the event of an accident - so few people do - after a quick glance of third party reg and making sure they are not on their get yourself into the flow of traffic and actively stop witness's.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've read through most of this thread, and I don't think it has been asked. Which side did BMW #2 get hit on?

As far as insurance is concerned, if your damage is on the front, you are to blame! My father once had a lorry reverse into him, the lorry driver claimed my father drove into the back of him, insurance wouldn't hear any excuses, damage to front he was to blame.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
My father once had a lorry reverse into him, the lorry driver claimed my father drove into the back of him, insurance wouldn't hear any excuses, damage to front he was to blame.

Text book example of importance of getting witnesses, after all the niceties at time of accident....business' running large fleets of vehicles know when they can avoid claims against their insurance ......

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So by that statement a vehicle approaching at 30 mph can continue at that speed and enter the roundabout.

I think that would be frowned upon in court or by road traffic officers.

The broken white lines on a roundabout are there for a reason, slow down and be prepared to stop.

You are not responsible for them, only for you. If the vehicle is approaching at 30mph with no signs of slowing then assume they will continue at 30mph and GIVE WAY

That of course doesn't make it right to approach a mini roundabout at 30mph without being prepared to stop....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back