Which door locks to get? (1 Viewer)

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
I've got a Swift Mondial panel van that has a normal alarm on it (and I can turn off the internal sensors when I'm in it). Also have little Milenco window alarms and have just ordered the 'lock-m-out' metal things for the window catches too.
Was going to get some locks put on all the doors, was especially thinking of ones I could open from the inside as I also want an easy exit if there's problems. However when I look online for reviews of e.g. Thule locks they seem very badly rated.
Has anyone any advice on locks that are good that I could get installed on all the doors?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Wow, where are you thinking of camping? Just so I don't accidentally go there. :eek:

OP
OP
F

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Wow, where are you thinking of camping? Just so I don't accidentally go there. :eek:

I'm wild camping in Spain. Yeah maybe I am being paranoid :)
It's more so I feel safe sleeping in it at night rather than concerns about anything happening when I'm away from it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'm wild camping in Spain. Yeah maybe I am being paranoid :)
It's more so I feel safe sleeping in it at night rather than concerns about anything happening when I'm away from it.
I can put a chain through the front doors if needed.

OP
OP
F

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Yeah I've got an alarm but any time I set it off by accident no-one takes any notice so I guess criminals will not be deterred much

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
I've got a Swift Mondial panel van that has a normal alarm on it (and I can turn off the internal sensors when I'm in it). Also have little Milenco window alarms and have just ordered the 'lock-m-out' metal things for the window catches too.
Was going to get some locks put on all the doors, was especially thinking of ones I could open from the inside as I also want an easy exit if there's problems. However when I look online for reviews of e.g. Thule locks they seem very badly rated.
Has anyone any advice on locks that are good that I could get installed on all the doors?

Yup, don't do it. As long as the vehicle as a good quality loud alarm, I'd advise against deadlocks on the doors with the fear of how much damage inflicted if the thief made an attack on the door, especially being out of the country and trying to deal with repairing such damage and a possible language barrier to boot. Also bearing in mind that your windows are plastic, these are more likely to be targeted instead of the doors.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Yeah I've got an alarm but any time I set it off by accident no-one takes any notice so I guess criminals will not be deterred much

So you are sleeping in your van at night and the alarm goes off and you don't take any notice of if.

Well that is what you are saying.:rofl:

OP
OP
F

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
So you are sleeping in your van at night and the alarm goes off and you don't take any notice of if.

Well that is what you are saying.:rofl:

Well I would be trying to get away if someone was breaking in but what I meant is that no-one nearby on hearing an alarm will be bothering to check out if help needed

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yup, don't do it. As long as the vehicle as a good quality loud alarm, I'd advise against deadlocks on the doors with the fear of how much damage inflicted if the thief made an attack on the door, especially being out of the country and trying to deal with repairing such damage and a possible language barrier to boot. Also bearing in mind that your windows are plastic, these are more likely to be targeted instead of the doors.

sorry.. but I totally disagree.. using that logic why bother locking the van at all ?

deadlocks are an excellent addition to security ..

The Motorhome and Caravan Security Handbook by James Brown, BEM

On coachbuilt motorhomes, the easiest lock to compromise is usually the one on the habitation door. This is especially applicable to those with just a single locking point (latch/bolt), and to ones with stable doors.

A ‘D’ handle that locks in front of the door adds security, as well as aiding the access and egress of occupants.

Door bars and chain security are also available for the cab doors – effectively linking the driver and passenger ones together – although I’d buy additional deadlocks and/or lock shields before these.

A securely mounted small safe is great for storing passports, documents and the like. If the campsite you have pitched at offers safety deposit boxes for hire, use one!

Last edited:

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
A ‘D’ handle that locks in front of the door adds security, as well as aiding the access and egress of occupants.
This particular lock I have sadly had personal experience of (as I am desperately trying to find pictures of the damage to my old Kontiki, probably gone now since it was back in 2012 when it happened :(). These D handles are great if you need them it assist you in getting in and out of the van but...……….
My old van sadly whilst in storage had an horrific amount of damage inflicted to the side, where a group of dare I say "Roaming Community" were camped not too far away. The same night this happened, 3 other caravans had been broken into, where things like gas bottles and batteries were stolen. It was of the opinion of the land owners that it was only when they triggered the alarm on mine, that they were alerted to the thieves presence. Sadly by then, it was too late and I was greeted with the sight of a large punched hole and the mounts from the D bar putting huge cracks in the side of my pride and joy. All this just 2 weeks before we were due to leave for France. 5 weeks later and I think it was something like £4k mark in repair (through the insurance obviously) which put pay to that particular trip.
Had I not used the handle as a security device and they had just damaged a lock that I could easily buy through the trade, I strongly believe that we would have not gone through such an ordeal in repairing the van and damage would have been minimal. Where and how the MH was parked only gave them the option to go through the door, or a very high-ish kitchen window so sadly took the door as an option.
Please understand this is my personal opinion based on my own experience. It's up to you to weigh up what you think is best for you and your pride and joy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Similarly a friend of my wife's had his van broken into at City Europe, they pulled the D handle fixing through the van wall, £3000 damage to nick £20 of CD's.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This particular lock I have sadly had personal experience of

I wasn't giving advice about D handles.. we were talking about DEADLOCKS

that was part of the quote from Jim's book ..

The Motorhome and Caravan Security Handbook

I highlighted the part I was referring to about DEADLOCKS
"

additional deadlocks and/or lock shields before these."

just to remind you what I actually said ..

" sorry.. but I totally disagree.. using that logic why bother locking the van at all ?

deadlocks are an excellent addition to security .."

I fit deadlocks to all my vans.

Do you still advise NOT to fit deadlocks ?

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@FiCamper

Heosafe deadlocks, Supply or supply and fit from Paul Harrison http://www.motorhomelocks.co.uk

my Hymer had the door cut out ready for fitting, so do many other German motorhomes.

WE SUPPLY, OR SUPPLY AND FIT HIGH SECURITY DEADLOCKS TO HYMER CARTHAGO CONCORDE AND MOST GERMAN MOTORHOMES THEY FIT IN THE CUT OUT ON THE HABITATION DOOR AND BEHIND THE PULL OFF PANEL ON THE FRONT DOOR.

NickandClair

Free Member
Apr 30, 2018
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
The Dark Side!!!!
Exp
Since 2001
I fit deadlocks to all my vans.

Do you still advise NOT to fit deadlocks ?

Up to you Jim. Like I said it is of my own personal opinion and based on a personal experience, that my answer is no. I would rather be able to repair a reasonably inexpensive door lock in the middle of France, than be left with the aftermath of panel damage. I worry that if you have someone persistent enough to gain access to the van, that you would be left with similar damage to what my old bus suffered with, or say a softer point of entry targeted like a plastic window of a Euro van, or Glass one with plastic catches on an RV.
Based on what happened, I strongly believe that the noise on the alarm (which was of a Growler spec at the time, without all the LED's) was pretty loud, plus also getting the attention of the land owners maybe this was enough for them to not continue going into the van to have anything away, nor attack any of the other caravans around it.

We can always pass on our advise to others based on opinions and experiences, I think it's then up to the individual to make that call based on the advise and protect themselves according to their own risk assessment. I personally don't want to put me and my dear wife through the heartache of our van being damaged in the same way again.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Up to you Jim.

indeed..

as you said.. others can decide for themselves if extra security is worth while or not..

or just leave the door unlocked, no risk of damage .. I used to do that when living in Jo'Burg.. no point in locking a car living there..

I sleep easier knowing my door has a deadlock .. it also have rather feisty JRT laying in wait .. better than any 'growler' alarm ;).. which I also have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back