Which device to provide GPS to non-GPS iPad Pro? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We bought an iPad Pro not realising that it wasn’t GPS enabled. We need GPS and I understand that there are separate devices that you can use to enable GPS usage.

I’ve looked online at Bad Elf and Garmin GLO. Has anyone had experience of using these or can offer advice if there are others to look at?

TIA

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Was going to get the garmin glo myself but ended up updating the ipad to cellular and wifi one, much easier in the long run and you dont even need to use the cellular to use the gps (although I do) added bonus is that it is less of a doorstop with cellular anyway. ??

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
We’ve had the Garmin GLO and used it with our iPad for a few years with no issues. Never seen an Elf so cannot comment on any differences.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I use a Garmin Glo, expensive, however, connects easily, doesn't drop out and can be placed under the dash i.e. Doesn't have to be fixed to a window. Can thoroughly recommend, however, is £85 or so. Use it with my iPad 4 which fits in Fiat tablet holder

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Was going to get the garmin glo myself but ended up updating the ipad to cellular and wifi one, much easier in the long run and you dont even need to use the cellular to use the gps (although I do) added bonus is that it is less of a doorstop with cellular anyway. ??

Are you saying that you bought a new GPS enabled iPad or that you upgraded the one you have? If the latter, how did you do it please?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Are you saying that you bought a new GPS enabled iPad or that you upgraded the one you have? If the latter, how did you do it please?
Mine was out of contract so i upgraded online.. basically bought a new one ? sorry for confusion.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As an aside I use a tablet for navigation and whilst it is fair to say that I get reasonable position from the internal gps its accuracy is such that the mapping can assume we are on adjacent roads or junctions and when tackling some foreign complex junctions is simply not quick enough or accurate enough leading to wrong directions being taken. We switched to a Garmin Glo which I have used for over 4 years now. It can be placed close to the screen with good sky visibility and this is a device that light aircraft pilots use, and I have found it very accurate. Recently as I was refitting my WiFi and Cellular kit on the Morelo I got an Ecodroid which is essentially a Raspberry box programmed by an Israeli that has a remote roof mounted GPS puck and I fitted that on the roof. It seems to have greater accuracy according to the app signal strength display.
So there is a good argument in my opinion for a remote GPS even if you have it built in to your tablet or phone.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thanks for all the info it’s been really helpful. Just one more question.... we’re travelling in Scandinavia at the moment. If I buy a Garmin GLO over here is there likely to be issues using it when back in the uk?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Reasonably sure you should be OK. One thing do ensure you can get a complimentary app for Apple before buying I have no knowledge in that regard. Also they have a Garmin Glo 2 out, but it has no real difference except for a marginally longer battery life which for me was irelevent as I just power it from the USB, so if you can get a better deal on an original version that would be a good move.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have you got google maps and does that work??

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes, I have google maps but without GPS on my iPad it doesn’t provide navigation.
We have a WiFi-cellular iPad Pro so it’s probably not the answer but if we connect via a Huawei google maps will give position etc.?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My husband has a Huawei phone. We’ve tried to link it to my iPad to see if we could get navigation but failed. I guess because your iPad is WiFi enabled it works for you?

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Hello there,wanted to know if anyone out there using google maps and a garmin glo gps reciever on an iPad as a sat nav? Just read on amazon where I can buy one for £66 that one of the critical reviews said he couldn’t use google or Waze? What’s your thoughts please .
Thanks for any help given.
Stuart.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have used a Garmin Glo with 2 Andoid tablets for about 4 years, to do so you need an app, BluetoothGPS on Android. However I understand that by simply pairing the Glo with the iPad in Bluetooth is sufficient for the iPad to get the NMEA data stream.

Michael

Apr 16, 2019
Bolsover
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Michael thanks but needed to know if you used google maps as a sat nav whilst connected through the glo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back