Which club? (1 Viewer)

Talljohn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadstar Rev
Exp
As a prospective new owner I think it may be useful to join one of the major motor home clubs, but there seem to be quite a few out there. Can anyone recommend one. Access to sites, insurance discount, offers etc. Is my primary interest. Thanks,

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The Motorhome Club is in fact the Caravan & Motorhome Club (CAMC), which was formerly the Caravan Club: https://www.caravanclub.co.uk.
As a member of the Motorhome Club and a member of CAMC I beg to differ and I get two magazines a month. The Caravan Club changed the name but is still legally the Caravan Club if you look at their documentation. The Motorhome Club is and always has been a separate entity.

Upvote 0

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
i cant find any of the main C&CC sites that are open all year, They appear to all close down by early Nov. Only seems to be their smaller farm sites that stay open. Plenty of the main C&MC sites stay open all year
well the sandringham estate 3 c. is open & the teversal 3 c is open. if you look there are a lot more.
that is the camping and caravan club, the other club is far to dear , for me, no thanks. ok pj.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
As a member of the Motorhome Club and a member of CAMC I beg to differ and I get two magazines a month. The Caravan Club changed the name but is still legally the Caravan Club if you look at their documentation. The Motorhome Club is and always has been a separate entity.
My apologies - you mean this organisation: https://www.themotorhomeclubinfo.co.uk

Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The C&CC is for campers, real campers that use tents. The CAMC do not allow tents and I look at as snobs for that reason.
I remember where I started out and respect anyone that camps, properly in a tent. Not everyone is as privileged as others.
For that reason I would never join the CAMC. :imoutahere:

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The C&CC is for campers, real campers that use tents. The CAMC do not allow tents and I look at as snobs for that reason.
I remember where I started out and respect anyone that camps, properly in a tent. Not everyone is as privileged as others.
Oh dear! Can we get over the fact that some have mega caravans, some ahve ancient vans and we all get along well together. I would suggest that a piece of advise I was given to follow recently is, "If you have nothing pleasant to say, then do not say it"

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough

CAMC do have some sites that allow tents, over 80 locations according to the website. Not sure why the link only says 50.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Oh dear! Can we get over the fact that some have mega caravans, some ahve ancient vans and we all get along well together. I would suggest that a piece of advise I was given to follow recently is, "If you have nothing pleasant to say, then do not say it"
My youngest son is a member of both the C&CC and the CAMC and uses a caravan. My eldest has a tent is is not a member of any organisation, I am a member of the Motor Caravanners Club and the CAMC and I use a motorhome having tugged for 42 years. Snobs are we at the CAMC, is that from personal experience? I have yet to meet one.

Upvote 0
Mar 24, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look at what the various clubs have to offer before you commit and then ask yourself how much you would benefit from parting with your cash. Personally I'm not a big fan of most UK touring parks so always join ACSI which can save on site fees off-season, especially in Europe. No magazines etc. etc. which is no bad thing.

Upvote 0

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Have a look at what the various clubs have to offer before you commit and then ask yourself how much you would benefit from parting with your cash. Personally I'm not a big fan of most UK touring parks so always join ACSI which can save on site fees off-season, especially in Europe. No magazines etc. etc. which is no bad thing.
Totally agree with that - although as rookie M-Hers we've found CAMC's CL's really good. Not keen on the handful of big, so called Club Sites we've stayed at. Many are so crammed in.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2012
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For over 50 years
We are in both the main clubs at a cost of about £2 a week, excellent value. Just booked Keswick for Christmas so they had better be open!

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I’m in the CAMC. I much prefer their sites for a number of reasons.

1. A better class of people in general. :giggler: ( this will upset a few but it’s how I feel. You may feel differently ).
2. The facilities tend to be better.
3. Hardly any tents.
4. A very strict spacing policy. This is a LOT better for less noise and more importantly a bigger gap in case of any fires in vehicle. There’s nothing worse than a bunch of noisy clowns pitching up within 3 feet of you. :mad:
5. More hard standing pitches. ( this may have changed in recent years, I have not been to any lately.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I'm also in the CAMC. The sites I've been to have been excellent. I do tend to find that when I'm looking for somwhere to stay near to a particular location that it always seems to be a C&CC that's nearest but I guess that's just sod's law! I find the app for CAMC seems to bring up a lot more CL options than the website for some reason. It doesn't seem like there are many at all on the website at all.:confused:

Upvote 0

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I’m in the CAMC. I much prefer their sites for a number of reasons.

1. A better class of people in general. :giggler: ( this will upset a few but it’s how I feel. You may feel differently ).
2. The facilities tend to be better.
3. Hardly any tents.
4. A very strict spacing policy. This is a LOT better for less noise and more importantly a bigger gap in case of any fires in vehicle. There’s nothing worse than a bunch of noisy clowns pitching up within 3 feet of you. :mad:
5. More hard standing pitches. ( this may have changed in recent years, I have not been to any lately.

Not better, quieter, yes, more likely to be considerate to others around them, yes. But better? Nope

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We joined the CAMC when we bought our first motorhome three years ago because I presumed it was part and parcel of owning one.
We used a few sites when we did a short tour of mid and north Wales just after collecting the van, but apart from using the Baltic wharf one once when we were visiting our daughter in Bristol, haven't used any sites or had any other benefits from being members. So this year I cancelled the direct debit.
We very quickly realised we prefer to wild camp or use pub stopovers in the UK rather than campsites, and now spend more time in warmer climes anyway, where a suitable aire or sosta isn't far away.
We also use the tunnel (frequent traveller shared with another) not ferries to get to France so ferry discounts don't apply.

Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
CAMC do have some sites that allow tents, over 80 locations according to the website. Not sure why the link only says 50.

They advertise 80 sites for tents but claim 2500 sites including affiliated cls etc. That's about 3 percent that allow tents. Or to put it perspective 97 percent that don't.

Upvote 0

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
When we bought our first van in 2005 we joined the Caravan Club as my cousin had been a member for nearly 50 years. It turned out that our ideas of camping were poles apart - she travels extensively, moving on every couple of days, goes to rallies in UK and Europe, meeting the same people all the time. She belongs to every club going. We prefer to go to our favourite site in South of France, pitch up and stay for 3 months at a time. It's as close as we can get to actually living in France. However, every New Year whilst we were members of CC we would join the New Year rally and have 4-5 days of good food, company and entertainment for less than one night out would have cost, even including our annual membership. Unfortunately we hated the club rules and regs on the few occasions we used their sites so when my cousin decided to do something else on New Year we cancelled our membership, joined Fun and have never looked back. As has been said many times on this forum, there are no right or wrong ways to use our motorhomes. We are all individuals and will always find what suits us even if others disagree. Join a club, don't join a club. In a couple of years you'll have the benefit of your own experience and be giving advice to other novices.

Upvote 0

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
the needy and the greedy,what what,yes that is them the CAMC no thanks, i am glad i dont need them,ok pj

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back