LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Planning ahead for next year and thinking about UK based sites and which club membership would be best for cheap / good camp site access.

The type of sites that we’ll be looking for are –

UK, Seaside/Lakes/Cornwall/Snowdonia/Scotland/Wales, Good 3G reception, PVC friendly with EHU and toilet disposal point. They should also have a pub with good beer and food within ½ mile and be reasonably quiet. Wi-fi would be a bonus.

We don’t mind being lined up and having a few rules and regs … so long as there isn’t piped music and an exercise hour!

Thanks (y)

PS Having spent a fortune on pre-van magazines and no doubt another fortune on pre-trip furniture and fittings, I was hoping to limit us to ONE club in the first year!

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not quite -
1 & 3 Non members sometimes welcome but not always. It varies from stalag to stalag.
2 Non members welcome a lot more often than the CC would have you believe :whistle:

Thanks for the correction (y) although to be honest in my eyes I'm either welcome or I'm not. I'm not going to ring up to book with my fingers crossed it'll be ok. It's their loss ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Am having a no shit Sherlock moment ,happens now and again (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pseward152

Free Member
Jun 9, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato dethleffs
Exp
I found the caravan club to be very snobby full of rules and regulations so I gave them a Miss this year and can't see me joining again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
OK – I have the answer to the questionWhich Club? But before I reveal all there are a couple of Government Health warnings –

These results are based on a very small sample of trips and may not be representative of other UK locations. Most of the research was done using data from searchforsites.co.uk with a little cross referencing on UKcampsite.co.uk. I only included in the results sites that have EHU, Toilets and showers.

OK on to the results. I researched four trips, to the Eden Project, Barmouth, Applecross and Windermere. The number and type of sites available within a 5 or 6 mile radius were as follows.

chart_zpsvfh4m5ur.jpg

While looking at the maps and websites a couple of things became clear. There are far more Independent sites with full facilities than either of the clubs. The club sites tend to be spread thinner and further from the action - on the edge of things rather than close to popular tourist spots. The C&CC club sites are often huge and cater more for families with on-site bars and restaurants. The CC sites are a bit smaller and cater more for adults. The Independents cover the whole spectrum. The CL/CS’s tend to have less amenities, but there are many more of them.

So, the bottom line(s). If you are the type of person who likes to be part of a club, to meet up with other club members and benefit from news letters and money off deals then the C&CC probably has the edge – so long as you don’t mind massive sites, out of town. The CC probably edges it if you don’t travel with kids. However. If you want to be closest to the action and have the widest choice of sites then Independent sites is the way forward.

And the winner is, well HERE of course. (y) You have a club with members everywhere, rallies and access to tons of resources (y)

If you are more into wild camping, Britstops etc. then it may be worth joining the Motor Caravanners club too. They don’t have their own sites, but they do have discounts and organise rallies.

I'm off for a lie down now!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know which CCC sites you were looking at but I've never seen a bar or restaurant on any of them.

Denise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't know which CCC sites you were looking at but I've never seen a bar or restaurant on any of them.

Denise

That would be a nightmare.

You wouldn't be able to have a pint within 6 metres of anyone else having a pint :eek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

Denise

I don't just make stuff up you know! :(:cry::crying1::blush:

Well I only found 2 sites and this Windermere one does.

Worth Noting

The on site bar/family room serves food and beverages in the evening (limited opening November to April). Caravan Holiday Homes available for puchase.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Vanman - wasn't suggesting for one moment that you'd made it up but I've never noticed that but then again I've never looked at going to Windermere! We tend to stay in the South as we only go away for weekends and short breaks in the UK. Anything longer and we go to France.

Denise

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back