EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
C&MC sites are getting very expensive, you can find better value for money out there with a bit of effort. C&CC sites can work out cheaper especially if you can get the over 60s discounts.
ezee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry to bring this up again, but seeing that the C&CC are not offering their service point stop-offs for the foreseeable future, can you advise on whether most of the CLs in either club offer chemical waste points? I'm currently looking at joining just to be able to better deal with waste.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A cl usually has chemical disposable points, but only if you’re staying on site and not for passing vans

Jan 27, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
Since 2016
I find the CCC a good deal for the over 60’s, it’s just the website that is Very clumsy when making bookings, if you join keep your confirmation emails as they scrapped the workable ‘my bookings’ section. Some clowns in charge methinks.
good luck.

Nov 22, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 746
Exp
I'm a newbie
Weighing up the pro's & con's, we have gone for the C&MHC
We will see how it goes for this summer.
Wish you all the best getting out of the big smoke! :LOL: I'm in the same neck of the woods and can't wait for more tranquil settings (albeit three kids in tow)!
Film Caravan GIF by Dennis Cartier

Oct 28, 2020
Dereham, UK
Funster No
MH
Adam wallace murray
Exp
C class since 2006
I'm looking to join one or the other of the clubs.
The main reason is to gain access to the best database of campsites in the UK.
Whist we are fairly self contained and are happy in a field for a few days with no facilities, we also are happy on 'proper' campsites with all the normal facilities.
We live in S E England, so it's the club with the most sites in the bottom right corner of the UK that would be best.

The Caravan and Motorhome Club (C&MC)
£54 per year
2,206 Sites in the UK
S E England seems to be about 150 sites

OR

The Camping and Caravanning Club (CCC)
£42 per year
1,872 sites in the UK
S E England seems to be about 200 sites

I'm inclined to go for the C&MC on the basis they have a better website, seem to have more sites, and have 'motorhome' in their name.
Are there other advantages/disadvantages I'm not aware of ?
Has anyone left one for the other ?
A word of warning on CCC. (and please excuse the rant)

Their support for customers leaves much to be desired if anything goes far wrong.

Latest example: We are currently one of their (pre-paid) seasonal pitches, for reasons I won't bore you with. They have just told us the site (among allegedly 8 others) is closing in a week and we have to leave, again along with c100 other peeps, at best guess. This is right at the start of high season, in the year of staycations being suddenly fashionable/essential!! Nothing in writing yet, just a visit from area manager then phone call from head office. Varied and contradictory stories about circumstances and refunds, promised contacts not happening, impossible to contact HQ (phones & emails seem to have been shut off, facebook postings blocked, local stewards apparently locked out of IT system) leaving nil confidence in what will actually happen and when.

Earlier example: on CCC rally in Spain last year at start of Covid. Spanish Govt announces 5 day notice for foreign visitors to leave. Rally stewards post notice announcing immediate end of rally, their immediate departure & that club will contact us to make sure we get home ok. No contact from club, no later follow-up, despite later self-congratulatory article in magazine claiming they had got all their members home!! Strange that we had to make our own arrangements then

Why did we stay with them after last year's debacle? Tolerance for an organisation doing their best in unprecedented times?? Maybe, but this time, it's all of their own making.

BTW, in 11 years membership never had a bad experience of the stewards - I suspect that like the NHS, it's a case of brilliant dedicated people doing their best with sxxt systems. Now the senior management- that's another story!

OP
OP
B
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

Their support for customers leaves much to be desired if anything goes far wrong.

Latest example: We are currently one of their (pre-paid) seasonal pitches, for reasons I won't bore you with. They have just told us the site (among allegedly 8 others) is closing in a week and we have to leave, again along with c100 other peeps, at best guess. This is right at the start of high season, in the year of staycations being suddenly fashionable/essential!! Nothing in writing yet, just a visit from area manager then phone call from head office. Varied and contradictory stories about circumstances and refunds, promised contacts not happening, impossible to contact HQ (phones & emails seem to have been shut off, facebook postings blocked, local stewards apparently locked out of IT system) leaving nil confidence in what will actually happen and when.

Earlier example: on CCC rally in Spain last year at start of Covid. Spanish Govt announces 5 day notice for foreign visitors to leave. Rally stewards post notice announcing immediate end of rally, their immediate departure & that club will contact us to make sure we get home ok. No contact from club, no later follow-up, despite later self-congratulatory article in magazine claiming they had got all their members home!! Strange that we had to make our own arrangements then

Why did we stay with them after last year's debacle? Tolerance for an organisation doing their best in unprecedented times?? Maybe, but this time, it's all of their own making.

BTW, in 11 years membership never had a bad experience of the stewards - I suspect that like the NHS, it's a case of brilliant dedicated people doing their best with sxxt systems. Now the senior management- that's another story!

We heard similar bad things about organisation (or rather the lack of it) from a former CCC site owner.
After several 'last chances' they moved their entire operation over to the C&MHC.

We therefore joined the C&MHC, who, whilst dire, are better than the CCC

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
We found in general terms that the ccc is less formal than cmc . ( little white post and signs everywhere)
Either give you access to hundreds of smaller sites with 5 van limit. We love those and use them whenever we can . Massive choice from farmers fields with few facilities to manicured gardens with shower blocks.
If you want a good comparison, google earth the CCC site in the New Forest and then the CMC site opposite. Both good in different ways…

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

Your experience with the C&CC (carefree travel) mirrors mine exactly , we were at La Manga , March 2019 and the C&CC were as much use as chocolate fireguard when it came to communication with their members on the rally sites after we were told to head for home .
We had absolutely zero help from them .
The C&MC who we had travel insurance with were brilliant and made sure we had two overnight campsites arranged ( we had our caravan with us) and a Eurotunnel crossing .
The C&CC didn't refund my cancelled ferry bookings or campsite fees which amounted to £1500 for over 6 months , useless organisation I dropped them after 18 years membership

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Been a member of both and have to say there is a lot of talk about big discounts on insurances and breakdown cover? Neither club has ever been able to provide a cheaper insurance quote to me in all the years we have been motorhoming and even the tunnel is cheaper booking direct. 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back