wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Great price! Is it good enough for what I need? Emails, facebooking, music storage?

(and before anyone humphs at my use of Facebook - I use it to keep in touch with all the ukulele players around the world!)

Ask Novatech.
Again, another company I've had good dealings with over the years.

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Now I remember why I haven't got one. Its all complete gobbledegook to me they could sell me almost anything if it was the right shape. Need a new sat nav so like the idea of being able to use a tablet instead. Do you have to set up a contract to get wifi signal etc? Like Janine don't want to use it as a phone. Also would like the 10" one - eyes not what they used to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Take a look at the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager BT.
A nice 10.1" tablet with very good specs for about £130.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Now I remember why I haven't got one. Its all complete gobbledegook to me they could sell me almost anything if it was the right shape. Need a new sat nav so like the idea of being able to use a tablet instead. Do you have to set up a contract to get wifi signal etc? Like Janine don't want to use it as a phone. Also would like the 10" one - eyes not what they used to be.

Tablets do make decent sat navs, but they have limitations.. for example, you can't add personal POIs .. if you are happy with this then there are two map methods for navigating..

1. Use Google maps (maps not on device) and an internet connection to keep the map updated.

2. Or you can download Navfree maps that do not require the internet and navigate the same as a dedicated sat nav. The maps available cover all of Europe and beyond, you download whatever you need, but they are big files so you need plenty of storage space.

In both cases the tablet MUST have a GPS receiver...

I've used two mobile phone/tablet devices..

1. Blackberry Playbook with Google maps and tethered to my BB phone.. but it was very poor.. the GPS reception on the Playbook is crap and it kept drifting off coarse .. so 0/10

2. Galaxy Ace II phone with Google maps.. can't fault it.. it keeps bang on coarse and the voice guidance is excellent .. downside of a phone is the small screen.

bottom line.. they will not beat a dedicated sat nav.. even an old Tomtom like I have.. but for occasional use they are great.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Co pilot is also very good free app but if you want a nagging voice it costs ::bigsmile::thumb:
terry

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Tablets do make decent sat navs, but they have limitations.. for example, y[HI]ou can't add personal POIs[/HI] .. if you are happy with this then there are two map methods for navigating..

1. Use Google maps (maps not on device) and an internet connection to keep the map updated.

2. Or you can download Navfree maps that do not require the internet and navigate the same as a dedicated sat nav. The maps available cover all of Europe and beyond, you download whatever you need, but they are big files so you need plenty of storage space.

In both cases the tablet MUST have a GPS receiver...

I've used two mobile phone/tablet devices..

1. Blackberry Playbook with Google maps and tethered to my BB phone.. but it was very poor.. the GPS reception on the Playbook is crap and it kept drifting off coarse .. so 0/10

2. Galaxy Ace II phone with Google maps.. can't fault it.. it keeps bang on coarse and the voice guidance is excellent .. downside of a phone is the small screen.

bottom line.. they will not beat a dedicated sat nav.. even an old Tomtom like I have.. but for occasional use they are great.

Why not? I would have thought anything a dedicated satnav can do a tablet can do.

I will be getting the tomtom software for mine when it arrives and just using my tom tom pois.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why not? I would have thought anything a dedicated satnav can do a tablet can do.

I will be getting the tomtom software for mine when it arrives and just using my tom tom pois.

yes, I suppose you can, Karl.. but I never managed it with the Playbook, and it's not doable if you use Google maps or Navfree

remember not everyone is as competent as you and I with tablets, no disrespect, but there are people on here who need help loading POIs onto a dedicated unit .. just something for them to be aware of when deciding.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Okay - my brain got fried yesterday reading specifications and reviews of both tablets and online suppliers so I decided to go to an old-fashioned shop.

I prefer the idea of having somewhere I can go and use my womanly charms if something goes wrong.

In nearby Kidderminster, PC world, Staples and Maplins are all next door to each other so it made it easy to compare the options.

I've bought one of these because it feels robust, has a high enough spec for what I need and the price seemed reasonable. Being an old-fashioned girl, I like the idea of a proper keyboard too.

http://www.geminidevices.com/10313bk.html

Please don't tell me I've bought a lemon because I just might have to kill you :Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It appears to have all the specs I would have looked for.
Jelly bean,
1GB main memory
SD Slot.

It doesn't appear to have GPS which would be a stopper for me though :Sad:

Depends how much it cost...

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
It appears to have all the specs I would have looked for.
Jelly bean,
1GB main memory
SD Slot.

It doesn't appear to have GPS which would be a stopper for me though :Sad:

Depends how much it cost...

Phew..I did take note of what you said to look out for. Thank you for your advice! :Smile:

GPS wouldn't be any use to me, so that's OK.

As for the price....less than some outlets I've seen it advertised...more than others, but they were mostly refurbished. Reviews are quite mixed but it has a 12 month warranty.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hello

Sat now at a campsite in Javea using our samsung 7" tablet which we aquired for our first visit to Spain. Payed £150 for it from Tesco and it's been brilliant for the money. Google maps is terrific which using inbuilt GPS makes is a great navigation aid alongside sat nav. Wifi is straightforward and we have used it on most campsites and free spots like MacDonalds. Other apps we have used which were free downloads like a daily diary, a budget planner and fuel costs etc. plus we have uploaded all our pics!

We use a laptop at home but this little tablet is great!

Happy travels...Dave and Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back