Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
We are contemplating having a CAT 1 alarm fitted and we cannot make our minds up which to have, what are your thought?

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Don't forget that to be a CAT 1 alarm installation, not only must the alarm be Thatcham approved but so must the installer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Don't forget that to be a CAT 1 alarm installation, not only must the alarm be Thatcham approved but so must the installer
And most insurers now ask for a photocopy of the installation certificate as proof.

I reinsured with Stavely Head Insurance and their quote was £200 cheaper once I had a Thatcham alarm fitted.
I paid £349 for the alarm, so will have saved the cost of the alarm in under 2 years.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Our Sigma S34 seems ok, but its a bit sensitive to farting spiders it seems.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I also have a Vanbitz Growler & Non Starter fitted and agree they are the dog dangly bits.

However, I'm not certain that they are Thatcham Cat 1 approved ... perhaps @eddievanbitz willl come on and confirm either way.
Yes, The Strikeback and Growler systems are Thatcham approved, and we supply Cat 6 and Cat5 Insurance approved tracking systems

Our Non Starter systems are not Thatcham approved as we will not submit them for evaluation as we don't wish the remove functionality for our customers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As an alternative have a look at “outsmart the thief“ and their basic motorhome alarm for which you can get an internal alarm as an extra if you want. I went for their platinum version which has a tracker and a remote immobiliser but it isn't Thatcham approved as apparently they (Thatcham) don't like remote immobilisers at the moment. But their basic alarm should satisfy any insurance requirements and they fitted my alarm into the MH at my house.
The Growler is a very good system, I nearly bought one, but it isn't cheap. There are other options, so have a look around

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
But their basic alarm should satisfy any insurance requirements

Not if it's not Thatcham approved it won't.

If an insurance company specify an alarm must be installed they mean a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm.

An immobiliser must be Thatcham Cat 2.

A tracker must be either Thatcham Cat 5 or Cat 6.

There is no middle ground and nothing else is acceptable. That's the whole point of Thatcham. They set standards for insurance approval.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not if it's not Thatcham approved it won't.
The one I was referring to is, as I said earlier in the post. At £495 it is one of the cheaper ones but it should satisfy insurance requirements and give some peace of mind.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Vanbitz for Strikeback with as many of the add-ons as you can afford. Having the campsite to stay on and the supply of hot chocolate (it has to be Cadbury) makes the fitting arrangements easier to manage.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Agreed with above.

Ashley gave us a lift into Taunton and gave a couple of good recommendations for a seriously large breakfast and places for lunch.

Great service

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Strikeback, no brainier
You have a MH to go places whenever it suits, so book in with Vanbitz, ask for Fun discount, take a trip to Somerset, stay on the Cornish Farm Touring Park (part of the Vanbitz empire and you may, as I did, get a free night). Job done.
Spud

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
following this post I need to fit an alarm of some description to my Motorhome but as it is Spanish registered and I get no discount for Thatcham approved it is just to warn off would be thieves and send them next door to another van !
so given that I don't need insurance discount etc what would be best system ? I am looking to have fitted in UK after Xmas. Thinking I need alarm on cab doors Habitation door and 23 x Exterior hatches and an internal sensor that can be turned off when occupied overnight.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
following this post I need to fit an alarm of some description to my Motorhome but as it is Spanish registered and I get no discount for Thatcham approved it is just to warn off would be thieves and send them next door to another van !
so given that I don't need insurance discount etc what would be best system ? I am looking to have fitted in UK after Xmas. Thinking I need alarm on cab doors Habitation door and 23 x Exterior hatches and an internal sensor that can be turned off when occupied overnight.
Do you really have 23 external hatches??

The Strikeback Growler will cover all of what you want (and the 23 hatches as well at extra cost!).

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
And most insurers now ask for a photocopy of the installation certificate as proof.

I reinsured with Stavely Head Insurance and their quote was £200 cheaper once I had a Thatcham alarm fitted.
I paid £349 for the alarm, so will have saved the cost of the alarm in under 2 years.

Jeez how much did they quote, my insurance is not much more than £200:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back