LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just booked our Tesco voucher Channel Tunnel for a month away in May/June. Quick question for you all - which is the best Stellplatze book for Germany? I was going to go for the Vicarious Books one, but have noticed there are others on Amazon. We are toying between following the Rhine down through Germany and into Switzerland, or if the weather isn't so good heading for Italy, so any book suggestions on that would be welcome too! :Smile:

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
same plans as us, :thumb:we are going out on the 19th of may for 3 weeks I just have bordatlas that's a year old and this years acsi book.:Smile:

Alan

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
We did Poland ,Germany,France,Holland, Luxembourg and we had all sorts of maps but until we bought a Bord Atlas we found it difficult to find spelplatz.
With this Bord Atlas although it is all in German you will find all the parking/campsites/spelplatz very easy to locate.
Hope this helps but make sure if you are using satnav you have a european/Germany one?
Just a thought.
Harry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Bordatlas has an app which has mapping built in so can be used off line - brilliant little app which is updated regularly. We have never bothered with the book just used this, covers much of Europe not just Germany

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I will look into the app, and install it on my mobile. When you say Bord Atlas, is that the one from Vicarious Books?

We are going on the 19th May to stay overnight at Ashford then catch the tunnel early (9.00am - early for us..) on the 20th. Then we will either follow the Rhine, or follow the sun straight down to Italy! :Smile:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just off to darts now, so will check up on the thread when I get home - its a competition night, so I shouldn't be late :roflmto:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Bord atlas is the definitive publication-but,Vicariuos Books do an 'All the aires germany' which we used a couple of yrs ago with no problems ::bigsmile:

Mike

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We used the Bordatlas last year (kindly donated by Loujess, Ivy and Sandy) and found it very useful. Just downloaded the app from google but it appears to want me to log in to use it and mentions 2 months/12 months at varying prices. I suppose they don't give it away when there's a price for the books, anybody know different? Nethernutt?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just booked our Tesco voucher Channel Tunnel for a month away in May/June. Quick question for you all - which is the best Stellplatze book for Germany? I was going to go for the Vicarious Books one, but have noticed there are others on Amazon. We are toying between following the Rhine down through Germany and into Switzerland, or if the weather isn't so good heading for Italy, so any book suggestions on that would be welcome too! :Smile:
Here you go. Bordatlas POI Downloads. :thumb: The books although not cheap, will cover most of Europe, and do you for a couple of years.

Enjoy Germany, it's a smashing country for touring, and like France, it's very MH friendly. :Smile: We find the Rhine a bit more industrial and noisier (trains) than the Mosel.
The Romantische Strasse route is beautiful.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :Smile:

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Here you go. Bordatlas POI Downloads. :thumb: The books although not cheap, will cover most of Europe, and do you for a couple of years.

Enjoy Germany, it's a smashing country for touring, and like France, it's very MH friendly. :Smile: We find the Rhine a bit more industrial and noisier (trains) than the Mosel.
The Romantische Strasse route is beautiful.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :Smile:

Hi Jock, thanks for putting those links up .... we are planning to head that way this year.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock, thanks for putting those links up .... we are planning to head that way this year.
No problems Brian. You and Joyce will love it. August and September are good months to visit, as there is so much going on, eg, Dusseldorf Caravan Salon, Rhine In Flames, Wine Festivals, Oktoberfest, etc. :Smile:

See you both soon, :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I bought the app several years ago, think it was £2.50 and then renew subscription each year for about £2. IMHO it is worth he money, you have all the maps, off line search either by current position or a particular point. You also can post reviews, put Stellplatz into "favourites" and read other's reviews. Not sure about the book but the app has Stellplatz/Aires/Sostas etc in other countries too. For a single subscription I can run it on my iPhone and iPad. And, you don't have to carry a heavy book around with you, oh and the app is updated at least once a month plus, if you can understand german, there are links to news articles about motorhoming, sites etc.
I bought the All the Aires book last year, wouldn't again as not impressed and too cumbersome to search through. I'll just depend on the app this year, not that we plan going to france this year!

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
My hair is a beautiful auburn (thanks to my hairdresser) but I have to admit to a blonde moment.... and for wasting posters time...

Cliff reminded me that our Snooper S2000 sat nav has all the ACSI sites, and the whole European Bordatlas preloaded into it.

I used the ACSI site finder on it last year but completely forgot about the Bordatlas! :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Bord Atlas 2014 is available on Amazon for £17.72 delivered! :thumb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bordatlas-2014-B%C3%A4nden-Reisemobil-International/dp/3928803581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390513099&sr=8-1&keywords=bordatlas+2014

As for the 'All the Aires' books from Vicarious, I'm not a fan because they do NOT contain ALL the aires! :RollEyes: The foreign ones, despite not being in English, are very easy to follow and much more complete.

We have a couple of good maps too, one very detailed good scale one for local planning such as places to go/see, and another for overall route planning - can't remember what they are at the mo though! :Doh:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
My hair is a beautiful auburn (thanks to my hairdresser)
Good choice of colour, coming from a natural. :thumb:

but I have to admit to a blonde moment.... and for wasting posters time...
Never noticed. Sorry, what? :winky:

Cliff reminded me that our Snooper S2000 sat nav has all the ACSI sites, and the whole European Bordatlas preloaded into it.
Ah, but have you got the Free French Aire POIs?

I used the ACSI site finder on it last year but completely forgot about the Bordatlas! :Doh:

Join the club. There are thousands of us out there. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
I used motorhome camperstop Europe it lists stops across Europe and had some very good sites in Germany and pictures along with prices, and although we went in 2013 with a 2013 guide the prices were often slightly out, apart from the free ones which were free.
Also we did find one that had since been turned into something else but as there was another 5km away it wasn't a drama.
It costs £25 but we saved that after our first 2 days.

http://www.camperstop.com/en/

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I also bought the Camperstop Europe book and was very impressed with it. There are over 7400 motorhome stopovers (over 5000 with pictures) with gps co-ordinates and it is a very easy book to use with a grid reference showing the location on map pages in the front of the book. The Germany section contains almost 2000 stopovers. :thumb:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
[HI]The Bord Atlas 2014 is available on Amazon for £17.72 delivered[/HI]! :thumb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bordatlas-2014-B%C3%A4nden-Reisemobil-International/dp/3928803581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390513099&sr=8-1&keywords=bordatlas+2014

As for the 'All the Aires' books from Vicarious, I'm not a fan because they do NOT contain ALL the aires! :RollEyes: The foreign ones, despite not being in English, are very easy to follow and much more complete.

We have a couple of good maps too, one very detailed good scale one for local planning such as places to go/see, and another for overall route planning - can't remember what they are at the mo though! :Doh:

Bord Atlas came today - £17.72 - what a bargain. Again, thanks for the heads up! :Smile:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Another book that you might like to look at is the Winzer Atlas, which is the new German equivalent of France Passion. It features vineyards where you can stay overnight for free. The vineyard owners are obviously hoping you spend some money with them, but it's not a condition of the stopover.

The first book came out last year, and the new one is due out in April. Broken Link Removed. That nice Mr Google will translate it for you. :thumb:

And if you do end up in Switzerland, the Swiss Terroir book might help defray the costs. Same principle as France Passion again, with added cheesemakers (blessed be the...) and chocolatiers.

Steve :Smile:

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
I've just downloaded this onto my phone (Android)
Broken Link Removed
The free version has 10% of the information on it, whilst the paid version has over 15000 entries. It is a product of the Nederlandse Kampeerauto Club (Dutch Camper Club) and although I haven't used it in anger yet, it looks good (and you don't need a data connection to use it)

Full version is £4.71 which shouldn't break the bank

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back