Which Battery (1 Viewer)

yamyam

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Hi, have chosen to replace existing AGM 80 ah battery with 80 ah gel from Exide. Solar charger docs indicate 110a charging rate/power. Anything else I need to check before ordering. Have Burstner. 2006 but don’t know power/output of camper/ mains charger. Is that critical?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
For optimum charging and battery life, AGM and gel batteries need a special charging profile that provides an extended timed 'absorption' stage. The settings for AGM and gel are very similar, but not exactly the same. It's quite likely there are switches to set the charging profile. If you have an Electroblock 12V distribution fusebox, it may have some small switches on the front panel. Do you have an Electroblock (EBL) and if so what model number is it?

The EBL built-in mains charger is usually 18A, which is fine for an 80Ah battery.

The solar charger is I presume 110W, not 110A. It might have switches or a menu option to change the battery charging profile. What make/model is it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

yamyam

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Solar is 110a as you rightly say, it’s Alden but can’t see any switches on the wires input panel just indicating lamps. need to find the Electroblok box to check voltage, but if it’s 18v will this be ok for 80ah Gel battery? Please forgive ignorance, but would this be the main fuse box which has the main on/ off switch, in my case it’s mounted under the double skin floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You won't have to worry about the Electroblock voltage. There is an inbuilt mains charger that charges batteries at a carefully controlled and monitored voltage. Almost all motorhomes have '12V' batteries, where the actual voltage can vary from 10V (extremely flat) to 12.8V (100% full) all the way up to 14.8V (the 'absorption' stage of charging). There are slight variations in the voltage levels and time duration of each charging stage, depending on exactly which type of battery is to be charged. You need to set those switches to the correct type, but once set, no need to think about them again.

All chargers have similar voltage ratings, set up for '12V' batteries. However they send in charge at the rate defined by the Amps. A 5A or 10A charger charges quite slowly, but if the voltages are correct they will fill up the battery eventually. Up to about 20A is OK for one battery, and if you have more than one battery a 30, 40 or even 60A charger will be OK. The 18A EBL charger is sized to be OK for one battery.

The upshot of this is, if you set the switches on the EBL for the right battery type, everything else is taken care of. The same for the solar charger, although because the amps is lower, it's less important.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

yamyam

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Thanks for your response. As I said, no switches on solar panel block, just the indicator lamps. There is a large fuse box with mains switch e- box. But no switches so must be fixed output? I’m ordering the gel exide 80 ah but please could you confirm that given I can’t change any settings, I won’t damage the battery or it will charge at a satisfactory rate and speed. Once again, thanks very much for your valued response.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It depends on exactly which mains charger you have. Some are OK, some are not so good. I don't know for sure what charger you have. I'm guessing that Burstner fit a Schaudt Electroblock (EBL) and a separate mains switchbox, with the mains charger built into the EBL. The EBL may be hidden away somewhere in a locker or cupboard - maybe other Burtsner owners could guide you.

Another popular brand is CBE, but I don't know if they are used by Burstner. Do you have a 12V distribution/fusebox with automotive blade-type 12V fuses on the front? If so does it have a model number?

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
For optimum charging and battery life, AGM and gel batteries need a special charging profile that provides an extended timed 'absorption' stage. The settings for AGM and gel are very similar, but not exactly the same. It's quite likely there are switches to set the charging profile. If you have an Electroblock 12V distribution fusebox, it may have some small switches on the front panel. Do you have an Electroblock (EBL) and if so what model number is it?

The EBL built-in mains charger is usually 18A, which is fine for an 80Ah battery.

The solar charger is I presume 110W, not 110A. It might have switches or a menu option to change the battery charging profile. What make/model is it?
That’s a good point. I’ve just switched ours over from the EBL99 to the Victron charger inverter. I think it’s default factory is Gel but I need to check

Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
we have the EBL 99 and the switch you're looking for is on the front right hand side (slightly hidden) it's just possible to see ours as it's under the passenger seat (RHD B680 Mercedes Hymer)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Some models of EBL can select Lead-acid or Gel (Blei-saure or Blei-gel). Some can select Lead-acid or AGM. Some can select all three. And the OP hasn't said if it definitely is an EBL.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you identify the model of the EBL unit, you may find a copy of the manual here..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Y

yamyam

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
The EBL unit is a E -Box transformer rectifier according to the handbook. Reich seems to be the make on a bar code sticker. The book says there is a battery selector switch, lead acid/dry fill option but it’s behind the box and the mounting position makes it impossible to find. The book says this is preset at the factory. As I said, the old battery was AGM, so perhaps the previous owner reset the box, but who knows, I can’t tell how old the battery is other than we’ve had it two years. Also the solar regulator doesn’t have any switches which I pointed out before, but charges at 110w. Exide quick assist said the 110w is ok for the 80ah gel but I suspect slow, but what about the onboard charger, could that damage the gel battery. I’m so confused!

Attachments

• D1097637-55CE-41EE-98F4-6D7574641134.jpeg
    D1097637-55CE-41EE-98F4-6D7574641134.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 66CF9B63-A984-447D-B8A0-728DCB0FFFAB.jpeg
    66CF9B63-A984-447D-B8A0-728DCB0FFFAB.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's a Reich E-Box, not a Schaudt Electroblock or a CBE. I don't know much about Reich Eboxes, but I think on the back is a switch between lead (lead acid) and gel battery types. Maybe others on here would know - I remember mitzimad had a fight with an E-Box at one time.

There's hardly any difference between the gel and AGM settings, so it's more a question of long-term degradation and reduced battery life rather than any sudden damage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back