Which axle stands (1 Viewer)

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Hi all - I am new to motor homing and have been reading about the need to grease my al-ko rear axle. I believe it is best done with the wheels off the ground to ensure that the grease penetrates to all the correct places. My question is this - I have two 2 tonnes rated axles stands which I use for my cars. My van weighs circa 3,100 Kg so will my stands be Ok just to lift the rear end ( assuming that not all the van's weight is therefore being lifted) or do I have to buy stands that are rated over 3 tons?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
2 tons per stand should be adequate.
The 2 ton rating is the safe working load (SWL) and will probably take more but as you will be under the van I would take extra precautions such as wide wooden blocks under the wheels so if it should slip or the stands fail it will land on the blocks, not on you.
Don't forget to securely chock the front wheels as well.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Good advice from John
You do not need both wheels off the ground at once! each side is separate, just unweight the one being greased.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Check the rating of your axle stands. All the ones I've seen are rated PER PAIR. So single stand of '2 tonnes' rated pair will take 1 tonne only.

The rear axle usually carries more than half of the MH weight, so for a 3100 kg it's likely to be carrying nearly 2 tonnes.

You do not need both wheels off the ground at once! each side is separate, just unweight the one being greased.

If you are only supporting one side at a time, the stand will be pushing up with more than half of the axle load. You'll notice the bodywork above the other wheel rising a bit as you jack up one side. That's because the jack is also taking some weight off the suspension on the opposite side. A similar thing will happen at the front wheel on the same side as the jack.

Think of it like this. Imagine a heavy table with a leg at each corner. If you lift one corner, you are lifting half the weight of the table. The opposite corner takes half the weight as well. The other two legs are off the ground and carry no weight.

In my opinion, a single stand from a '2 tonne' pair will not be strong enough to lift the rear corner of a 3100 kg MH.

Of course if the stands are rated 2 tonnes each, they will be fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@RichardandKaren

I bought these;
http://amzn.to/2fTiOPQ

They are 3T per stand 6T total and only £15.93

Used them quite a few times to change engine oil, gearbox oil, diesel tank and welding. @Wildbill approved of them as well so that is a good sign.

Highly recommended.

They also do a 6T per stand set for £22.59.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I also bought 2 sets of these wheel chocks;

Nice and compact, bit pricey at around £10 a set but fit nicely in my toolbox so very happy with them.

OP
OP
RichardandKaren

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
Thanks all - think I'll get those updated ones as suggested. Not expensive and far better to be safe than sorry!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back