Which are the 'quality' manufacturers of MH's (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Don't worry folks I am still soaking it up like a sponge. At 73 I am not a forum virgin and have been participating in same since about 1999. When living in Bosnia I was a founding supporter of the LandCruiser owners (old name ELCO). Such that I even sourced used spares for members from the local UN scrap dump.

However, like anyone else I am a tad stuck until sales sites are open from next week. I will be viewing all and sundry. Yes I am still in favour of quality builds, but despite recommendations, I feel a pop-top would not be suitable for use in colder temperatures (explained much earlier). Point about 'garage' is well taken and I am finding some interesting layouts using them within a 6+ metre'ish 3500kg package. It seems stretching a little longer is beneficial there. I continue my deliberations.
m

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
When living in Bosnia I was a founding supporter of the LandCruiser owners (old name ELCO). Such that I even sourced used spares for members from the local UN scrap dump.

Gornji Vakuf (GV) was a great place for picking up a nicked Landcruiser for cheap money. The stolen gear would be driven from Germany and other parts of Europe into Bosnia before having their respective engine and chassis numbers removed.

Split in Croatia was probably the best place for damaged UN vehicles in the day and if I can recall correctly there were about 500 newish 4x4s in the compound.

IMO the UN couldn't organise a pi$$-up in a brewery when it came to budgets and vehicle spending, hence the reason why the UN Bosnia mission when bankrupt in early 1995.

Good to have you on the forum ;-)

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Andrew, happy to respond but this thread is not the place, will PM.
m

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, happy to respond but this thread is not the place, will PM.
m

No need at all sir; not got any particularly good memories of the place.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your time here.

All the best,

Andrew

Riftzoner

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Whitby Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Yes, you have an extensive list but completely achievable & while I agree that German vans are pretty good, please don’t discount other brands. Most of what you want is available with the Pilote Evidence range. Big saloon lounge, seperate full size shower & toilet, Truma 6E dual fuel heating, fully winterised (including the waste water tank, solar panel as standard, Auto Gearbox, Awning, large garage, Fiat Ducato 140bhp chassis, length from 625meters up to 7.45 meters, depending on model rear fixed bed to electric rise & fall bed, 4 travelling seat capacity. The list goes on. Keenly (comfortably expensive) priced but not overpriced😉👍Good build quality, aluminium bonded (frames) double glazing & to cap it all a Great Dealer in Bill Hayes at Hayes leisure Wednesbury near Walsall. Chausson have similar layouts & also represent great value for money but I just prefer the Pilote/Bavaria build & parts quality. Burstner also do a similar model which is more expensive.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I "quality" van or any product for that matter is one that meets your requirements(y) a £250k 9 metre van might be nice but its not "quality" if you have a £50k budget and 7 metres max requirement.

Yes I think the German vans are well put together but they are usually not as cosy as British vans.
I wonder what you mean by “cosy”? Are you referring to the carpets, my non carpeted one has the benefit of any mud just wipes away from the wood surfaces leaving no trace. Certainly is cosy. I take cosy to mean warm which it certainly can get especially as the double floor insulate you from the colder underfloor area

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Agree with you about buying new. I was a tugger for years then a hirer, so we were pretty sure about what we wanted and we could only find one model that fitted our requirements.

Couple of things that you may have to compromise on.

A 6m moho will, by nature of its size, have the galley very close to the sleeping area - especially if you want a fixed bed (don't blame you, it was our choice too). The problem is that out of that 6m, you lose 1.5m for the cab and engine. Trying to then fit in a fixed bed, a shower, bathroom, galley and seating area, and you wrestle with the problem that has plagued and intrigued designers for decades. You might have to edge towards 7m to get what you want.

As said by Jon, water ingress is a problem that happens on new and old mohos. Mine is a typical Italian bus, extravagant, eccentric interior styling, bit of flair, panache, great ideas, but like my beloved Italians, occasionally they miss out on the basics. Our first decent rain shower and we had water pouring in round one of the windows. On inspection, that one window had been fitted without any sealant at all! Call to dealer and fixed quickly. We did originally look towards German, but the extra ten/fifteen grand put us off.

If you are accustomed to a bit of space, then a panel van conversion may not be quite large enough to fit what you want in, unless you design it yourself. Nothing against PVCs, and frankly I envy them as they skate past me on the autostrada. A fixed bed, and shower , and galley, and bathroom can be fitted into a PVC, but most designers look towards dual use in a PVC.

Re: LPG. For some weird reason, LPG stations seem to be disappearing in UK. We used to have one down the road. Then six miles away. Now it is fifteen miles away. This is a nuisance because we converted our gas last year to refillable. Fine for Yerp, but not so great for here.

Anyway the very best of luck in your quest! For many, a new moho is likely to be the second most expensive thing they buy. I really enjoyed the searching, the comparison work, trips to the NEC etc.
A 6 metre coach built can be had with an over-cab bed but involves a climb which for those of advancing years might be a problem, so far for my 79 years it is not. The rear lounge converts to a double and has tow seat belts back there so four can easily travel. Yes the kitchen is cheek by jowl with the rear dinette but the washroom has loads of space. For two of us it is more than plenty big enough. The only disadvantage of it is that it is tall at 3.2 metres so avoid French toll roads.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I wonder what you mean by “cosy”? Are you referring to the carpets, my non carpeted one has the benefit of any mud just wipes away from the wood surfaces leaving no trace. Certainly is cosy. I take cosy to mean warm which it certainly can get especially as the double floor insulate you from the colder underfloor area
I’m just thinking soft furnishings carpets etc, my impression is that Continental vans don’t go for that look and feel, not suggesting they are not warm thought as I would say that they are warmer through better insulation.

Anyway I will stop before this hole gets too big to get out of,

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I’m just thinking soft furnishings carpets etc, my impression is that Continental vans don’t go for that look and feel, not suggesting they are not warm thought as I would say that they are warmer through better insulation.

Anyway I will stop before this hole gets too big to get out of,
Agree, stop digging when the hole is deeper than eye level!

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Nice to have provoked some discussion amongst some!

I have near neighbours with a Pilote, so will have a chat to them about it. Having just had a serious fire in their house I think they may be living in the MH in the back garden.

m

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Don’t forget that there are some makers whose motorhome products are quite rare in this country because the makers do not target the UK, EuraMobil have a presence but they hardly push their models here. They are very well built but because they do not sell many here the models are not UK modified eg tab door on the continental side (not that this bothers us). Very little of their models have stuff specific to them so spares I have found are not an issue but may require a bit of research to locate inane or two cases.

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 243
Exp
1 year in and loving it
As someone has already said, its a compromise. We hired a MH initially, actually a make/model we were contemplating buying but after a week in it decided it was not for us. Moral - you need to spend time in it to decide its functionality for your purpose.
At risk of extending this ‘welcome’ thread even further, would you be able to comment if it was a layout issue that led to your decision and if so, in what way?

No need to quote any specific MH details, just looking to see if there any layout related concerns we might not have thought of as we consider all the options out there.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
This topic can become too emotive, for most of us buy what we can afford, in the case of some of us that may mean 'just' afford. Even hinting that some vans may be inferior, can be painful if having just bought their pride and joy, it is categorised negatively.
I was asked to offer some advice to a new couple who were looking for a motorhome, a model I knew had a history of potential problems. Without being too negative, I tried hinting about some of the issues I thought they might wish to know. Far from it, they decided quite quickly that I knew nothing and thanked me. Then bought the van. They liked the way it looked and the price was right.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
This topic can become too emotive, for most of us buy what we can afford, in the case of some of us that may mean 'just' afford. Even hinting that some vans may be inferior, can be painful if having just bought their pride and joy, it is categorised negatively.
I was asked to offer some advice to a new couple who were looking for a motorhome, a model I knew had a history of potential problems. Without being too negative, I tried hinting about some of the issues I thought they might wish to know. Far from it, they decided quite quickly that I knew nothing and thanked me. Then bought the van. They liked the way it looked and the price was right.
And time will tell one way or the other but you have to try to keep up the friendship if possible

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They bought a “quality” van then as it obviously matched their requirements😉

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Well, I didn't expect my question to be so provocative, so I hope we can all play nicely now - its my thread!

My judgement of quality is, no rats nests of cable, no loose cables where they can't be seen, and no soldered joints; well placed water pipes, pipes insulated to keep the warm in as well as the cold out. And thought placed in the fit and finish with no raw edges to timber boarding (incl particle board). Oh, and I have seen Mickey Mouse water taps fitted with microswitches to run a pump on - the sort of tat they used in boats 30 years ago.

I think I can get what I want (6 metres'ish, 2/3 berth, winterised) within £70k.

But there is quality and quality. The VW California fits the bill, even though themain bed is not permanent. Walk inside and its built like a Golf: bland, hard plastic, narrow shutlines between locker lids etc. But all of the highest quality and extremely well screwed together, some compare it with an ambulance interior. At the same level we have the Affinity. Well made, Swedish manufacturing insulation standards and with a foil covered timber interior (though the optional very 'mechanical' single bunks are an acquired taste). But why don't they protect the timber sides in the garage? Its simple enough to use some protective rubbing strips. Chuck in a couple of bikes, a genny, a couple of jerrycans and a box of supplies and after a day motoring the wear and tear will have started.

That's just aquick example of my observations so far, but next week I will start to look at more, the Adria range will be first stop I think.

MESSG 60 - how is your question relevant to this thread please?

m

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Well, I didn't expect my question to be so provocative, so I hope we can all play nicely now - its my thread!

My judgement of quality is, no rats nests of cable, no loose cables where they can't be seen, and no soldered joints; well placed water pipes, pipes insulated to keep the warm in as well as the cold out. And thought placed in the fit and finish with no raw edges to timber boarding (incl particle board). Oh, and I have seen Mickey Mouse water taps fitted with microswitches to run a pump on - the sort of tat they used in boats 30 years ago.

I think I can get what I want (6 metres'ish, 2/3 berth, winterised) within £70k.

But there is quality and quality. The VW California fits the bill, even though themain bed is not permanent. Walk inside and its built like a Golf: bland, hard plastic, narrow shutlines between locker lids etc. But all of the highest quality and extremely well screwed together, some compare it with an ambulance interior. At the same level we have the Affinity. Well made, Swedish manufacturing insulation standards and with a foil covered timber interior (though the optional very 'mechanical' single bunks are an acquired taste). But why don't they protect the timber sides in the garage? Its simple enough to use some protective rubbing strips. Chuck in a couple of bikes, a genny, a couple of jerrycans and a box of supplies and after a day motoring the wear and tear will have started.

That's just aquick example of my observations so far, but next week I will start to look at more, the Adria range will be first stop I think.

MESSG 60 - how is your question relevant to this thread please?

m
Careful with timber in the structure , sadly some motorhomes leak and timber rots, wrapping it in foil would probably accelerate the process. If cold weather use is on the cards I would not be considering anything without a double floor. We ve had double floor for years but rented a single floor one in NZ ( it was summer) it was so bloody cold in the mornings, getting out of bed was the revers of putting a foot into a hot bath.

Having said that if you are still set on a van conversion, wouldnt you be better off starting a new thread " which is the best PVC and why?"

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Getting out and into them is the only way to find what you are after
We had a short list but when we got inside some they just didn't work for us and our requirements

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
JG, thank you for your help. I have used a fully insulated moho in the mountains and fully appreciate the double floor from experience. (The same applies to a steel hulled boat if living on it in winter, especially when iced-in on the canals! Thank heavens for spray-foam).

Appreciate your suggestion to start a new thread, but if only I could stop this one! (And we now get contributions which have no relevance to the subject line). I have several times asked if we can draw a line under this, but contributors keep coming and Jim tells me he only closes threads under exceptional circumstances. Still I suppose its better than other forums where there is little if no activity.
m

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Mish, why are you bothered if it continues? Just stop looking at it, or responding to it. That would avoid people adding "contributions which have no relevance to the subject line", like mine, here; commenting on ending a thread, rather than good quality PVCs, like the Westfalia Columbus.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
JG, thank you for your help. I have used a fully insulated moho in the mountains and fully appreciate the double floor from experience. (The same applies to a steel hulled boat if living on it in winter, especially when iced-in on the canals! Thank heavens for spray-foam).

Appreciate your suggestion to start a new thread, but if only I could stop this one! (And we now get contributions which have no relevance to the subject line). I have several times asked if we can draw a line under this, but contributors keep coming and Jim tells me he only closes threads under exceptional circumstances. Still I suppose its better than other forums where there is little if no activity.
m
It isn't a MHF thread if we don't go off at a tangent ... :LOL:

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
At risk of extending this ‘welcome’ thread even further, would you be able to comment if it was a layout issue that led to your decision and if so, in what way?

No need to quote any specific MH details, just looking to see if there any layout related concerns we might not have thought of as we consider all the options out there.
Hi. It's very subjective and down to personal taste/needs but the van we hired didn't have a fixed dining table, you had to put it up when required. Great for saving space when not required but not suited to what we wanted. Also, it had bench seats facing each other which again we didn't work for us. Small things but just made us think about a layout which worked for us.

OP
OP
mish

mish

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
To quote myself....

A lot can be achieved via PM.

m

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back