Which are the best built MHs? (1 Viewer)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is showing a picture of your motorhome on your profile a brag, i didn't at first until pressure forced me too, not that it is anything special.

If I knew how to post a pic of my M/H on my profile I would. Cracked windscreen, broken bike rack and all:cry:

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Well it was all going fine until 'the post' moaning, anyway how does he not know I may only be living on £12k a week as well? :RollEyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well it was all going fine until 'the post' moaning, anyway how does he not know I may only be living on £12k a week as well? :RollEyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Quite simple :thumb: look back to your very first post that said you were married to a pole dancer and your lady wife said you were a male stripper ::bigsmile: How can we believe a word you say :ROFLMAO:
I do not know if it my post you refer to as "moaning" because you are hiding behind yet another snide post instead of saying what is what :Doh:-- perhaps Jim (Scotjimland) may have the best idea to ignore your posts :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Sorry I thought this forum was about FUN, maybe I got it wrong, certainly seems that way recently with bitchy comments by a select few :winky:

Please feel free to ignore, better that way for all :winky:

Now going back to best built, did anyone consider that when selecting their partner, or indeed cost of running? :ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
At the end of the day it depends on what layout you require for your personal needs plus what you want to do with it.

No point in buying a budget van for full time use in cold weather.

More importantly the dealers after sales service if you encounter problems

Kicking the tyres, selling and forgeting is not the policy for a satisfied and happy customer enjoying his van.

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry I thought this forum was about FUN, maybe I got it wrong, certainly seems that way recently with bitchy comments by a select few :winky:

Now going back to best built, did anyone consider that when selecting their partner, or indeed cost of running? :ROFLMAO:
Hiding yet again behind veiled post ::bigsmile: IF you have something to say specific to me or others then use the quote button :thumb: that way we know exactly what or who you are talking about :winky:As to being a fun site yes it was until you started veiled posts ::bigsmile:
terry
God knows what Lamby 55 thinks

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I am being careful NOT to name people as it is against the forum rules, hence the veiling ::bigsmile:

Time to move on from this now I think, lets just agree to disagree and get on with life, its a lovely day outside enjoy it :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Lamby55, sorry about the hi-jacking of your post :Smile:
Hymers are what most people aspire to ::bigsmile: and as such hold there price well :thumb: a BIT LIKE Rolls Royce making the best cars or should that be Merc ? :Doh::thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Bentley Oulton

Hi, we decided a few years ago that we wanted to by British built motorhomes, and our first three were the Autocruise Stargazer, Starburst (which we had from new and loved) and finally the Startrail which had the fixed bed which we wanted.

We went to Newark show in the spring and saw the new Bentley Oulton, Michael's words when we went in the motorhome were "WOW" he is not a wow man at all, so I knew what was coming.

We were invited to visit the factory for a tour and to meet the team who would be building our motorhome. We were advised when the Renault Master base unit came in and were able to visit the factory taking photographs as she was built from the bottom up, it was wonderful to see everything being fitted.

Bentley's transferred our KVH Dome, Solar Panel, and Gaslow and fitted a new bike rack and Fiamma security handle in the factory at no extra cost. We asked for various amendments to the build to suit us and everything was completed to a very high specification.

At every stage during the purchase and build we felt valued and we have never experienced this level of customer service and care on any of our motorhome purchases in the past. Our contact was Richard Bentley, and his father Gordon - far from being a suit man in the background - was an integral part of the workforce.

Our Oulton was finished on time and delivered to Fuller's motorhomes on the Monday, the alarm fitted, registered and taxed and we collected it on the Thursday!

As standard, we received a new hook up cable, silver screens and vent covers, together with an extra tension rafter so we could use our sunblocker shades.

Bentley's gave us tickets to the Renault World series at Silverstone recently, and although we could not use the VIP camping pass on the circuit (we have 2 dogs) we went to the 2 day event and were presented with 2 picnic rucksacks containing World Series caps, wind up torches and picnic sets, and 2 packed lunches. We had a great weekend.

All in all we are really pleased with the excellent build quality of the Bentley Oulton in every respect, and what has made this a special experience is the service and care offered by Richard and the workforce at Bentley Motorhomes.

Ginny and Michael

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Jealous is a very emotive word...:Sad:

IMO it's use can cause much upset...

JJ :Cool:

So is accusing people of bragging and digging up old posts, the above post about the Bentley which could be seen as bragging, but not to me, it is fascinating and I will now be researching them, so thanks Teasy2007 for sharing :thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well if you want to compare, come and pay us a visit, we have used Hymers, Autotrails, Autosleepers, Bessecar, Ci, Compass, Elldis, Euromobil, Joint, EVM, Laika, Lunar, Mirage, Swift, for you to prod and peruse over, various ages and models.

We also have new AutoCruise, Hobby, Pilote, Swift motorhomes in stock and at the end of the month the new Euro5 Autotrails

Peter

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I was in Brownhills some time ago and the sales rep pointed out the van below.

He then said.... "That could you yours for £50,995, problem is its not got a toilet"

Would I spend £51k on a van with no bog? Nope...

For an extra £8k you can get a full A class pilote from Biggles.
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Pilote-Aventura-G740-LCA-Motorhome-2011.html

No contest..

Why pay that amount of dosh? My Topaz is simular quite old no frills like the new ones, 96 cost £15K four years ago.......... Del

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Why pay that amount of dosh? My Topaz is simular quite old no frills like the new ones, 96 cost £15K four years ago.......... Del

Should not say this but could not agree more, my cars eleven years old now and still going strong.

Peter

STonyE

Free Member
May 29, 2011
N.E. Scotland
Funster No
MH
Renault Luner H622
Exp
I'm a newbie
Check out my lunar H622 in the for sale
very good van, and it's ONO :thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Well 10 pages of replies and no-one has mentioned KNAUS!!

Brilliant build - very sturdy, brilliant design. love it!

OP
OP
L
Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Maybe - but without the build quality of German motorhomes. As already mentioned VERY diplomatically - 'US RV' and 'quality' are not terms usually seen together.

The question posed was 'What is the best built ... ' not 'What has most bells and whistles'.

A HOBBY would be my first choice if I could afford one, and in particular a 750 Exclusive or, a bit smaller, the exquisite VAN L Exclusive. All beautifully built !

I have not seen a Hobby for sale, I'll track them down.

Thanks
Lamby55

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Oh dear, Oh how very dear !!

I saw the Concorde reviewed on the Caravan channel over the weekend - all £160,000 of it:Eeek:

I wasn't all that impressed with anything except the boot size to be honest.

I was looking at a Burstner Elegance (longingly) a few months back for £89000 and thought that topped the Concorde.

I agree with Jeanluc though in terms of the short list.

You, looking at the Caravan Channel !!!!
You need to get out more !!!!
Get your bum to an MHF meet !!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Not unlike yourself, dear sweet Marie !!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
See you at Zahora, you can chastise me there !!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Were you referring to the "sturdy" bit or the "brilliant design" Steve? :winky:

Careful how you answer that - your enjoyment of Zahora could depend on it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Everybody,

We are newcomers to this interest. I am 56 and am planning retirement. I intend buying a Marquis Majestic 145 as a starter because We like the layout and the size.
What I really want to understand is who makes the best MH? Everybody knows which companies produce the best cars, and I am sure that we are not buying the "Volvo" of the MH world, but for future musings can someone give me the BMW, Merc, and Rolls Royce marques of the MH industry please?

Brian

Well Brian you may by now have realised that your question is just about impossible to answer as you asked a collection of motor homers. We all have very different and particular ideas as to what constitutes the best MH.

At the end of the process you will buy the one you feel most comfortable with and other MH's experience will count for nowt. You will decide how much you want to pay & which layout will suit your intended use, & that is something that others cannot give you.

We have had a series of MH's over the years each one provided us the experience we wanted at that time. They were different sizes build quality and layouts but all filled a need at that time, and then we moved on to try a different configuration.

So I don't have a recommendation of which is best, we all have to make our own minds up as to what suits us best. View as many as you can, preferably without the salesman's patter, and don't rush in until you feel confident to make the decision based on your own opinion.

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No

FUN ? Oh!

And there was me thinking it was all about you and Johns Cross Motors both ! :RollEyes:

OP
OP
L
Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Lamby55, sorry about the hi-jacking of your post :Smile:
Hymers are what most people aspire to ::bigsmile: and as such hold there price well :thumb: a BIT LIKE Rolls Royce making the best cars or should that be Merc ? :Doh::thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

As somebody said very early on in this post, " what a can of worms" but what great fun also. I have read the replies and what a lot I have learnt! you cannot pick this knowledge up in a magazine or a book, of which I have bought many.

I have decided that my first priority will be the layout. A rear lounge for myself and my wife and a table at the front for computer work etc.
The spec on the Majestic 145 certainly looks good so I hope that it serve me well as a first MH.
I want to start another line of information regarding collecting a new MH, they are so complicated regarding water pumps, heat exchangers etc is there a commonly know check list I should go through before signing the cheque? I would prefer to leave the dealership without the MH than to go on my first trip and find that we do not have a working fridge or no heating.
I am not sure how forums works so I'll start a new topic as well as this.

Please forgive my inexperience but I will learn about the etiquette of forums.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back