Which Alarm/tracker Or Both? And Who To Install (1 Viewer)

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi all,
Can anyone advise me through the minefield of alarms and tracking systems?
Am new to m/hing and just about to collect new home from Germany. Also need to get UK certificate of conformity if anyone can suggest a dealer

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Trackers...... If your motorhome cost more than £60,000, there is a fair chance that you will be required by your insurance company to have a tracker fitted.
Trackers are basically mobile phones that 'know' where they are. They can be an inexpensive toy that you fitted, or the kind that has an annual charge plus a substantial initial cost compared to the DIY type.
Only the professionally fitted units with an annual charge (+/- £140+ the Unit and fitting) are usually acceptable by an insurance company; they also have a list of acceptable units. A person will come and fit the unit in a 'secret' place. It may depend upon the van being driven to charge its battery or they can power it directly from your system. Here, having a solar panel or hook-up would be an advantage.
You are supposed to inform the Tracker company if you travel on a ferry when the van moves but not under its own power.
I had mine fitted, by choice, after having had a van stolen. Ironically, my insurance company at the time put UP the premium as my van had been modified, I left that company immediately.
To date it has saved me nothing but it could. I am not aware of having it and would never put a sticker advertising I have one, as the first thing a thief would do is search for it. I had a few phone calls last year telling me my van had been moved, it had not but it worried me for a while as I was away from home. For insurance and accidents, which are more likely than theft, I have a dash cam that records everything that happens through the windscreen and cost less than £40.

Alan

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Alarm systems....... most (but not all) insurance companys expect your van to be fitted with an alarm system that conforms to a Thatcham standard. There are several about but expect to spend £500+ to have one fitted. Eddie from VanBitz (and a member) sells a well respected unit called "Strikeback" and offers a back-up service if needed.
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's an insurance company requirement for a tracker forget the DIY ones. It will have to be a Thatcham Cat 5 or Cat 6 installed by an approved installer as Alan says. If it's not an insurance requirement and you just want one personally I would say the DIY ones are still a waste of time and go for a proper one. Even if it's not a requirement your insurer should still give you a discount.

Alarms. If you want or need one then it should be a motorhome specific one, not just a mackled up car one which is what a lot of companies will fit. The Vanbitz Strikeback gets my vote as well.

Pay your tenner to join and @eddievanbitz will even give you a discount (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Violet1

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Thanks for your help, am lucky or not to exceed the £60k mark, and insurers are insisting on tracker . Wasn't sure about alarms but did meet the vanbitz gang at p/borough show, have also been told cobra track plus very good if anyone has any knowledge on these?

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am sure that Cobra are fine but check out on Google who most Motorhomers go back to. This is partly due to the fact that Eddie is a person you can talk to, as you have and that their back-up, even over the phone, is with someone who knows what they are talking about. I believe that VanBitz also sell trackers.
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Thanks for your help, am lucky or not to exceed the £60k mark, and insurers are insisting on tracker . Wasn't sure about alarms but did meet the vanbitz gang at p/borough show, have also been told cobra track plus very good if anyone has any knowledge on these?

We have one on ours.
Had to remove the vehicle engine battery - Cobra were on the phone in less than a minute checking why the tracker had given an alert.
They can be flexible with the subscription costs if it let be known they are quoting against Tracker ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My new to me Hymer cost me under 20k just under 2 years ago, I looked at various alarm systems on the market but the Vanbitz Strikeback and Growler systems are the only ones that are specifically designed for motorhomes.
Not cheap but compared to loosing your motorhome a sensible investment.
If in the future you do sell your Moho it would increase the value.
I can even remotely disabled the engine via my phone with the Growler system.
I have no connection with Eddie or Vanbitz other than a very satisfied customer.

Upvote 0

Huckleberry

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Essex
Funster No
MH
C lass
Exp
15 years
And another vote for Van Bitz. Plus they are always willing to talk over the phone in the unlikely event of a problem.
VB were great at changing fitting times due to vehicle delivery times and have many options to choose from.
Taunton is good for a day out and VB have good coffee whilst you pay the bill.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back