Which A-frame? (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Probably a ‘horses for courses’ question but I’m looking for help with choosing which A-frame fitter to go for.

At Lincion I had a good chat with the rep from TAF Chesterfield and their system sounds good but I’m confused about their braking system. My nearest supplier is, I think, Towtal in Stoke who appear to be a more established company but cost a lot more.

So, has anybody used TAF? Are they any good, or should I pay the extra and go with Towtal?

Also what braking method - I’m looking to tow a Citreon C1 so not really much weight to worry about?

Thanks muchly.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Towtal, heavy a frame but necessary on my Kia Rio. I ordered the RVi 2 brake system and when I went for fit they fitted a frame and then informed me they hadn’t got the RVi.
After two weeks being fobbed off I ordered it direct from the US and received it within 48 hours.
It’s a good system which allows reversing (limited by steering) it has a wireless unit for in the motorhome which monitors performance and allows adjustment.
To summarise this was seven years ago, a good system and a frame but poor service at the time.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We used Towtal about a month ago to have a tow bar and all the extended frame needed. They must of improved their customer services a lot over the last few years as it was very good Helpful and friendly. Very pleased with their work - hubby checked it over and said it was a smashing job.

The garage was full of motorhomes and they seemed very busy. Hubby got talking to one guy who has traveled down from Edinburgh in his little two car to have a A frame fitted as like their work rather than go to someone closer!

Would highly recommend.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I am very happy with the A=frame system I have, servo assisted electronic braking and dealers around the country. Maybe not the cheapest but as in all things you pays your money and makes your choice. Agents throughout the country.

Link Removed

Dave

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had a Fiat with a Car-A-Tow frame.. came fitted with the car , it was very well constructed and I like the fact that it didn't use the car towing eyes to attach it.

Using the towing eyes is a common method, but the towing eye on a car is not designed for towing at an angle.. nor are the eye bolts, they are primarily fitted for lashing the car during transportation on a car transporter or on a ship. .. They can also be used for recovery by breakdown truck using a straight pull draw bar. They were not designed for use with an A frame.

The Car-A-Tow has towing frame bolted to the car chassis.. this is far stronger and IMV safer than using the car towing eye. The A frame attaches to it with two pins .. with clips... very easy and safe.

Braking was by Bowden cable attached to the foot brake pedal.. simple but effective..

It also had a jockey wheel so before or after hitching you could drive the car with the bar attached to line it up or to reverse off..

Reversing with an A frame is almost impossible, perhaps a few meters before the wheels go full lock.. if you must reverse, it's almost certain you will need to unhitch and drive it.. this is where the jockey wheel comes in very useful .

I would recommend this frame.. http://www.caratow.com

A few pics of mine just before I sold it

DSC_6823.jpg DSC_6824.jpg DSC_6825.jpg DSC_6828.jpg DSC_6834.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm afraid we didn't have a good experience with Towtal.....here's a thread that we posted about it https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/towtal-a-frames.171549/

We then went on to use TAF Chesterfield, that also had it's problems with customer service but can't fault the product. I'd be happy to recommend TAF just be aware of the inconsistent information given by the receptionist (owner's wife) - she can lie for England!
We posted about them too - https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/taf-chesterfield-a-frames.171574/

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Very happy with my TAF A frame. So much lighter and better made than the back breaking one I used previously. Some people say that braking efficiencies can not be achieved with overun brakes but I think this is nonsense. The weight of the car pushing on the brakes in an overun system is plenty enough and it automatically adjust to what is needed. I don’t see how an electronic inertia system can better this.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We used tow bar 2 tow car and was very pleased with them .

Another vote for towbars2towcars. We have had two of their cars and found their system easy to use and fool proof to set up.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
One to remember, when getting a frame fitted , if front chassis member is replaced make sure you get the original chassis member to revert if necessary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back