Which 4g router for the house and van? (1 Viewer)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We are currently trialling using a phone as a mifi in the house. Seems to be working ok.
If after a month its ok would look to buy a proper 4g router.
The question is which one?

Must have ability to connect external aerials for when used in van.
Dont want a battery, will rely on plug top supply at home and 12v in van.
Must have lan sockets for in house.

Tp link tl mr6400 at about £75,. Or can you suggest others?

Should we future proof and get router with both 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi?

We do not game, so its biggest use will be watching tv or a film.

Suggestions please.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Waiting till 5g hits kesgrave and then get a 5g mifi so we will use it at home and away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm too looking at ditching the land line & been looking at the TP link router for home. We use a Huawei 5577 mifi the van. If you already have a mifi why not carry on using that in the van, that's what we will be doing.

When away I will take the SIM from the home router and put in the mifi and put a PAYG SIM in the home router so we can connect to the home network occasionally while away.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a tp link mifi in our static, there is an outdoor aerial to boost the 4G signal, has an EE data card in it and it works fine, 2ipads, 2 phones, usually use between a half and 1 GB a day, and the sky box, so don’t normally use it for tv but now and again on the fire stick for football, have to be careful not to download anything in HD and stay away from YouTube and Netflix as it gobbles up data, which our granddaughter found out when she sat in the bedroom watching Netflix, son got a shock when I phoned him to say that 20 GB went in 24 hours.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I'm too looking at ditching the land line & been looking at the TP link router for home. We use a Huawei 5577 mifi the van. If you already have a mifi why not carry on using that in the van, that's what we will be doing.

When away I will take the SIM from the home router and put in the mifi and put a PAYG SIM in the home router so we can connect to the home network occasionally while away.

Our current mifi is only 3g. We dont need internet at home it we arnt there so having just one 4g router seemed ok and use in house or van.

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I have a tp link mifi in our static, there is an outdoor aerial to boost the 4G signal, has an EE data card in it and it works fine, 2ipads, 2 phones, usually use between a half and 1 GB a day, and the sky box, so don’t normally use it for tv but now and again on the fire stick for football, have to be careful not to download anything in HD and stay away from YouTube and Netflix as it gobbles up data, which our granddaughter found out when she sat in the bedroom watching Netflix, son got a shock when I phoned him to say that 20 GB went in 24 hours.

Can i ask which tp link model you are using?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Waiting till 5g hits kesgrave and then get a 5g mifi so we will use it at home and away.
5g will only be available in large towns and cities it will never be available all across countries. Transmission distances are far shorter and it needs far more masts to give decent coverage. Not worth worrying about, may be a diffent story in 10 years time, probably won't worry most Funsters.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Are you using this one, has it worked well?
Yes that is the one we got. We had another HUAWEI model , but we needed an Ethernet connection to connect to another “gadget “. It seems to work better now than the previous model, although it is bulkier than the older one. It can run on 12 volt and I did get someone to fit that for me. Which involved cutting the plug connection box and finding a live feed.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
[
Can i ask which tp link model you are using?

Just looked it up at amazon as the one we use is in out static near Lancaster and we won’t be there till Thursday.
It’s a M7350 4G lite.
When we arrive and switch it on it’s pugged in and fully charged all the time, can be unplugged and used in the car, approx 8 hour battery life.
We have a 4G booster which brings a stronger signal inside, this is not physically connected to the tp link and definitely improves the signal.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
[

Just looked it up at amazon as the one we use is in out static near Lancaster and we won’t be there till Thursday.
It’s a M7350 4G lite.
When we arrive and switch it on it’s pugged in and fully charged all the time, can be unplugged and used in the car, approx 8 hour battery life.
We have a 4G booster which brings a stronger signal inside, this is not physically connected to the tp link and definitely improves the signal.
That one is only a Mifi doesn't have any ethernet ports so you can't connect to a wired network.
Also not a good idea to leave battery powered ones permanently on charge.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
That one is only a Mifi doesn't have any ethernet ports so you can't connect to a wired network.
Also not a good idea to leave battery powered ones permanently on charge.
It’s only on when we are there so for2 or 3 days, powered off and switched off at the plug otherwise.
I have no need for an Ethernet lead, can connect all our devices to it

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm playing with a Telonika RUT955 at the moment for home and possible MH use. It is probably over the top as it has GPS built in - they do other models. It isn't the easiest to mount in a vehicle as it has no "feet" being designed for rail mounting. But the web interface is excellent and it can be run from 9 to 30 volts which is something to bear in mind with alternatives. Can they survive on the 14.4 volts you may see across a leisure battery unless you use a stabilised power supply? They may well do but best to check.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm playing with a Telonika RUT955 at the moment for home and possible MH use. It is probably over the top as it has GPS built in - they do other models. It isn't the easiest to mount in a vehicle as it has no "feet" being designed for rail mounting. But the web interface is excellent and it can be run from 9 to 30 volts which is something to bear in mind with alternatives. Can they survive on the 14.4 volts you may see across a leisure battery unless you use a stabilised power supply? They may well do but best to check.
Looked like a nice bit of kit until I saw the price - Ouch!

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Crikey I’m now onto MiFi data Simms....in my previous MH I had a Huwaiwhai MiFi and a 4g roof antenna. Put a 50gb data Simm in for £30 a month and it was fine although made sure I wasn’t streaming HD. I have now got to sort out another one, still have the MiFi but the aerial went to meet its maker (long story).

Now I have discovered that Vodafone don’t do that particular Simm anymore and have switched to unlimited for £37 a month....HOWEVER for roaming its capped at 20GB. Is there a way of getting true 50GB plus data whilst roaming ?

OP
OP
S

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Voxi are 45gb for £20 a month. No contract. Currently offering 60gb for £20. No restriction in eu for data but may ? only offer 60 days roaming.
Uses vodaphone network. No telephone contact, online speak only.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hmm that could have been good....but for the 60 day roaming restriction....I was wondering what all this using home router thingy was about that Lenny HB mentioned and the telonika thingy that DBK mentioned...is that better than using a MiFi....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hmm that could have been good....but for the 60 day roaming restriction....I was wondering what all this using home router thingy was about that Lenny HB mentioned and the telonika thingy that DBK mentioned...is that better than using a MiFi....
No, if all you want is WiFi in the MH. :)

A router, or at least the one I bought, doesn't get a better signal although it does produce a stronger WiFi signal according to my experiments. But if you need LAN ports for some reason then a router is probably the best choice. They are also probably more suitable for being plugged in long term. Downside, apart from price is they are bulkier than a MiFi.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Ah right OK....just got to find a 50gb plus roaming data sim for my huWayway WiFi then

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Ah right OK....just got to find a 50gb plus roaming data sim for my huWayway WiFi then
Vodafone Sims up to 100gb give you the full amount when roaming, the unlimited one restricts you to 25gb roaming.
Virgin (on EE) unlimited deal allows full use roaming providing your roaming use is not more than your UK use over a rolling 4 month period. Just make sure you do loads of streaming before going away.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Vodafone Sims up to 100gb give you the full amount when roaming, the unlimited one restricts you to 25gb roaming.
Virgin (on EE) unlimited deal allows full use roaming providing your roaming use is not more than your UK use over a rolling 4 month period. Just make sure you do loads of streaming before going away.
I looked into this a lot a year ago. I don’t think they do a 100gb data Simm or even a 50gb data Simm that is for use in a MiFi device....reason being that it is not so easy to use such amounts of data on a phone whereas it is if you are linking to from say an IPad or Mac book or whatever to stream Netflix etc. They do a Simm only for a phone but I was warned (not by Vodafone I hasten to add) that if Imtook a Simm only meant for a phone ie one with texts etc and put it in a MiFI device then after using about 20GB they would step,down the speed so much that it would t do the job. Now I don’t know if they would do that or not but I thought better to play safe and get the 50gb data Simm meant for a Mifi.....but they no longer do that....only the unlimited and if you use more that 20GB whilst roaming they charge £5 or something per extra 2Gb.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I believe they again don’t allow more than 20GB when roaming....only in the UK....I could be wrong of course but if you go onto their forums that is what it seems to say....they don’t shout it from the rooftops though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I looked into this a lot a year ago. I don’t think they do a 100gb data Simm or even a 50gb data Simm that is for use in a MiFi device....reason being that it is not so easy to use such amounts of data on a phone whereas it is if you are linking to from say an IPad or Mac book or whatever to stream Netflix etc. They do a Simm only for a phone but I was warned (not by Vodafone I hasten to add) that if Imtook a Simm only meant for a phone ie one with texts etc and put it in a MiFI device then after using about 20GB they would step,down the speed so much that it would t do the job. Now I don’t know if they would do that or not but I thought better to play safe and get the 50gb data Simm meant for a Mifi.....but they no longer do that....only the unlimited and if you use more that 20GB whilst roaming they charge £5 or something per extra 2Gb.
They do, I have a 50GB data sim from vodafone which I bought in 2018 I think. They then had 100GB ones but I missed out on those! Whether they still do now I haven't checked but I can use all my 50GB outside the UK have had no problem on ten or eleven week trips.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Now days phone sim's work in Mifi's without any problems.

At the moment Vodafone are doing a 60gb sim then it's unlimited it changes every month last month they had a 100gb.

I'm looking to ditch my landline in June I probably need more than a 100gb a month at home as we appear to do more streaming now than live TV. Unfortunately my ISP doesn't log streaming data so I can't check how much I'm using.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
They do, I have a 50GB data sim from vodafone which I bought in 2018 I think. They then had 100GB ones but I missed out on those! Whether they still do now I haven't checked but I can use all my 50GB outside the UK have had no problem on ten or eleven week trips.
Yes I had the same but it went to it’s maker in the sky.....and no they don’t do them any more now...well I can’t find them anyway....they now do unlimited data Simms.....but as I mention only allow 20GB of roaming then extra £5 or something per extra 2GB.....unless of course someone knows differently...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back