Free Member
Mar 9, 2012
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Old hitop VW T25, & other
Exp
40 years +
Which vw 1.9d watercooled engine will fit our 1982 T25 van? And where best to look for one? We are urgently looking to replace the 1.6 watercooled diesel engine which finally died in a noisy smokey way last week and is beyond repair. Van is in fairly frequent use (except right now of course with engine out), and was due to be on a campsite for the next 6 weeks with assorted grandchildren. Engine needs to be one with compatible mountings and connections, rather than one needing chassis alteration.

We have a guy lined up to fit a replacement but need to find one. Clues we have from him - none of which mean anything at all to me as a non-mechanic, so apologies if I'm writing them wrongly :Eeek:
are that it needs to be a non-ECU engine. AEF,1Y,!X,or KY(1700). Cold run spark lever (cable). One live feed wire for stop solenoid. No wires going to injection. Indirect injection.

Oh and please do tell me which forum section I should be posting this in if this is the wrong one.

We are at Bromyard, Herefordshire.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What you describe sounds very much like a MK3 golf none turbo from around the early 90s. Something like a bog standard CL or rabbit.
If so its also a good contender for the use of biofuel.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might be better to look for the skoda lump.
best to get a non fly by wire set up .it is possible to use the fly by wire but you need part of the speedo cluster as well. you can by a adapter box these days usually from a german crowd . but i would pick up a skoda lump and change flywheel and clutch etc .
the other way isuse an adaptor and put the 5cyl audi lump in . this is all possible .i used to sell a 4cyl adaptor to put golf passat petrol engines into the wasserboxer vans . i sold the adaptor to another chap down here . he then went on to do the 5cyl and the fly by wires . if you need help pm me i can give you his number. i think or can get it i,m sure .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the best way to find out what you need is check out the vw forums there will be hundreds will have been down this road in the past.

OP
OP
B

Breconeer

Free Member
Mar 9, 2012
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
40 years +
engine found and fitted - but

Engine found and fitted. Works nicely. Also found and fitted a new fridge. But a hit-and-run truck driver gouged the whole of one side of the van while parked on a street in Cheltenham, tearing both wheel arches, both doors, etc. Fortunately a bystander noted enough of a description for us to go look down the street he turned into, where we found and photographed him and his truck - his truck liberally marked with our white paint marks, and ours liberally marked with his green paint. Despite which he denied it. Still involved with insurers at the moment. :Sad:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ah the ole truckers best defence
Never felt a thing Governor Honest:RollEyes:
I involved the police in a very similar incident, they were very help full in gathering the evidence, even tracked the truck down for me from the times I gave of the damage, they had local knowledge of what lorries ran down what roads on a regular basis from local firms:thumb: and nailed him:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wilfredes

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
United States
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2009
I'm awesome like that!
ukk.jpg

kkul.jpg

OP
OP
B

Breconeer

Free Member
Mar 9, 2012
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
40 years +
Struggling to find a left-side sliding door (rhd van) for a T25 van of this year (1982), so it looks like our local bodybasherman might have to untwist the damaged one and rebuild it :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back