Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We started life in Manchester, me in Sotckport actually, and don't want to return. Spent 30 years in Kent and thought it is a lovely county, just a shame soooo many people want to live there.
We saw Asford grow from what was a fairly decent small town that has become mors like a London suburb.
We didn't want to move from the village on Romney Marsh we lived in, close to Rye and the beach as boating and water skiing was my thing in those days, But then the kids moved out, son in Lincoln and daughter in Falkirk near the wheel. So on retirement we decided to buy a MH and for 2 years we traveled all over the UK looking for where we wanted to live.
Eventually Dumfries & Galloway was our choice and never regretted it. We do our trips in the winter to southern Europe but we are always ready to come home, back to the place we enjoy, and we will never leave.
We have traveled extensively but never found anywhere that we thought 'this is better than home'.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We started life in Manchester, me in Sotckport actually, and don't want to return. Spent 30 years in Kent and thought it is a lovely county, just a shame soooo many people want to live there.
We saw Asford grow from what was a fairly decent small town that has become mors like a London suburb.
We didn't want to move from the village on Romney Marsh we lived in, close to Rye and the beach as boating and water skiing was my thing in those days, But then the kids moved out, son in Lincoln and daughter in Falkirk near the wheel. So on retirement we decided to buy a MH and for 2 years we traveled all over the UK looking for where we wanted to live.
Eventually Dumfries & Galloway was our choice and never regretted it. We do our trips in the winter to southern Europe but we are always ready to come home, back to the place we enjoy, and we will never leave.
We have traveled extensively but never found anywhere that we thought 'this is better than home'.

You can't really beat D & G for unspoilt, quiet, beautiful scenery:thumb:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I lived in Australia for a year and loved it.

So, WA down in the wine region would be ideal.

Clare's Scottish and I've always said I would move up there at the drop of a hat. Clare won't, though.

I think I could live in the US very happily, too.

My problem where we are (Berkshire) is it's too overcrowded and getting too overdeveloped. Far too many traffic jams. Far too many people.

But a warm sunny spring day, the smell of freshly mown grass, a village pub, winding country lanes and bluebells. Hard to beat, you know. Shame it doesn't happen more often.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You can't really beat D & G for unspoilt, quiet, beautiful scenery:thumb:

The Scottish Borders are joint equal!

I love it here and would only move if forced to do so after the referendum or for a house as good as this one where we could kayak from the garden.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Spain for May and June.
France for July.
UK in August and September
Nepal in October (trekking)
Thailand in November and December (diving, wildlife, Bangkok)
New Zealand in Jan and Feb.
France for skiing in March.

Not sure about April. Maybe just go on holiday somewhere ....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it was the UK we'd go for North Wales, somewhere near Porthmadog. Not because Porthmadog is the region's vibrant cultural capital, but because it's within easy reach of all the other places we like round there.

Abroad it would be France's Charente coast without hesitation, possibly Ile de Re if we could afford it, but Oleron would be a good second if we couldn't.

Mind you, the thing is we can live in BOTH of those places whenever we want because we have a MOTORHOME (Yaaaaay!).

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Berkshire born, Berkshire breed, strong in the arm but thick in the head.
If i had to move it would be to the Berkshire/Wiltshire boarder

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I will live my days in the uk

We are on the verge of selling up and moving

It's making the decision to leave the place we have lived in for 28 years

Through thick and thin

selling our home for a bar of gold

Dosnt seem or feel right but needs must

A bungalow is required for us for the future

But where anywhere has got to be better than Thurrock in essex

Trouble is we have 2 grand daughters across the road

And a daughter in tilbury

But our money dosnt buy a bungalow in thurrock that suits

So further afield within an hours travel which gives us about 50-60 miles

I'd like suffolk norfolk but it's just a little 2 far

For later in life we feel

It's hard getting old. Escape when your young is my thoughts

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Marshall Islands, then I can start my coral propagation business:winky:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I like the Leicestershire countryside, couldn`t live in a town, ideally I have always wanted to live in Norfolk, was going to when the girls were small but didn`t, my second daughter moved there three years ago, and loves it, wouldn`t come back here, perhaps one day, although when you get older your friends are here, who knows what is round the corner, ever hopeful that1s me, if not back to my families village. A truly old fashion village a chocolate box one, not many of those left now.

Margaret

Morrigan

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Iveco
Exp
I'm a newbie
I like where I am. It is very rural but still close to shops and the like.
I look out of any window and see fields, my dogs are able to race about being dogs, and although my birds can be noisy, my neighbours are tolerant.
I have a wee garden, and my neighbour is happy for me to use her otherwise unused quarter acre for growing veg. I have Iris if I have an opportunity to get away so am perfectly happy with my location.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We love Motorhoming as well - different destinations, different stops, home is where you put the levelling ramps...

BUT - if I had to say a forever place, where we could live for the rest of our naturals... Kalami - North East Corfu - Heaven on Earth. Nuff said :Smile:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Where would you live

In France but south or south west to get better weather. Apart from the open space and their attitude to life I like their attitude to rules: if you don't like it, ignore it. Odd, considering they were founder members of the common market, but tons better than our forelock-tugging approach. Pity the cost of living is so much higher than Spain, but worth it.::bigsmile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Remember this, "the grass may be greener over the other side, but it will need cutting more often" Im staying put

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
We are really lucky to have a good location in the beautiful county of Devon, and it its here that we will always call "home". But I have been lucky enough to live in several counties and travel to many many more when I was at sea, and none of them made me really want to stay.........except..........South Africa.

Such a beautiful country spoilt by the greed and intolerance of man. Maybe one day ..................

The Tinca's

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I like where I live, every conceivable wholesale and retail outlet within spitting distance yet the countryside is but a stroll away. I like hustle and bustle and lots of people around me. Given the funding then I would become the husband of the wives of Beverley Hills.:Cool:

Money is not an issue when you are young, you can be happy anywhere but over 40 then anywhere is only as good as your bank balance allows it to be.:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Originally from Tyneside I traveled all over the world in the Merchant Navy so I've seen a lot. Having lived in the South West of Scotland for 40 years, 10 of them in retirement I can't think of a better place to be. Crime almost non-existent, weather not bad, scenery to die for and easy access to the West of Scotland. Downside is that the M6 is two hours away for when we head off in the van and Dover is 500 miles away.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
General theme running through this thread is we want to live in a not to urban area and quiet. :Smile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Reading the thread....Ive come to the conclusion that its a good thing we don't all agree on the best place to live.................or else it would be bloody crowded there !

barry

ps don't come to East Sussex its 'orrible

barry:Smile:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We love the south of France, and dream of a retirement place in Aups, which continues to provide so many happy holiday memories. However, we'll keep it a dream, as that's always so much better than the realisation. After all, if you've achieved all your dreams, where is there to go from there?:winky:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Whilst we're happy where we are at the moment, I don't see us spending the rest of our lives here in this particular area........as WillH said, we're so far away from the ferries for the Continent. Yet not far to get over to Ireland......

We've thought about selling up and moving to France, buying something with a gite to rent out. But the older we get the more scared we become of making the move:RollEyes: As long as we have a foothold in Scotland then we could always come back if things don't work out elsewhere.........if we won the lottery, I would love to go back to Carmel and buy something gorgeous looking out across the ocean.

Well, we can dream can't we?:thumb:

Margaret

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
mh virgins you and me.i would love to move over their.just to scared.:Sad:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
10 Years here in France and happier now than when we arrived !! Can converse fairly well and admin all sorted so initially a bit more stressful. Can't imagine living anywhere else at the moment. Don't feel I could return to the UK now.

Adore New Zealand but to live not sure . Australia maybe as my daughter has lived there for 16 years . Portugal or Greece if somewhere else in Europe other than La Belle France . :Smile:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
money no object.

::bigsmile: Whilst I love the UK. if I were rich enough to afford a second home It would be Vancouver Island, BC. Canada. To old now to cope with Long Haul but I could cope with cruising all the way :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back