Where to wire in inverter (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
In the process of upgrading the electrics to become more off piste.

Replaced the existing 80 Ah leisure battery with 2 X 80 Ah spanky new ones (couldn't go bigger as they go under the front seat and space is v tight). Batteries are in parallel.

Now replacing the 75w solar panel with 2 X 160w 12v panels that will be wired in parallel.

Also intend adding an inverter around 1 to 1.5 Kw.

My question for the sparkies out there is where to wire in the inverter?

1. Direct from the battery
2. via the load terminals on the charge controller (image)
3. something else?

regulateur-de-charge-20a-pwm-vs2024au-epever-main.jpg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My inverter is wired directly to the battery. A 1KW+ inverter is going to need some heavy duty cables, far larger than those running to other devices such as a solar controller.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As above, cables about the size of your little finger would be good, the bigger the cable the less the voltage drop and make sure that the inverter is as close as possible to the batteries, what batteries have you gone for and what are you going to run off the inverter as at 1500watts it could give your 2x80ah a bit of a hammering.

OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
My inverter is wired directly to the battery. A 1KW+ inverter is going to need some heavy duty cables, far larger than those running to other devices such as a solar controller.

Thanks. Possibly explains why the kit comes with some battery cables. I have spare terminals off an isolator at the batteries so logic says stick it there.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Must be directly from the battery, I fixed my 1000w inverter on the rear of the passenger seat base and wired straight to the battery. If you use the load terminals at the regulator you will blow it up. A 1500w inverter can pull 125A @12v

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
As above, cables about the size of your little finger would be good, the bigger the cable the less the voltage drop and make sure that the inverter is as close as possible to the batteries, what batteries have you gone for and what are you going to run off the inverter as at 1500watts it could give your 2x80ah a bit of a hammering.

Same as the original from way back when then the van was built. Literally the only ones that fit under the seats. The future may include relocating batteries to one of the front storage boxes but the vaigator is not keen to give up her storage space.

battery.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks. Possibly explains why the kit comes with some battery cables. I have spare terminals off an isolator at the batteries so logic says stick it there.
How heavy are the cables to the isolator though, at full chat the inverter will pull close to 150A.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The load terminals on the solar regulator are a waste of time. They'd only work when there was actually solar power, and then only the amount of power the solar was generating. Even if there was some way the regulator allowed a backfeed from the batteries the size of the 12V cables in use would never deal with your proposed 1000W + inverter.

So you connect to the batteries direct, making sure you do have inline fusing. But if you only have 2x80Ah be very aware they won't like the 1000W+ load for any length of time. All batteries have a maximum acceptable current draw - I believe called a C rate - Exceed that and the battery can't keep up and it's innards can be damaged. Even if they can supply that level of power, it would only be a short time, before your batteries run out of juice.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What are you intending to power on 230v that needs a 1.5kw inverter?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Put a Midi or Mega fuse as close to the isolator as you can. These are flat fuses with bolt terminals at each end. I found the big Maxi blade fuses unreliable, as in blow for no reason.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The load terminals on the solar regulator are a waste of time. They'd only work when there was actually solar power, and then only the amount of power the solar was generating.
The load terminals are intended for use in a simple solar system, a light or a road sign for instance, and are connected to the battery being charged. The controllers often have built in facilities that allow the load connection to be turned on and off as required - night / day for example. The default setting is "on" so they can be useful as an extra battery connection for lights, sockets, etc. Not, as you correctly state, for an inverter.

OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
So thanks for all the replies.

Final decision is no inverter. It was only for a coffee machine - now got a Handpresso which is brilliant, works really well - and the navigator's hairdryer which I've successfully negotiated off the table.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back