Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi
I was thinking for the first time ever that I ought to weigh my van fully loaded. for nothing more than curiosity and peace of mind. But I can't seem to find such a thing as a weigh bridge near me?
Does anyone know one In the Crewe/stoke area? or does anyone know which department I should contact to find one?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
try here
44 Lunt Avenue, Crewe, Cheshire, CW2 7LZ 01270 665999 ... Public Weighbridge, Chelford Road, Henbury, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 4RS 01625 861315 ...

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
thanks roger, but where did you get the information?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Be ready for a shock, most vans are over weight.

Doug..

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Be ready for a shock, most vans are over weight.

Doug..
I reckon you are right, I weighed mine it was OK but would not have been had I not had it uprated to 3,850 Kg,s from 3,500. Haganap. Let us know how you get on, Would be interested what your max is and what the actual weight was
Thanks, Dave

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I reckon you are right, I weighed mine it was OK but would not have been had I not had it uprated to 3,850 Kg,s from 3,500. Haganap. Let us know how you get on, Would be interested what your max is and what the actual weight was
Thanks, Dave

how did you do that dave?

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
how did you do that dave?
Well, I have an Autotrail Cheyenne 696 and when I got it it was plated at 3,500Kg,s. I spoke to the 'second stage manufacturer' Autotrail in this case and after checking their records they agreed that they would be able to increase it to 3,850Kg,s. They then sent a design weight certificate and a second laser engraved plate to be mounted adjacent to the original manufacturers plate. The original should not be removed or covered. Then I went to local taxation office with design weight certificate and completed doc,s to change the details which was done and the V5 sent back duly ammended. The bonus was that I pay less road tax for a 'PHG as opposed to the previous PLG. Be aware of the restrictions though when over 3500 Kg,s regarding age restrictions and/or health checks at 70 yrs and the date of passing your driving test. I then spoke to VOSA asking which plate on the vehicle is relevent particularly if stopped at a roadside check They confirmed that the second stage manufacturer plate would be the correct reference just as if it were new and plated at that weight as they are authorised to make and change the design weights if appropriate.
Sorry for the long post.
Regards, Dave
PS SV Tech are also able to uprate or down rate vehicles including motorhomes. They require information before so doing. Have a look at their website SvTech - Special Vehicle Technology There are forms on the site for completion but I dont know what they charge.

Last edited:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We weighed ours in Oct 2007 and we had 20kg spare.:ROFLMAO:However Rex wasn't in the van!:ROFLMAO:
Since then we've bought an awning, a BBQ, several chairs and tables, Air suspension, not to mention all the wine we carry!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Must get it done again sometime - but not lose too much sleep over it! We're 4 tonne thank God we're not a 3.5 tonne van!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
In this area I simply Googled public weighbridges Cornwall and got a list. I paid £2 for a signed printout including overall weight, and individual axle weights
Dave

Kaya Koyu Walker

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
Funster No
Most quarries, land-fill sites, grain stores, flour mills, steel works have weighbridges that issue certified tickets for a small fee.

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Depends what you want the weighbridge weights for. If it's just for personal information, then use any clean and convenient weighbridge as Kaya Koyu Walker suggests.

If however you are intending to use the certificate for any offical purpose ultimately involving VOSA or DVLA you need to use an approved public weighbridge, as if the location that issues the ticket isn't on the 'approved' list it seems it isn't accepted by them. Probably costs a bit more as I paid £10.

For a list of approved weighbridges simply call your local trading standards office who will happily give you the information you need. The TS officer will have visited the site so should be able to tell you if a particular location is somewhere you would want to take your 'van. (Do you really want to take your pride and joy across poor ground to use something designed for 8 wheel tipper trucks carrying aggregate?)

I used SV Tech to sort out the documents to re-plate my 'van from 3500kg to 3850kg. Excellent, swift and efficient service. Then a visit to the local DVLA office and job done. Good job as original payload was on the margin! :winky:

Hope this helps

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Depends

I used SV Tech to sort out the documents to re-plate my 'van from 3500kg to 3850kg. Excellent, swift and efficient service. Then a visit to the local DVLA office and job done. Good job as original payload was on the margin! :winky:

Jakeontour, Just out of interest what did SV Tech charge if you don,t mind me asking. I have heard it is in the region of £200. The weighbridge I used is on the approved list but I only paid £2. Its the local authority site. Not a bad deal I thought.

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Must be getting old, answering my own posts now, anyway just spoke to SV Tech who tell me they charge £200 plus VAT. Gave them all details over phone and they advise that they would be able to increase the max weight to 4,100 KG,s if an air assist suspension was installed EG Air ride etc. (Otherwise 3,850 as it is) I was going to get that installed anyway so may then pay my £200 to upgrade. Air ride £480 inc VAT plus £230 inc VAT to re plate. Will have to think if its worth it first. Money, Money, Money.
Regards, Dave

jakeontour

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
In front of this computer when I should be out in
Funster No
Hi Chudders

Yes, it cost £200 + vat, for which you get a new stick-on VIN plate and the all important documents that are acceptable to the DVLA.

Well worth it in my opinion compared to the grief of being caught overweight. Having to make a choice between leaving wine or mrs jakeontour at the roadside to get legal would be very difficult. :wine:

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Hi Chudders

Yes, it cost £200 + vat, for which you get a new stick-on VIN plate and the all important documents that are acceptable to the DVLA.

Well worth it in my opinion compared to the grief of being caught overweight. Having to make a choice between leaving wine or mrs jakeontour at the roadside to get legal would be very difficult. :wine:

Thats not too difficult a decision., I would always opt to leave the... :)Eek!:keyboard broke due to smackk on back of head from wife)

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Air Ride fitted

I have today had my Airide suspension installed. Not clever enough to do it myself so paid the bit extra for GB services to fit it. They came to my place so did not even have to go to Honiton where their base is. Cracking quick job, less than 2 hours. Went for a short test drive and what a difference it made to the ride. Pressure is about 40 PSI at present and I may lower it a little. Friendly and helpful people.
Now I have just posted details to SV tech (With a cheque of course) who advise me on phone they should be able to upgrade to 4100 Kg,s from the current 3,850. So now will wait for their response.
Regards, Dave:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back