Where to store MotorHome in Spain for a few weeks? (1 Viewer)

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Been travelling around in the motorhome the last few months (just bought it in July), currently in Italy but will be travelling down through France to the East Coast of Spain by mid Dec.
I'd like to then fly back to the UK for Xmas for between 1 to 4 weeks and then fly back and continue my journey (maybe to Portugal).
My question is where can I leave the van while I'm away. Ideally I'd like to fly from Alicante or thereabouts. Is there any motorhome storage there that anyone has used and could recommend? Is that a better alternative to leaving it in a campsite?
How does insurance work with this?
Should I be disconnecting the leisure battery altogether? (I don't have a solar panel)
Any advice is most welcome

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes we recommend Chris Parking, he will plug you in to keep your batteries charged, and it's stored inside with 24hr security and they run you to and from the airport in a minibus. (y)
As for your insurance covering you, I have not found anyone yet, you have to take that chance. :eek: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
ok thanks I'll check them out. So normal insurance for abroad only covers the vehicle if you're staying in it?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes, you could check, we did store a caravan on a site in Spain for a couple of years before we moved here and that was insured with towergate through the European caravan club, but they don't do motorhomes. :LOL: Bob.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Plenty storage places around Alicante airport. Most of them are really close by and drop you off/pick you up from the airport. I've used Umbrella parking and never had any problems. Van was there for a year on and off. Inside and outside storage.

Not sure if they plug you in (I was outside and didn't need it)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
ok thanks I'll check them out. So normal insurance for abroad only covers the vehicle if you're staying in it?

Usually there is a clause that states something like if you are away from your vehicle for more than 36/48 hours and it is not at the stated "kept overnight" location you gave them when taking insurance then its not covered.

There are a few places in Benidorm that offer storage... Camping Benisol, Camping El Raco and Stones parking.
As for having a pitch and leaving it on a site, will be expensive and you may struggle to get a spot anyway.

@ukbill Was planning an "aire" type stop north of Alicante, may be worth a PM (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Insurance is gonna be the biggest hurdle .... but ... just thinking 'outside the box' ... if you added the site owner to your insurance policy as a named driver would that then allow you to have cover as it would be in their care? Not sure if it's feasible, cost or practicality wise, but just a thought ...

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes

http://www.chrisparking.com/?lang=en&men=1
inside under cover & is probably one of the best. @bobandjanie have used them I believe.
Another strong vote for Chris Parking - German-owned family business. Christopher is the son and his Mum and Dad work with him - they are lovely people and speak good English.

We saw a recommendation on here last winter. Exchanged emails, then called in in February to give the place the once over.

Very impressed with the the storage hall - lots of expensive MHs and cars (as well as less expensive ones ;)). And security top notch. So there and then we arranged that our van would be stored inside from the end of September for 6 months, and we fly backwards and forwards to use it. Airport transfers included (about 2 or 3 miles).

We're back in Spain at the moment, but our first storage worked like clockwork. (y)

Now to insurance - what a bugger!! Spent 3 days on the phone trying to find one that would provide the cover we wanted. Nearly lost the will to live.:( They are shocking IMHO. If van not stored somewhere with a UK postcode, they wouldn't entertain it. So much for being in the EU (just)! (n)

Apparently different if we had a caravan! But we don't!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I finally found a broker, who said they thought one of their underwriters would be willing to do it. And sure enough they came up trumps. :)

I pay a slightly higher premium, but still very acceptable. So all covered. (y)

But have a serious look at Chris Parking. They will quote for any duration from a day, to a year. And we think very reasonably priced for the service As others have said, they will plug in to keep the batteries charged whenever you want.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
How long you want storage for?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you ring your insurers and ask it may be noted in your file and they will then know what you plan on doing even if they say no.
That could cause problems if you did have to claim.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you ring your insurers and ask it may be noted in your file and they will then know what you plan on doing even if they say no.
Exactly ,I wouldn't even mention it to them.

OP
OP
F

FiCamper

Free Member
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
Another strong vote for Chris Parking - German-owned family business. Christopher is the son and his Mum and Dad work with him - they are lovely people and speak good English.

We saw a recommendation on here last winter. Exchanged emails, then called in in February to give the place the once over.

Very impressed with the the storage hall - lots of expensive MHs and cars (as well as less expensive ones ;)). And security top notch. So there and then we arranged that our van would be stored inside from the end of September for 6 months, and we fly backwards and forwards to use it. Airport transfers included (about 2 or 3 miles).

We're back in Spain at the moment, but our first storage worked like clockwork. (y)

Now to insurance - what a bugger!! Spent 3 days on the phone trying to find one that would provide the cover we wanted. Nearly lost the will to live.:( They are shocking IMHO. If van not stored somewhere with a UK postcode, they wouldn't entertain it. So much for being in the EU (just)! (n)

Apparently different if we had a caravan! But we don't!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I finally found a broker, who said they thought one of their underwriters would be willing to do it. And sure enough they came up trumps. :)

I pay a slightly higher premium, but still very acceptable. So all covered. (y)

But have a serious look at Chris Parking. They will quote for any duration from a day, to a year. And we think very reasonably priced for the service As others have said, they will plug in to keep the batteries charged whenever you want.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Thanks for all that info. So would the insurance have to be with my yearly insurance - or is it possible to just get add-on insurance for the storage period?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all that info. So would the insurance have to be with my yearly insurance - or is it possible to just get add-on insurance for the storage period?
So I went into battle mode just before my renewal was due last summer, and arranged cover for a full year.

My previous insurer - Comfort - would I think have agreed at about £30 per week, as an add on to an existing policy, but that wasn't what I wanted.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I had that trouble with a caravan. Rang Saga (who I was insured with at the time) just to ask if it was possible to leave the van in storage. Not only would they not insure the van, but they cancelled my insurance there and then, saying I intended to leave the van unattended! I said I was only looking at the possibility, but they wouldn’t have it! We were in Spain at the time and eventually got insurance through Towergate, but they don’t do Motorhomes. Moral of the tale is be very careful before you even ask the question!

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Very useful thread - does anyone have any similar recommendations for parking within range of Malaga airport ?

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
……...

Will be really helpful to know who the Broker is please. Will be looking for similar cover when next renew.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Will be really helpful to know who the Broker is please. Will be looking for similar cover when next renew.

The broker was Advance Insurance, Chippenham:

http://www.advanceinsurance.co.uk/

And the underwriter is Ageas Insurance, which I believe used to be called Fortis, but was apparently renamed in 2010.

https://www.ageas.co.uk/contact-us/

Registered office:
Ageas House,
Hampshire Corporate Park,
Templars Way,
Eastleigh,
Hampshire,
SO53 3YA

And for more info on Ageas - whose parent company is Belgium's largest insurance co - try Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageas

Apparently, it was the head underwriter in the UK that looked at the details of Chris Parking at Alicante that we wanted to use, and I was advised he was more than happy.

Good luck.

Nick_Sunlight

Free Member
Jan 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68
Thank you very much for this useful post mikebeaches - I'm looking for motorhome cover that will allow a couple of months storage in France and have not managed to find any cover despite many phone calls.

Ageas say they don't do motorhome and I've been waiting on a call back from Advance for a while which makes me think perhaps can't cover it either.

Do you still have cover now (2022) that allows you to store your motorhome in Europe at all, and if so who is your insurance company now please?

Thank you very much.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you very much for this useful post mikebeaches - I'm looking for motorhome cover that will allow a couple of months storage in France and have not managed to find any cover despite many phone calls.

Ageas say they don't do motorhome and I've been waiting on a call back from Advance for a while which makes me think perhaps can't cover it either.

Do you still have cover now (2022) that allows you to store your motorhome in Europe at all, and if so who is your insurance company now please?

Thank you very much.
I am still insured by Ageas, arranged through Advance Insurance.

The first year with them was from June 2018, so I renewed last June for a fourth term.

For the 2019/20 year I managed to negotiate up from the policy standard 6 months of continental cover (including storage) to eight months, with payment of a small additional premium. However, when I was due to fly out in late March 2020, my flight was cancelled at short notice as part of the first lockdown. So the van was 'trapped' in Spain', because we were unable to get there to drive it back to the UK. It eventually returned on a transporter in July that year, at my expense (having been in Spain for about 10 months!) - I didn't even ask the insurer to consider paying for the transport.

But the underwriter was excellent and willingly agreed to keep the van 'on risk' during the extended storage at Alicante, and without any additional charge. Somewhat to my surprise, the next renewal premium actually reduced! But at that point they would only provide the standard 6-month continental use terms. And that remained the case at the last renewal ie currently. We are still covered for storage at Chris Parking at Alicante, although we haven't been back to Spain or anywhere else abroad since early 2020. Hopefully, that might change later this year. ;)

Whether they will still do it for new customers I don't know? And whether they'd cover storage in France, I don't know? And whether they would judge your proposed storage location suitable? Chris Parking provides a secure indoor storage hall with video surveillance and has human on-site security 24/7.

See if Advance Insurance can help you - no doubt they've been closed through the holidays and working from home too.

Hope you can get something sorted. (y)

Nick_Sunlight

Free Member
Jan 4, 2022
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68
Thank you very much mikebeaches - that's really helpful. I shall cross my fingers that Advance Insurance are still able to offer cover including storage and that one of the storage locations I've been looking at will be acceptable.

Really appreciate your help and hope you manage to get away before too long (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back