Where to spend July & August....? (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
That's what we were looking into, It is expensive , but it looks like it may be the Scottish isles again for us .
Have you seen the price of the beer in Norway . Plus you can only take 6 ltrs in with you or something like that !
Scottish Isles ! See you there, we are going in April and a bit of May before the midges wake up !!!:party2::party2::party2:

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
If you fancy France, you could always come to us at Parc Verger. Quiet site in a beautiful location, good company (we sometimes even have the Chief Munchie on site), Funster discount, plenty to do and see in the area. Temperatures are comfortable, so you can sit out and enjoy a glass of red or whatever. Wherever you go have a good time!
Bob
www.parcverger.com
From mentions on other threads I already have your site bookmarked! Merci! Your site and the area looks like just my coupe of rouge x:-) (for any time of year). I look forwards to visiting.

I have to laugh when I see all the negative posting re summer holidays, yes the sites are busy, yes there are kids around. And if you dislike the sound of happy children I think there is little hope for you.......
Most who post negativity re summer touring dont really know what they are on about. Those of us who have no choice do, yes it's busy more expensive and hot but that's fine by us....
I'm asking the question as someone who is yet to acquire his first campervan so your comments are a useful antidote to my assumptions and stereotypes. I have of course been a tourist during peak season (and used to live in a tourist area), just not as a motorhomer, so I'm aware of my own (low) tolerance threshold for summer tourist crowds - hence my question.
As I will be on the road pretty much full-time it wasn't so much from the holiday/tourism angle that I posed the question (hence posting in the full-timers section). I don't mind at all if there are kids running around and what you say about the "waiting room" atmosphere of out of season (out of school holiday) campsites is well said and food for thought. I'm 50 so while I've seen the door marked "waiting room" I'm still very happy not to have opened it quite yet! I guess I'm just after suggestions for "off the beaten track" areas/regions for those months when most working people are taking holidays.
I appreciate your comment, thanks.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just stay away from popular coastal regions during main holiday periods.....it really is that simple. its not as if school holidays last for long. They are the only areas we have ever pre booked, even then you will usually find something if not you're prime choices.

This thread reminded me to book our favorite site on Lake Garda today, if I left it till new year I would not be able to get pitch I want... even now its doubtful as booking opens end Nov. Most full timers I would think spend some of the summer here when there is half a chance of decent weather or off the beaten track somewhere in Europe?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Was just about to suggest Ireland but I see you're there already! :xdoh:

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
dafydd i like the avatar, you smoke a pipe and got one ear? o_O

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
For the same reasons we have done........

Alsace last August (y)

Norway and Sweden last May and June (y)

Hebrides, Scotland and Orkneys other years (y)

Norway was the BEST so far......... not really that expensive (we cook in the van and make our own bread) we did take in 40 bottles of wine tho :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Example of a typical 'wild camp' night stop.....

P1170339.jpg

With THIS view opposite (y)

P1170340.jpg

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
For the same reasons we have done........
Alsace last August (y)
Norway and Sweden last May and June (y)
Hebrides, Scotland and Orkneys other years (y)
Norway was the
BEST so far......... not really that expensive (we cook in the van and make our own bread) we did take in 40 bottles of wine tho :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Example of a typical 'wild camp' night stop.....
View attachment 54420
With THIS view opposite (y)
View attachment 54421

That illustrates my earlier posts perfectly Chocks with stunning pics. Excellent, but in posting these you're a bugger because now, rather like Pythons Parrot,I'm 'pining for the Fjords' !;)(y)

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
We travel through Italy and France every July/ August / September and all we do is avoid the coast and cities.

Never had a problem and have found loads of sites that are quiet and friendly.

Municipal site in the centre of France by a lake with beach, toilets electricity and showers and only 10€ night.
This is in August and only one other camper on site!

Terry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sweden not that expensive if you travel sensiably, we visit countries to experience life and that includes the food! I could not spend a whole holiday not eating out frequently as its part of the experience surely......would rather have a shorter holiday. If you avoid eating out in evening and have your main meal at lunchtime as the swedes do it's great value.....heading north you will come across roadside restaurants, usually operating a buffet, we never had a poor meal.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thinking about The Shetland Islands at some point....... and back to The Orkneys as well of course.

Wish the van was back as the weather is awful here but nice further west so we could have gone away for the weekend.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I could not spend a whole holiday not eating out frequently as its part of the experience surely......would rather have a shorter holiday.

A valid point Judge........... if you are on 'holiday', however we travel as part of an ongoing adventure and we prefer not to eat out so that we have more funds available do all the other stuff we do :) We do like to purchase local food to 'experience the culture', we simply cook it ourselves.

It is of course a personal thing too, we cook to a high standard so often find that 'eating out' can be a disappointing experience leaving us dissatisfied (and our wallet empty!).

I agree about Sweden though, the lunchtime menu's are good value and 'a way of life' in Sweden

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
We travel through Italy and France every July/ August / September and all we do is avoid the coast and cities.

Never had a problem and have found loads of sites that are quiet and friendly.

Municipal site in the centre of France by a lake with beach, toilets electricity and showers and only 10€ night.
This is in August and only one other camper on site!

Terry
Just the sort of site we like ,where is that site in France?, please share it with us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
1st July off to Thailand for 5 weeks, been told I've got to go, visiting our daughter who moved to Bangkok last year. I'd rather stay in Europe with the van, but the boss has spoken.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
It used to be "Argate"....

At the bottom of our garden....