Where to people "park / live" when full timing and remaining employed?? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Is this doable? I'm curious as there's a big part of me would love to go full time and rent out the house to maintain income, but we are both full time nurses too? So, in my situation we'd need to be close to the wifes work as she doesn't drive.
Anyone here full timing but also working in a job where you actually have to go to work ie something physical and not remote working?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I guess it depends on how much you would have to pay to park the van, use gas etc.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I guess it depends on how much you would have to pay to park the van, use gas etc.
yes, though I should have been much clearer lol, Im not at this point thinking of running costs as such.

I'm specifically wondering about the logistics of finding somewhere to stay, ie do full timers (that have a local job) look for somewhere to stay all year or say 2 places and split between them over the year? surely they can't be moving every few nights?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
For at least the past 7 years a couple working full time who post on another website have been moving around Cl's/CS's where I think you can stop only for a certain length of time - I think it's max one or three months at a stretch. They did achieve an 'arrangement' with one of the Club CL's/CS's for an entire winter.
There may not be enough sites to do that in your area and they are probably too far apart for your wife to use an electric bicycle to get to work.

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I fulltime but am lucky enough to have permission to park on the land next to our workshop. I get on well with the farmer who owns all the land here.

I have often wondered how I would get on if I couldn't park here and had to move around, commuting to work each day. If I'm honest I'd probably just go long term at the local site.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
For at least the past 7 years a couple working full time who post on another website have been moving around Cl's/CS's where I think you can stop only for a certain length of time - I think it's max one or three months at a stretch. They did achieve an 'arrangement' with one of the Club CL's/CS's for an entire winter.
There may not be enough sites to do that in your area and they are probably too far apart for your wife to use an electric bicycle to get to work.

Yeah that's the issue really, she needs decent transport links for the days our shifts clash and I cant give her a lift.
I fulltime but am lucky enough to have permission to park on the land next to our workshop. I get on well with the farmer who owns all the land here.

I have often wondered how I would get on if I couldn't park here and had to move around, commuting to work each day. If I'm honest I'd probably just go long term at the local site.

Yes, that's the thing, if I was to use a local site it's likely to cost quite a bit anyway :-(

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Yeah that's the issue really, she needs decent transport links for the days our shifts clash and I cant give her a lift.
Obviously a site within walking distance of public transport but even then the scarce services for night or very early/late shifts might be problematic.
Yes, that's the thing, if I was to use a local site it's likely to cost quite a bit anyway :-(

Yep, an official site at say £600 a month (assuming £20 a night) would make a hole in the (taxable) income from letting the house.

( :unsure: I had a pal on a low income who lived on a boat in Brighton marina and the local authority paid the mooring fees).

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
yes, though I should have been much clearer lol, Im not at this point thinking of running costs as such.

I'm specifically wondering about the logistics of finding somewhere to stay, ie do full timers (that have a local job) look for somewhere to stay all year or say 2 places and split between them over the year? surely they can't be moving every few nights?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
28 days is the legal max on a CL/CS.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I still work and when full timing (6 months between houses) we mainly stopped at a camp site that allowed a rolling month booking at a especially rate). It was during the start of covid and after having been asked to leave one site as closing even spent a few days on the works car park! Wasn’t late those days:LOL:

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I know some that work for parking firms that do big events and race meeting etc and just stay on the job moving between jobs all season , is a change of jobs an option

no afraid not, I think Im looking to have my cake and eat it as it's quickly becoming apparant we'd never be able to find another job at our income level that we could move about with :-/

Obviously a site within walking distance of public transport but even then the scarce services for night or very early/late shifts might be problematic.

Yep, an official site at say £600 a month (assuming £20 a night) would make a hole in the (taxable) income from letting the house.

( :unsure: I had a pal on a low income who lived on a boat in Brighton marina and the local authority paid the mooring fees).

yeah, £600 is more than we currently pay on the mortgage (7 years left)

I still work and when full timing (6 months between houses) we mainly stopped at a camp site that allowed a rolling month booking at a especially rate). It was during the start of covid and after having been asked to leave one site as closing even spent a few days on the works car park! Wasn’t late those days:LOL:

Dont think the hospital would be happy letting us stay on the car park somehow lol.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have sometimes done this, staying on a CL or campsite, and moving from one to the other every couple of weeks or so. I have a small 125cc bike, and this meant I could commute every day, even from a distance. The bike went on a rack at the back, or in the garage. I think it would be feasible to put two small bikes in a garage, but not much room/payload left for anything else.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I was semi full time for a few months, based near a major city up north for uni. I used to park in rural places and drive the van a commuting station and get the train into the city.

Move about alot. Arrive late. Leave early.

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Am in a position where I'm considering this myself at the moment. Because I have kids and there is a family dynamic involving being around, I'd have to stay within a 5km radius of here.

This gives me access to one official parking area with water/drainage and an unofficial permitted site. At both of these, you wouldn't be winding out your awning or putting out tables and chairs, but there would be no hassle regarding the parking provided it was discreet.

There are many and varied unoffical parking areas but these would be entirely dependent on the goodwill of local people not to get annoyed by the presence of a van and the local police turning a blind eye - which is harder when it's a coachbuilt. Blacking out and being quiet are options, as are arriving late and leaving early like Camperjack suggests.

I would have to maintain my home address for bank, insurance and tax purposes - though could also use my work address for certain things. My van lacks solar at the moment so with small miles between parkups, I'd have to plug into my home address or pay to go to a campsite for the weekend where I could get an EHU.

Solar would be an important investment once money can be found.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Solar great in the summer but need to think about other options in the the winter . A chat with a local farmer may be worth it 👍🏻

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I have been long terming snd working for a number of years now. I do temporary contracts, and try and find a site close by. Caravan club summer seasonal pitches cam be cost effective. Usually you have to leave for one night in 28, but the vehicle doesn't have to move. As I needed a car fie woek, I would visit a friend, or family for a weekend, or overnight.
Exeter racecourse was good value, and I rhink was as little as £6 pn, without hook up.
So it is possible, but can be a pain as well. Without a home base, chores like laundry, are more difficult. Being cooped up in a van in the rain, or bitter cold, is less comfortable than being at home.
I have also alternated between two sites,a month at a time, to solve the length of stay restriction, but as I am solo, I have to organise moving car and van. It can be a faff tbh.
Overall a seasonal pitch, where the van can be left, and you move, is simplest. And of vourse you may have to factor in taxis to work at unsocial hours, for your wife.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
PaulC70
PaulOH

Have you considered letting your home out as an Airbnb - you could set the calendar for bookings to only be available when you're both off for a couple of days or during periods of holiday?
It's similar to what we have been doing for the last 12 months, though we limit our bookings to keep under the £7500 per annum declarable but not taxable limit.
We originally set out to do it while we were out of the country for long periods in the summer, using someone to manage our property (family friend) but have now started looking at doing it all ourselves (pre and post cleaning, laundry, gardens etc) and using our 'escape pod' during the 'let' period at a very local CL.
We stand to make more money for letting our our own home for 12 nights per year than we do on some of our long term tenanted rental properties. Plus we don't get some of the problems that come with letting out a property 12 months of the year, but of course this is our home, so managing bookings and expectations is more critical.
We have permission from our mortgage company and additional insurance in place.
It might be worth you looking on AirBnB to see if anyone local to you is offering accommodation, to see if there is a market for it and what they are charging, and to consider if it's a viable option, rather than moving out of your home permanently.
You should try to identify a local 'need', for instance, although we are in a holiday location, we don't and won't cater for holidaymakers, we keep our maximum length of stay to 2 nights. We only accept bookings of wedding guests at a very local 'up market' wedding venue (who are happy to recommend us).
Do some research and it MIGHT be something that works for you, it certainly doesn't work for everyone!!

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
MisterB can I ask what you do with your personal “bits & bobs” when you let out your home? Thanks!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Stonemags76

we have a large loft (with stairs up to it) an outside utility (where we can decant all our food etc from the fridge and freezer) and a storage shed where we can put other bits and bobs, we dont have lots of personal stuff around the house, no photos, ornaments, art work etc so that makes it easier.

it takes my wife three days to get the house ready - we do a full house let - but it gets easier and quicker each time we do it.
i know a lot of people (99.9%) wouldnt want to do it, but the amount we end up with makes us think its worthwhile.

as we have previously done it when we go away, the cleaning etc and emptying fridge/freezer is only what we would have done anyway prior to going on holiday, so direct work for the airbnb is probably only a couple of days. We usually have someone who manages it for us, but we did it all ourselves last time, so basically all the fees came direct to us (less airbnb fees) - We used a local launderette for all the bedding and towels from 5 bedrooms/9 guests - which worked out at less than £30 and it was ready the next day!

we have decided to look at only doing it while we are in the UK (and staying local) - it means we dont have to pay out for cleaners etc or a manager and will do it all ourselves. it makes us feel a bit more comfortable knowing we can sort any small issues (last time they couldnt get the oven to work and needed somewhere to dispose of cigarette ends in the garden - we dont allow smoking in the house) - i sorted eveything within an hour !!

i am happy to pm with any further details inc the fees we charge - i am not sure it would be appropriate for me to post on here (although of course anyone looking to book can see them on line)

just to say, we are NOT experts, we are doing what suits us at this time in our life

i have produced a spreadsheet that works out all the calculations - its not perfect but is more indicative and allows you to adjust figures to make sure you get your bottom line after deductions etc. if youre looking to play with some figures. all i ask is that you make donation to the UK Firefighters Charity if you think its helpful (you choose the amount !!)

Last edited:

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Thanks so much for your extensive reply! It’s something we have thought about doing, as we live in a tourist area. I was interested to see how you managed your stuff! Thanks for the offer of more information- I have book marked this in case we think about it more seriously in the future!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We used a farm cl for 18 months. Paid upfront. I worked full time from there. Many club sites ask you to move every month for 24 hours, so I’d avoid those.
I think you are liable for council tax if you are in one place for over 28 days which is one reason why the clubs have the limit on length of stay.

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
PaulC70
PaulOH

Have you considered letting your home out as an Airbnb - it certainly doesn't work for everyone!!
And it certainly doesn't because my current address is a rental property where my kids are going to live as part of the settlement dictated by the big-D, and I'll be paying for them to live there too.

I currently reside in the spare room and pay for everything (except the TV and internet), so I think I can hook up from time to time - though it mightn't be part of the settlement.

Maybe we need a different forum for MH in divorce!!!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Caravan club summer seasonal pitches cam be cost effective. Usually you have to leave for one night in 28, but the vehicle doesn't have to move.
From the 1st of July CCC are no longer permitting single overnight storage, so you will have to move the van off site for one night and return the next day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back