Where to hang things? (1 Viewer)

May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Since having my Globecar Campscout, I've been gradually sussing out what I need or want to change or add, and where, before going ahead - especially when it comes to drilling holes!

One thing I've not fully resolved yet is what to do about hanging towels and coats. I obviously need somewhere for towels in the bathroom, but most places will hang down over the toilet. I'm thinking maybe some cuphooks in the underside of the shelf above the toilet. I'd love to see where people have put hooks that work for them. I did buy a couple of suction hooks to experiment with, but they don't stick well to the wood.

And what do people do with wet coats? Hang in bathroom, put over cab, or something else?

I guess some Command hooks might be a good way to test locations, but I thought that calling on the collective brain on here would be a good way to find what works.

Thanks

Paul

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
+1 for Command hooks - very strong and when you need to they come off quite easily and cleanly.

We are fortunate enough to have two proper coat hooks at the hab door which allow any drips to go into the entrance footwell - ideal for wet coats. There is also a heater outlet just below to assist if we have the heating on. Washroom though is not so good for hanging things so you've given me an idea about putting a couple of Command hooks in there.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
I keep picking up snippets of good stuff by reading here. I'd never heard of Command hooks before, but after looking them up on Amazon, can see them as the answer to several problems: it's quite a range. I had no idea that such user-friendly hooks existed.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We’ve used command hooks in the van for ages, and you used to be able to buy refill sticky backs everywhere. Now I seem to only be able to buy the pads on eBay! Managed to get loads last time tho - enough to change my mind about positioning several times!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I can't see what makes the Command hooks special or different in any way. Looking on t'internet they just seem like everyday two-piece sticky-backed hooks............:unsure:
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I'm another big fan of Command hooks, and their other products - cable holders, their picture hangers for smoke alarms, gang plugs, etc .
@Spriddler The big advantage is that they hold a lot of weight and they come off the wall easily and cleanly... when you want them to. Make sure that you clean the wall with alcohol and allow to dry completely before applying.
They need to go onto a flat surface so they do well on the wood surfaces but don't work well on the textured plastic.
I love that I don't need to drill holes and can easily move them if I want.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
So long as you get Command hooks of the right capacity, you should be OK and no holes in the walls. I did find that there was a mark left behind one that I removed, though.
If you have a roof vent in the loo/shower, you could put some in there. Useful for airing damp things. Just make sure that the hooks are rated for heavy stuff as wet clothes are not light and could be snagged.

OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
So long as you get Command hooks of the right capacity, you should be OK and no holes in the walls. I did find that there was a mark left behind one that I removed, though.
If you have a roof vent in the loo/shower, you could put some in there. Useful for airing damp things. Just make sure that the hooks are rated for heavy stuff as wet clothes are not light and could be snagged.
Unfortunately no rooflight, just a side window.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
For tea towels etc we use these on the top of the kitchen cupboard drawer and also in the toilet: Broken Link Removed
On the top of the toilet door we also have a clip on rail with half a dozen hooks which gives a longer hanging drop for hand towels, wet coats etc. It's a bigger version of this Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In our Campscout washroom I've put the coat hooks which were supplied with our camper (but not fitted) on the side panel below the upper shelf between the mirror and the window which the jackets hang on but in order to keep them tight up against the bottom shelf so they don't interfere with the toilet lid being lifted, I put a piece of elastic cord across from the little bar on the lower shelf about 4 inches in from the side, the elastic goes round the lower part of the jackets and loops onto a small metal cup hook located on the wall just below the bottom right corner of the wall mirror, works a treat for just storing them out of the way. When wet we usually hang them on the back of the cab seats and let them dry - we've found this is the best way to do it as the jackets aren't then scrunched up so they dry a lot quicker however if we needed to put them out of the way I'd use a couple of coat/trouser hangers and put one over the toilet hung from the upper shelf and the other on a small cup hook which I've screwed in the bottom left rear of the upper cabinet - if the heating was on they'd dry very quickly in there due to the location of the heating outlet.

For drying towels, either use the coat hangers again or hang them over an expanding net curtain pole positioned between the wall panel and the side of the cabinet.

Its too cold and dark to go out to take a photo so I've done a diagram!

coat hooks.png

OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
In our Campscout washroom I've put the coat hooks which were supplied with our camper (but not fitted) on the side panel below the upper shelf between the mirror and the window which the jackets hang on but in order to keep them tight up against the bottom shelf so they don't interfere with the toilet lid being lifted, I put a piece of elastic cord across from the little bar on the lower shelf about 4 inches in from the side, the elastic goes round the lower part of the jackets and loops onto a small metal cup hook located on the wall just below the bottom right corner of the wall mirror, works a treat for just storing them out of the way. When wet we usually hang them on the back of the cab seats and let them dry - we've found this is the best way to do it as the jackets aren't then scrunched up so they dry a lot quicker however if we needed to put them out of the way I'd use a couple of coat/trouser hangers and put one over the toilet hung from the upper shelf and the other on a small cup hook which I've screwed in the bottom left rear of the upper cabinet - if the heating was on they'd dry very quickly in there due to the location of the heating outlet.

For drying towels, either use the coat hangers again or hang them over an expanding net curtain pole positioned between the wall panel and the side of the cabinet.

Its too cold and dark to go out to take a photo so I've done a diagram!

View attachment 262574

Thanks Mel, that's fantastic, what an amazingly detailed reply. Thanks for taking the time - it's given me some ideas and hopefully might help others too. I particularly like the elastic idea, I could foresee anything hanging above the loo getting in the way, so that's a great idea which I may well steal! I like the expanding pole as well, that's a good thought.

Where you've put the small cup hook under the mirrored cupboard is exactly where I've stuck a battery powered PIR led light. Hopefully to make moving around or using the loo at night easier without having to find the switch and turn on the blackpool illuminations.

Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Mel, that's fantastic, what an amazingly detailed reply. Thanks for taking the time - it's given me some ideas and hopefully might help others too. I particularly like the elastic idea, I could foresee anything hanging above the loo getting in the way, so that's a great idea which I may well steal! I like the expanding pole as well, that's a good thought.
If you want a more 'aesthetically' pleasing and easier to use method, you could use a large 'hook' shaped curtain hold-back bracket instead, something like these:

upload_2018-10-22_0-41-10.png

Or even an open ended toilet roll holder - if you get the 'swing' one it would have the advantage of folding flush against the wall when not in use ... hmmmmm ... now that's got me thinking ... I might just have one for my camper in my 'bits' box!

upload_2018-10-22_0-40-8.png

Where you've put the small cup hook under the mirrored cupboard is exactly where I've stuck a battery powered PIR led light. Hopefully to make moving around or using the loo at night easier without having to find the switch and turn on the blackpool illuminations.
That's exactly what we do, I've used one for the same reason - we got the idea when we had static caravans as it saved having to try to find the light switches! I've also used them in cupboard etc in the camper too where fitting the usual 'contact' activated type ones wasn't possible.

OP
OP
Paul_Oxon
May 9, 2018
South Oxon
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
If you want a more 'aesthetically' pleasing and easier to use method, you could use a large 'hook' shaped curtain hold-back bracket instead, something like these:

View attachment 262845

Or even an open ended toilet roll holder - if you get the 'swing' one it would have the advantage of folding flush against the wall when not in use ... hmmmmm ... now that's got me thinking ... I might just have one for my camper in my 'bits' box!

View attachment 262844

That's exactly what we do, I've used one for the same reason - we got the idea when we had static caravans as it saved having to try to find the light switches! I've also used them in cupboard etc in the camper too where fitting the usual 'contact' activated type ones wasn't possible.

Love the idea of the toilet roll hook as a tie-back. I've no idea how come up with these thoughts, but I'm sure glad that you do :Grin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back