Where to go? Week in October (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We are looking to get away for our first week of work in years, have signed up for frequent traveller on eurotunnel, so looking to head to France, but what direction should we head? I was thinking of either Brittany or Vendee?
We will probably get a late Friday night train so first night likely to be cite Europe, and return the following Sunday pm.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are looking to get away for our first week of work in years, have signed up for frequent traveller on eurotunnel, so looking to head to France, but what direction should we head? I was thinking of either Brittany or Vendee?
We will probably get a late Friday night train so first night likely to be cite Europe, and return the following Sunday pm.
As you only have a week and France is a big country I would aim for Normandy or Brittany . Try not to do long distances or you don't have time to enjoy your destinations .:france: It will probably be Aires as many campsites in France shut in September !

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I agree with Anthea!s comments. I am just finishing a 3 week+ holiday in France and on reflection we have spent too much time travelling. I would stuck with Normandy and enjoy what it has to offer. That is my intention when I return next year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Ok, tunnel booked, As Anthea says, we intend to stick to aires. Still contemplating Brittany or Vendee, to us the journey is the holiday, so happy to spend a couple of days each way travelling and exploring.

Reactions: Pia

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
All I'll say is, last week I got south of Bordeaux using the motorways in 10 hours from Cite europe. If you don't mind a blast, head south!

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
All I'll say is, last week I got south of Bordeaux using the motorways in 10 hours from Cite europe. If you don't mind a blast, head south!

Have done the med in a day from Colchester before, but looking to meander down avoiding motorways, and take 2-3 easy days each way, leaving 3-4 days there.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Normandy landing beaches are interesting to visit with museums etc dedicated to D-Day.

Bayeaux, for the tapestry is a must. The tapestry exhibition has English audio guides and the town itself is good for an hour or so. Many good bars, bistros and restaurants.

We toured the area two years ago in late October and were lucky enough to have some great weather.

Good luck.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well we are at Whitby Goth the end of October.:party2::drink::clap2:
So we've decided to take a week off , to include Whitby.
We were going to do the east coast , but have now decided to go to the Lake District. We've not been for a few years and it's beautiful, what ever the weather.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Bruges !

A feast for the eyes.

We're going to Bruges with our twins , on a weekend P&O trip in November.
At 21 years old , this might be the last time ( though I doubt it! ) they still want to go with us.
They all used to love going on the ferry trips , to Bruges and Amsterdam when they were little. Getting up as many times they want to the buffet. Loads of Ben and Gerry ice cream in little tubs.etc.
Going on a pony and trap ride around Bruges and up the tower.
Canal boat rides in Amsterdam.
It's become a bit of a family thing. Ice skating in hull and a bit of shopping before getting on the ferry. All fast asleep in the car on the way back , shattered.
They go with their relevant partners now too.
We've yet to go , longer than a weekend or even in the MH. Once have longer than 2/3 weeks , we shall venture abroad. Brugge for sure.
IMG_4689.JPG

4 years ago !
IMG_4751.JPG
IMG_4754.JPG
IMG_4759.JPG
IMG_4760.JPG

Reactions: Pia

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Once have longer than 2/3 weeks , we shall venture abroad.

Pathetic excuse. 2 or 3 weeks is plenty of time to hit mainland Europe. Germany ( and even Italy ) is easily doable.

I say Germany because the start of the Moselle is one hop from a port. Then a week or so along the Moselle and some of the Rhine would be excellent. The Moselle valley is stunning. As is the wine and beer.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We aren't into driving 100's of miles a day . We fly abroad , for now. With only having limited time.
But we've talked about doing Northern France maybe , next year. Italy is on our list of must sees too. Pompeii is something I've wanted to see since school.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We aren't into driving 100's of miles a day . We fly abroad , for now. With only having limited time.
But we've talked about doing Northern France maybe , next year. Italy is on our list of must sees too. Pompeii is something I've wanted to see since school.

Zeebrugge to Trier is 240 miles. That's not miles, it's a short hop.

Pompeii is good, with it's own campsite but for us the better one is Herculaneum. There are villas there you could move in to, it'd take Ralph a couple of days to fix most of them up. The lead water pipes down the streets are still in workable condition. You need a few visits and some time for the Naples area, there is just so much, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Capri, Amalfi.

We did in fact fly to Naples the first time. Hired a car and stopped in a hotel in Sorrento. Driving around Naples in a Corsa is one of life's real white knuckle rides. In the van you get more respect.

Right now we are planning Italy/Germany for the end of May.

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Last year we went to France in October half term hols just for a week. We stayed on Aires at Neufchâtel en Bray, Honfleur, St Valerie sur Somme and Fort Mahone Plage. The weather was great which helped.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Pathetic excuse. 2 or 3 weeks is plenty of time to hit mainland Europe. Germany ( and even Italy ) is easily doable.

I say Germany because the start of the Moselle is one hop from a port. Then a week or so along the Moselle and some of the Rhine would be excellent. The Moselle valley is stunning. As is the wine and beer.

...and the food for a Pescatrian??

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
If you want somwhere to go this weekend come to our rally at the three counties showground in Malvern with Fun its not to late just pay on the day and ask to be parked with MotorhomeFun :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back