Where to go in august in Scotland to avoid midges,? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for your suggestions on where to go in my other thread but I decided this question needs one of its own.
We are finishing our Edinburgh fringe week on august 11th and would like to tour a further two weeks in Scotland.
As the west coast and the lochs seem to be the worst for midges we are looking at different areas.
Is there anywhere outside cities that might be midge free in august in Scotland? It's not a question of an irritating nip, partner reacts very badly even to just one bite
Any thoughts much appreciated as ever.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There is a site on the southern end of Arran called Seal Shore Camping that claims to be largely midge free. We stayed there a couple of years ago and the lack of midges was a complete contrast with the previous site at the northern end of the island. Arran is really nice, more like the Highlands in the north and softer in the south. We saw an otter and an eagle and I would happily go back.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Indoors..........

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I would buy Smidge and a midge net hat and go to the west coast. With a little wind the midges are not a problem. Use Smidge liberally and on still days and especially evenings wear the net. I like the advice about Seal Shore camping. It's lovely there but you must book. It's very popular. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs
We went to the CCC site at Dunbar. No midges there. Interesting town, nice walks. The John Muir museum is a lovely little place to visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We've done about 6 weeks in Scotland over the past 3 years and only ever had issues with midges for about an hour on one day and that was on Skye, we've visited during the summer, spring and autumn. Apparently the East coast is the place to avoid them but we've mainly been on the West coast as the scenery is far better in our opinion, I guess with the changeable weather up there, and everywhere else, there's a chance they might come out to play!

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We went to the CCC site at Dunbar. No midges there. Interesting town, nice walks. The John Muir museum is a lovely little place to visit.
Yes the coast in East Lothian is pretty good for fewer midges. The worst places are loch sides on still wet warm nights.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you do get in the middle of 'em, remember that the highland midge (which is a separate species) is small enough (1 mm long, wingspan 2 mm) to get through your flyscreens.
Personal recommendation (as another Midge Magnet) is Smidge available in all good northern outdoor stores or online, also effective against ticks which are much more dangerous than (if not as irritating as) midges.
https://www.smidgeup.com/

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Cornwall?

Seriously, if you stay away from water you can minimise exposure, but that's next to impossible, so as said above the east coast is better.

We use Avon "Skin So Soft" as a repellant which usually works. However TOH also reacts badly to bites so if there is any possibility she takes one anti-histamine tablet in the morning and repeats a couple of times if necessary, which seems to work for her. Doesn't stop the little b-----s biting but stops the reaction. Buy them from the Co-op, quarter of the price at Boots for exactly same ingredients.

Last edited:

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
If you do get in the middle of 'em, remember that the highland midge (which is a separate species) is small enough (1 mm long, wingspan 2 mm) to get through your flyscreens.
Personal recommendation (as another Midge Magnet) is Smidge available in all good northern outdoor stores or online, also effective against ticks which are much more dangerous than (if not as irritating as) midges.
https://www.smidgeup.com/
Remember being out on a fishing trip near Lairg in a VW van with a few other guys ....... had to run to the boats to get tackled up and avoid midges. When we came back after the day's fishing, piled in the van and started to drive off. Switched the blowers on to clear the screen and thousands of the little b##ggers came out of the vents into the van :eek:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Remember being out on a fishing trip near Lairg in a VW van with a few other guys ....... had to run to the boats to get tackled up and avoid midges. When we came back after the day's fishing, piled in the van and started to drive off. Switched the blowers on to clear the screen and thousands of the little b##ggers came out of the vents into the van :eek:
:lipssealed:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Parts of Invernesshire are good for no midges however they tend to be a trifle adventurous to reach by motorhome.

Try here -
upload_2017-6-11_20-25-23.jpeg

Outwith there you takes your chances anywhere up here!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
East coast Aberdeen to Inverness and on to Thurso - not too many of the little buggers there

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
Thanks.
Is this coast line interesting to visit?

If you like small quiet harbours, rock pooling and sandy beaches you might be pleasantly surprised, on the other hand if you like bright lights, ready made entertainment and crowds this area is not exactly Las Vegas.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
I like what most of us with dogs (or without) like on here.

Good walks, nice pubs, some wild spots or nice campsites, not too crowded...

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Thanks.
Is this coast line interesting to visit?

It is a "coastal plain" so fairly agricultural and nowhere near as spectacular as the West Coast but some interesting spots including Whisky distillerys lovely beaches, lots of small golf courses, dolphin watching near Inverness then as you go further North the scenery becomes more rugged. The area round the Dornoch Firth is quite interesting - Dunrobin Castle at Golspie is worth a visit and of course there is the small village of Portmahomack with its Discovery Centre and Tarbat Ness Lighthouse (but then I am biased because Portmahomack was where I was "born & bred") :)

Certainly not comparable with the West Coast but much less midges!!

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
Good walks, nice pubs, some wild spots or nice campsites, not too crowded...

Black Isle just over from Inverness is a regular go to place for us for the reasons you mention and it has its own micro-climate, we prefer the Fortrose site over the CCC site at Rosemarkie and then have a few days in Banff which is connected to many cycle-ways if you feel energetic. Wild camping and sites are readily available.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Was on the Black Isle a few years back and found a cheese shop in Cromarty with the nicest Gouda I have ever tasted. Run by a Dutchman.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you're near Edinburgh, get close to this (erm) person and no midges but it's probably less painful with midges
download.jpg

Deleted User
Thanks for your suggestions on where to go in my other thread but I decided this question needs one of its own.
We are finishing our Edinburgh fringe week on august 11th and would like to tour a further two weeks in Scotland.
As the west coast and the lochs seem to be the worst for midges we are looking at different areas.
Is there anywhere outside cities that might be midge free in august in Scotland? It's not a question of an irritating nip, partner reacts very badly even to just one bite
Any thoughts much appreciated as ever.

12 miles out in the North Sea

Spongy

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
If you like your gin, there is a Scottish gin trail - not quite the NC500 but it is predominately concentrated on the east coast from Edinburgh to John O'Groats featuring craft gin distilleries.
Details at www.wsta.co.uk

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Never mind what people say head up the west coast the wee sea breeze will keep them away start at Kyle of lochalsh we private site behind the hotel in balmacarra then head up the coast to poolewe , Ullapool, lochinver, every corner there's an amazing view stop over at anyone of these places as long as there is a wee breeze you will be fine, achmelvic site is just amazing sitting on the rocks watching the sunset, gods country for definate

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
fife coast, east coast has lovely wee fishing villages, Anstruther, Crail, then up to the likes of Port Soy. lots of distilleries. no midgies to speak of on the east coast, the freezing wind off the north sea keeps them away.

vitamin B1 tablets every day seem to work for some.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back