Where to go in April (possibly) (1 Viewer)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi All

Following a meeting today the contract I am due to start looks like starting in May now. This could mean I dont get much time to spare between May and Feb 2011 but it also means I might have the whole of April to go on a short 3-4 week tour.

Like everyone else I am sick of the cold weather but appreciate April is not going to be tropical anywhere. However where would you go if you wanted a bit of sunshine for a few weeks in the van without travelling too far? I dont particulary want to go to Portugal or Southern Spain. I have so far considered the following.

Option 1

Go across to the Italian Lakes and maybe Venice, Genoa area and then back through France, Millau, Dordogne, Brittany if there is time and home. Will the Alps and the Gothard tunnel be ok to pass through in early April?

Option 2

Go down to Perpignan (south of France North Spain border) and then back up via the Dordogne and Brittany.

Option 3

Just do Brittany and Normandy and maybe a bit of central France or down to the Dordogne. I appreciate that the weather wont be quite as good but we do love Brittany.

I dont want it to be a clash so I am favouring option 2 at the moment but I welcome any suggestions, sensible, stupid or just insulting, I dont care.

Thanks in anticipation

BD

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi Barryd

We did the Dordogne last April and it was warm enough to use sisters outdoor pool.

We did have one or two heavy showers but at least it was warm rain.

Enjoyed it so much we are booked on a ferry on 9th april and not coming back until late June

Enjoy your trip

Alan and Lynda

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Barry

I think it's time you had another word with Mrs D ..

screw the contract, rent the homestead out and go away for six months ::bigsmile:

Failing that, I'd chase the weather, start off in Brittany, then drive down the west coast until I found it ..

The weather changes dramatically when you get south of the Loire valley..

bon voyage :thumb:

cherok

Free Member
Jun 28, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
Months
Hello:Smile:

I envy you a month in April, we have to wait 'til August :cry:

Do the Perpignan thing but.. if you do Dordogne, why not visit the Puy de Dome, Auvergne?

Stunning volcanic landscape and you could come up from Perpignan and then go through Puy de Dome via Le Mont Dore and head up into Dordogne from there??

Just some food for thought::bigsmile:

caz

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Anywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Wherever you go I hope you find the sun. We are currently at Parc Verger, Limousin and hope that April is a good month here - it usually is and there is plenty to see.

Call in if you can

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Brilliant everyone! Will check these options out.

Jim. Im still working on her!

Cheers
BD

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I seriously need to do my research this time. Last time we came up from the Mid Pyrenees and drove straight through the Dordogne without stopping!

We found some great places but I bet we missed loads by only planning the first couple of weeks.

Im thinking Perignan area and the other suggestions down that way, Dordogne and finish of in Brittany or if weather is good and enough to see in the south just stay down there.

I reckon incuding Italy is going to be too much in just 3-4 weeks. I would go a bit earlier but I have my cousins wedding to go to at Easter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back