Where to go for a winter break in UK (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If we are unable to go to Spain over winter we've been wondering where to go in the UK instead. We've done Wales and Scotland's NW a couple of times this year so looking elsewhere, prefer somewhere with longer days and milder temperatures as I don't do well in the cold, so the possibility of SE/S England comes to mind due to ease of parking (in comparison to Cornwall with loads of height barriers).

Would SE/S be a good area to explore? If so suggestions please of where to go/stay (don't do sites normally but may if dog friendly and not too out of the way), if not then where else would you suggest.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would relook at not doing sites.
Probably a better thought process to go for the CLs as there aint a lot of places down here you dont have to pay for parking or cause twitching and ringing 101.

Hobbies ? apart from collecting water dispensers ? Jane Austen and Gilbert White houses near to us and I can give co ords for free parking within a couple of miles of both that you ll get away with it

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've recently had a very enjoyable few days in the Cotswolds
Moreton in Marsh CAMC, easy walk into town along pavement, Monarch's Way long distance path is just behind the site. The site has a dog field to let hounds have a run off lead.
Broadway CAMC, slightly longer walk into town, by the side of heritage railway, couple of smaller dog walk areas.

Lots to see & do if you want to explore

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would relook at not doing sites.
Probably a better thought process to go for the CLs as there aint a lot of places down here you dont have to pay for parking or cause twitching and ringing 101.

Hobbies ? apart from collecting water dispensers ? Jane Austen and Gilbert White houses near to us and I can give co ords for free parking within a couple of miles of both that you ll get away with it
There is also this if you come before Xmas (might be on after as well)

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
An old boss of mine used to be Santa on the Watercress Line.

For winter breaks in the UK, perhaps city sites might be a better bet. The south west of UK has the mildest weather but even that is a bit hit and miss.

Reactions: DBK
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’m with cyberyacht on this one, city breaks then much easier to get into places to see and do things when the weather is poor and not dry.

As for the Cotswolds we should have been there on those sites this month if our van had arrived, plus Henley which is well worth a few days visit & you can catch the bus to Marlowe from outside the site.

We always enjoyed London staying at Abbey Wood with fantastic transport within 15 minutes walk on bus and train. Lots of good & easy places to access from this site.

We also fancy Brighton but have not camped there yet and should have been at Cambridge earlier in September too.

We enjoyed Dawlish one year, plenty of trains & busses along the coast & to Exeter, which we rode to on cycle path too.

I cannot envisage anything worse than a rural site in poor weather unless your happy to just sit in the van.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the past when still working we've done London over Christmas and New Year and also Southport (which we did enjoy!) but not really that bothered about being able to go to places for a bit of entertainment etc. We don't want much in the way of 'cities', just nice scenery, quiet, somewhere to walk the doggies etc with the odd bit of shopping in smaller towns, villages, when abroad I love sitting out in the sunshine, even if its not massively warm, just relaxing whilst hubby does his pottering etc. I know in the UK I'm not likely to be able to sit out much in winter but sitting in my A-class 'conservatory' is nice. :giggle:

I really, REALLY, don't 'do' cold, never have been able to and certainly not now, hence wanting somewhere in the UK that might be a bit warmer than up in these 'er parts.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
There are a few round the Dawlish/Teignmouth area that are quite nice.
I rememeber Cofton Holidays was good a few years ago, and I mooched round another couple all withing a few miles, seemed nice.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We used Ladies Mile at Dawlish, a large site with entertainment if you wanted it. We chose this one for location when there for easy access on cycle, foot, bus & train with a large Sainsbury’s 5 minutes walk away.

Yes Minxy Girl it is another cold one tonight & last night was very cold up here 😊

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Not the south east but…….

Our go to place is the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley which are fairly local to us and great for dog walks on relatively flat terrain.
There are some great campsites located on the edge of the Forest and small villages with some decent pubs.
I think it’s pretty good at any time of year but we really like to visit in Autumn/Winter.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
A couple of years ago, I enjoyed Dedham Vale ANOB / Flatford Mill Constable country in Suffolk, not sure about FLT places though ?
Been meaning to go back for a longer stay but not made it yet

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Tintagel overnight parking right in the centre £6.00 a night then onto Bude & up to Bideford overnight parking along the river right in the town brilliant New year Eve Torrington nice market town allow overnight parking & down to Westward Ho! overnight parking £6.00 & also appledore but a bit pricey there now & down to Exmouth lovely town with overnight parking cheers Rod

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Sidmouth is my favourite place,near lyme regis,cos i love the donkey sanctuary,you can take your dogs for a walk round there too,(and its free)
oakdown is a nice site,(its not cheap but its very nice)
its on a bus route too……………wish i was there now lol

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I like your new Avatar all your little furry creatures🥰
I've had variations of my 'smilie' man/women/it for a good few years, dressing him/her/it up for the seasons but thought I'd put my pooches on for a change ... can't remember what we were doing at the time but 2 of them have got their tongues out so it must have involved food! :p

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Tintagel overnight parking right in the centre £6.00 a night then onto Bude & up to Bideford overnight parking along the river right in the town brilliant New year Eve Torrington nice market town allow overnight parking & down to Westward Ho! overnight parking £6.00 & also appledore but a bit pricey there now & down to Exmouth lovely town with overnight parking cheers Rod
Second the a39 Atlantic highway.

Plenty of places to stop if wild camping.

Not at all busy last week.

Hockings ice-cream best in UK!

Cheers James

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've recently had a very enjoyable few days in the Cotswolds
Moreton in Marsh CAMC, easy walk into town along pavement, Monarch's Way long distance path is just behind the site. The site has a dog field to let hounds have a run off lead.
Broadway CAMC, slightly longer walk into town, by the side of heritage railway, couple of smaller dog walk areas.

Lots to see & do if you want to explore
We stayed in Burford , nice site called Wysdom touring park , walk into Burford , bus stop outside to Oxford , no showers/ toilets, they have black & grey disposal , water and electric on all the pitches

Stayed 3 nights, liked it , would go again , open all year

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I would imagine there are lots of pubs you could stay at. You might even be able to get a couple of free days/nights on someones drive (Inc electric) off someone who will be at the Shrewsbury New Year Rally if you're in the Clacton area ... :unsure: :unsure:

Burnt Farm Cottage at £10 per night Inc electric is about 5 mile's outside Ipswich, nothing on site other than space ...and lots of dog walks! (hard standing available aswell)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
A couple of years ago, I enjoyed Dedham Vale ANOB / Flatford Mill Constable country in Suffolk, not sure about FLT places though ?
Been meaning to go back for a longer stay but not made it yet
I've tossed it around Dedham and the Stour Valley for years.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We live in Kent, which is as far South East as you can get in the UK. We are not much warmer than you lot oop norf. Looking out now from my kitchen window with plenty of frost on the neighbour's garage roof. My wife does not "do" winter either as the cold really sets off her arthritis, so she tends to stay in the warm house wrapped up in layers and complaining about the cold.

If you do venture here Canterbury is always a good bet with the Old Dover Road P & R "Aire" at £3.50 per day which includes unlimited use of the P&R buses to get into the city centre. Also we have some good heritage railway lines if that is your thing. Romney Hythe & Dymchurch, Bluebell, Kent & Sussex, and the Spa Valley (nearest to us) all put on Christmas special trains this time of year. We are also surrounded by beautiful countryside and AONBs like the Weald, North Downs, South Downs and Ashdown Forest as well as plenty of coast line.

Can't really help you with places to stay because we rarely travel close to us with our motorhome, just have days out in the car. Not sure about your idea of not using camp sites. How long will you be able to survive without EHU for charging the batteries, because you won't get much charge from the solar panels this time of year. We do have plenty of CLs and CSs.

But, as others have said the warmest bit of the UK in winter is the South West as it gets more of the gulf stream and has plenty of sea around it, which keeps the hard frosts away.

But what makes you think that you will be unable to go to Spain in the winter? We are planning an early spring trip to Spain and Portugal.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
lots to see and do in kent stay at the park and ride £8 a night fully serviced free bus into canterbury , trains and busses from there. £10 24 hours at reculver nice walks along the coast and roman remains. £2 overnight at herne bay car parkfish and chips pub etc no services . ,Road side near deal at sanddown castle free nice walks into a decent town or along golf course . you can park up for a night at the dover patrol memorial nice view of the ferries coming and going
we often do one night at each and back to canterbury for services if your in and out in 15mins it doesnt charge you

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Try Cirencester Park, Salisbury Hudson’s Fields, Bristol Baltic Wharf, Devizes…….all club sites, but worth a visit and good for the dogs too! ;)

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
There are a few round the Dawlish/Teignmouth area that are quite nice.
I rememeber Cofton Holidays was good a few years ago, and I mooched round another couple all withing a few miles, seemed nice.
Would agree with that. Cofton do a good winter rate and also on acsi. Two good pubs 6 minutes away. Nice woodland walk. Trains nearby to Exeter and torquay and other places. Bus stop close to site. Great pitches and facilities.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are off to Cliff House Suffolk for Dec & Jan.
Last two years we stayed at The Hollies Kessingland, same company.
Hollies is a bit open when the wind blows straight in off the sea, Cliff House has a lot of trees so may be a bit more sheltered but possibly gloomier!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back