mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We (Ms Tigger) have Decided to upgrade our van. We are looking for something a little newer with a turbo and a shower.

We really know what we want but are unsure on budget etc. We thought we would pop to a dealer at the weekend to start our research but having searched what feels like the entire internet we can't find a dealer with used PCVs for sale, only new ones at outrageous prices or coach built. Anyone any ideas where I should be looking?

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I will have a look... ms Tigger has already said LHD not an option though..

Ok I think I need to set the record straight. We are looking to upgrade, we haven't won the lottery.

I reckon I could buy a van and have it professionally done for 10k less than the cheapest on there.

So back to the drawing board then.. thanks for your help though.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Have you tried,Preloved, or CC and A@CC Clubs For Sale sections,Various Owners Clubs of the different makes. There are lots for sale,but as many people are downsizing,they are fetching good money.
A dealer i used to live near at one time,"Oak Tree Motors"Notts,has all types of M/h's on his web page as a rule,this may help in seeing different layouts/prices before you travel anywhere. Good luck with your hunting .
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Germany .....brand new from £32k used less

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You have answered yourself,there are loads of people who will convert your own van,lots in and around mid-south yorkshire,look up van converters,not counting Bilbaos?i,Wildax,Murvi...... Timberland ??. Go for it.
Tea Bag

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We (Ms Tigger) have Decided to upgrade our van. We are looking for something a little newer with a turbo and a shower.

We really know what we want but are unsure on budget etc. We thought we would pop to a dealer at the weekend to start our research but having searched what feels like the entire internet we can't find a dealer with used PCVs for sale, only new ones at outrageous prices or coach built. Anyone any ideas where I should be looking?

PVC prices have had a shot in the arm recently with people downsizing, people moving from caravans and total newbies looking for a 'compromise'. The dealer we bought our 2011 Autocruise is giving us substantially more for it in partex this year than we paid him for it 2 years ago. Screen prices are always negotiable as you already know Tigger! Good luck with the hunt!(y)

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Hi.
Have you tried,Preloved, or CC and A@CC Clubs For Sale sections,Various Owners Clubs of the different makes. There are lots for sale,but as many people are downsizing,they are fetching good money.
A dealer i used to live near at one time,"Oak Tree Motors"Notts,has all types of M/h's on his web page as a rule,this may help in seeing different layouts/prices before you travel anywhere. Good luck with your hunting .
Tea Bag

I think there must not be many about.. this is going to put the price up of course but we are aiming to spend under 10k and expect it to be well under 15 years old..

Plenty on fleabay but they are mostly layouts that don't suit us (loads of them have cabs you can't get through to the living area.. what's that all about)

We shall keep searching. It would have been nice to go via a dealer but if prices start at 20k we are wasting our time I guess.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Hi.
You have answered yourself,there are loads of people who will convert your own van,lots in and around mid-south yorkshire,look up van converters,not counting Bilbaos?i,Wildax,Murvi...... Timberland ??. Go for it.
Tea Bag

I'm up for it. Problem is although this will be our third van Ms Tigger isn't convinced it will be our forever van or even our till the kids leave home van so doesn't want to go through the build process (even getting someone else to do the work)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I will have a look... ms Tigger has already said LHD not an option though..

Then you won't pick up a bargain..…Been driving them over 20 years what's the problem exactly.

Can't see a bespoke build getting anywhere near the quality or value of some German vans.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have a word with @Terry . I have a self build which I am just about to do a refit on and I fulltime in it.

The best thing about doing it yourself is that you can have exactly the layout you want at the quality you want at a price you can afford.

For instance because I am a fulltimer my van gets some extreme hammer. So I forwent finish quality for ruggedness. This actually worked out cheaper. It looks cheap inside but is built like a tank inside. Also with a self build you are not as concerned with resale value if you want to change anything.

A first fit self build can be done at a steady pace in as little as 6 weeks doing a couple of hour here and there. Also you will be able to get a much new van to convert than if you buy one already converted within your budget. For instance you can get a 2005 Fiat Ducato LWB van for as little as £2500 in half decent condition. For half your budget you can pick up a 2007 model.

If I were starting again I would go for something in between and leave £6K for the conversion.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Then you won't pick up a bargain..…Been driving them over 20 years what's the problem exactly.

Can't see a bespoke build getting anywhere near the quality or value of some German vans.

The problem (if you can call it that) is her experience of driving on the other side of the road totals about 100 miles in a car. She hasn't driven out current van over the water at all So far.. I'm not looking for a bargain.. I'm looking for something that doesn't appear to be there...

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Have a word with @Terry . I have a self build which I am just about to do a refit on and I fulltime in it.

The best thing about doing it yourself is that you can have exactly the layout you want at the quality you want at a price you can afford.

For instance because I am a fulltimer my van gets some extreme hammer. So I forwent finish quality for ruggedness. This actually worked out cheaper. It looks cheap inside but is built like a tank inside. Also with a self build you are not as concerned with resale value if you want to change anything.

A first fit self build can be done at a steady pace in as little as 6 weeks doing a couple of hour here and there. Also you will be able to get a much new van to convert than if you buy one already converted within your budget. For instance you can get a 2005 Fiat Ducato LWB van for as little as £2500 in half decent condition. For half your budget you can pick up a 2007 model.

If I were starting again I would go for something in between and leave £6K for the conversion.

I'd love to do it but I have to agree with her that doing it ourselves is out of the question. I haven't got good enough woodworking skills or tools for a start.

The best value, as you say, is buy the van, pay someone to put Windows in it, pay someone else to build the furniture, fit the electrics and appliances then pay a gas fitter to install the gas and appliances.. 10k will cover that I'm relatively sure. I also am keen on rugged. I actually think bare wood looks better than laminate and is easier to repair if needed.. decent oils or wax and it is just as liveable.

I may keep persuading her that self build is the answer. Time to start hunting for base vans on eBay I think.

Have any of our experienced self builders got rough internal dimensions of a transit jumbo?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The problem (if you can call it that) is her experience of driving on the other side of the road totals about 100 miles in a car. She hasn't driven out current van over the water at all So far.. I'm not looking for a bargain.. I'm looking for something that doesn't appear to be there...

I can assure you they do not come more timid my wife who took 4/5 attempts to pass driving test. Like everything else "worrying" and thinking about it far worse then the reality. wife used to drop kids of at 2 different schools and carry on and park the left hooker in College car park. once you have driven a few miles it becomes second nature....

obviously driving in europe easier as well....

you can get brand new 2015 facelift Globecar on the road here for £32K cost at least £10K more for RHD. plenty of cheaper nearly new as well...

these are really well built vans: http://www.globecar.de/modelle/

probably most popular model:Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back