LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I need more practice but the Spark, like the Mavic, makes drone flying so easy as to be a bit of a joke.. It more or less does it all for you !
All the following were down with the Spark
The first is @old-mo 's place

The second a test flight from my back garden

The third really shows how easy they are to fly, being used in the kitchen !

And the last another tester in my back garden

Got to edit the ones taken at @toledo 's do a couple of weeks ago so that is not posted yet... And unfortuately could not flay at the Thetford Bash as there was a temporary no fly restriction in place over the whole area

Last edited:

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Sorry to rain on your parade, Jaws, but unfortunately your, apparently innocuous, videos are a prime example of why RC model flyers across Europe are facing Draconian restrictions and obstacles to the continued pursuit of their hobby, compared to hitherto. The widespread sale of drones to a public who are unaware of, or who choose to ignore, basic principles for safe flying has forced governments into a 'knee-jerk' reaction and we are now faced with registration and testing and the widespread loss of formerly safe flying sites for model aircraft.

It's no consolation that you and your fellow drone flyers will also be subject to the same restrictions. I suspect many will just ignore those restrictions, as they do now.

I don't know if you are aware of the existence of the '' but it clearly explains the rules. To expand on Article 95 of the Air Navigation Order 2016, which relates to 'Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft' (as is yours, being equipped with a camera):

(1) The person in charge of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly the
aircraft in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2) except in
accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are:

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than
1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the
control of the person in charge of the aircraft;
or
(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned
surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the person in charge of the small
unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the person in
charge of the aircraft.

(5) In this article 'a small unmanned surveillance aircraft' means a small unmanned
aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data
acquisition.

These rules make it clear that your flights in videos 2 and 4 are unlawful by reason of overflying a congested (built-up) area and within 50m of structures (houses) which are not under your control. The first video is questionable in terms of the proximity of people, although it might be inferred that they had consented to the flight being made in close proximity. Unfortunately, there are many, many similar videos on Youtube which give the impression that it's alright to fly like this but that is not the case. Some of those videos have led to the prosecution of the uploader, so you might consider whether leaving them on YT is wise.

My motive for posting this is not to have a go at you personally, believe me. You are one of many who have seen the photo opportunities a drone can offer - and I see, in this thread and others, that there is a lot of interest in purchasing and using them by people who have previously had no concern in any form of flight. However, before making a big investment in a drone, it's worth considering whether the locations and circumstances in which you intend to use it are permitted in law and whether you are prepared, by Nov 2019, to go through the registration and testing process to allow you to continue using the drone?

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
As Pete says above, you really shouldn't be flying it over residential areas like that.

It's very tempting I know but I imagine you'd object to it if your neighbour did the same thing while you were sunbathing (or your grand-daughter ..etc). to say nothing of being hit by a falling Drone.

I try and limit my flying to wide-open spaces early in the morning or late evening.

I asked permission from the farmer and publican in the 2 locations filmed at the weekend (and I always try to check with any nearby public f they are OK with me filming ....

>>> DRONE FOOTAGE <<<

As for registration, it should have been made a condition of sale >5 years ago, when the potential problems of cheap, ubiquitous, UAVs were becoming glaringly obvious. The Home Office left the stable door open I'm afraid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Every single one of all the people in the close I live in asked me to do the fly overs.. Personally I don't really care what folk outside my environment think.. Neighbors are very happy .. What I have published is the footage without people, what they got was the footage of them all in their gardens. Waving, grinning and errr, in one case do an amazing moony ..
I am happy, the folk around me are happy.. If you are not happy... Shame :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back