Where on Earth do you get an MOT....? (1 Viewer)

JemDog

Free Member
May 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
in process of buying
Exp
Hi all picking up my Fiat Ducato panel van this week, ready to start conversion for full timing....one of the many things puzzling me, is if I (as intended) stay away from the UK for longer than a year, how do I get an MOT to keep my insurance valid?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Drive home from Luxembourg with a load of fags and booze. ?????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Are there any tax advantages if you register it in another country, For example, can you reduce the cost of the road tax?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It varies in Spain, our road tax is low, our insurance is more, but it does cover the vehicle so anyone can drive them. ?
But it not as simple as just getting a vehicle registered in another country. ? Bob.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
To register a vehicle in another country, you will normally need an address there otherwise you will have to return yearly to the UK for an mot. You will still have to pay UK road tax
Also, your extended trip around Europe may soon be subject to time limitations if the UK leaves the EU. Long term travellers ( visits of over 3 months) will need to apply for visas from the countries they wish to visit.

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Were coming back in feb for ours (MOT).
But on noticed MOT stations in Gibraltar do they do an MOT for an English van?
But anyway we where thinking MOT the van in UK sell it and then buy one over here dont even know if its possible

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Touring might be easier with a left hand drive van.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Sadly not, there is no way around having to return to the UK annually for the MOT and further complications for longer stays that are Brxxxxt dependant, it’s all a bit depressing for long term travel.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes agree. Dont want to hijack the thread but can a none resident say buy a van in spain?

Yes. You need an NIE number though (Numero de Identidad de Extranjero). And an address.

That's how things stand at the moment though!!!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
But anyway we where thinking MOT the van in UK sell it and then buy one over here dont even know if its possible

Any van can have an MOT in Gib or, even, an ITV in Spain, but it's not valid to make a British vehicle legal for insurance etc.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Are there any tax advantages if you register it in another country, For example, can you reduce the cost of the road tax?
It varies in Spain, our road tax is low, our insurance is more, but it does cover the vehicle so anyone can drive them.
What Bob hasn't mentioned is that his road tax might be low but mine is extremely high.There is no uniform road tax across spain & even varies in regions as each local council can set there own amount. My mate used to pay 30% per year of what I paid for exactly the same vehicle.
Insurance is far dearer but as Bob stated , covers the vehicle for anyone to drive over the correct age.
Also to bear in mind is that anything based on what the spanish class as a "commercial" vehicle is unlikely to be able to be re-registered. That will also vary area to area.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can you get insurance to last that long ?
You’d be amazed at the number of vans in Europe being driven around by all sorts, and thinking..... that/they haven't got the proper paperwork..... some haven’t got a clue while some chance it...

I’ve spoken to couples on the road and they haven’t got a clue about insurance/C1/payload....?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have been in Poland for 8 years and have to drive UK-registered MH back to UK every year.

I may soon be re-registering it in Poland which seems to be easier than in Spain, France etc.

There is no road tax here. Medical for C1 is every 5 years. MOT equivalent seems no more or less onerous. Insurance is still under discussion.

Getting an address in any country should not be too difficult if you pick one where the registration authorities do not need an equivalent of NI number or Council Tax. DVLA do not in UK - but they are just Tax Collectors and want somewhere to send the bill.

It all needs a bit of research and planning, but that is half the fun of beating bureaucracy.

Signed: Geoff, (Bureaucratic Anarchist, First Class and Star.)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
A few years ago a company was offering UK mots in Spain, totally illegal but I assume they had a deal with a bent garage over here who put them through without seeing them, or they just gave them a fictitious certificate.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A few years ago a company was offering UK mots in Spain, totally illegal but I assume they had a deal with a bent garage over here who put them through without seeing them, or they just gave them a fictitious certificate.
Like most scams it's okay until you get caught. Insurance invalid no mot attempted fraud etc. If we do end up limited to 90 days it won't be a problem

OP
OP
JemDog

JemDog

Free Member
May 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
in process of buying
Exp
Or re_register it in another country
Yeh, did consider that....but probably a red tape nightmare!

OP
OP
JemDog

JemDog

Free Member
May 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
in process of buying
Exp
You would need an address an probably residency/citizenship.

OP
OP
JemDog

JemDog

Free Member
May 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
in process of buying
Exp
Good call! Gib is British surely?

OP
OP
JemDog

JemDog

Free Member
May 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
in process of buying
Exp
Touring might be easier with a left hand drive van.
Hi Wild Brambles each to their own, I prefer the familiarity of a right hooker. Also better to see the edges on barrier-less roads...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Only if you live here!

The only way you can get an mot on a UK reg vehicle is to take it to a garage in the UK

What you are proposing about buying a vehicle for you to use abroad will not be legal, to get the benefits of unrestricted travel in the EU will soon mean you have to live here.

Which is what we have done.

To buy a vehicle in France you will need a French address to buy and register a van and a French address to insure it and shortly you will also need to swap your driving licence to a French ( or other EU country)one.
We don’t pay road tax in France but insurance ( which covers use in all of Europe, including Russia!, and allows any family member to drive the vehicle, with the right licence, and includes breakdown cover) is more expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back