Where is the glow plug? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
further to my recent investigations into the problem with my fiat DUCATO multijet 130, I have had it diagnosed as a glow plug problem.
So I have bought a new glow plug but can’t find whereabouts on the engine it is so that I can replace it.
Can anyone tell me where abouts on the engine to find it please?

TIA

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
on some engines they can be very difficult to get out and if you break them it can be a head off job to drill them out so soak well with wd40 and dont use to much force

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
on some engines they can be very difficult to get out and if you break them it can be a head off job to drill them out so soak well with wd40 and dont use to much force

Yep....been there....Doblo Multijet 85 :(

1 glowplug extracted OK...failed
3 glowplugs stuck

3 days of soaking later...

1 extracted...failed
2 drilled out

I still get flashbacks...especially the invoice :cry:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I have not worked on that particular engine, if we had a tight glow plug it is not for the DIY person to remove. We used to heat them up slightly then squirt with WD40, do it a couple of times and it usely comes out without to much force.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used a battery drill in screwdriver mode with the torque set to 16 (max).
It acts like an impact wrench only much gentler and will shock them loose rather than twisting....But it takes quite a while before they move.
I removed all six with NO problem.
When replaced take note of the torque setting......mine were just 7 ftlbs
Too tight and they snap off.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Be VERY careful, I'm not sure if this is a shared engine but I know the Ford units have a habit of breaking the glow plug tip & leaving it well down in the head when you try to remove them. Gets expensive then !
Barrie.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just changed all four of mine on my SAAB.

I was surprised at how little torque they quote when tightening them down, around 18NM.

If yours are the same tightness, then they shouldn't need a huge amount of pressure to unscrew them. Just keep the pressure equal and at a right angle so as not to bend or break.

Mine had been in for nearly 12 years.

Good luck.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Be VERY careful, I'm not sure if this is a shared engine but I know the Ford units have a habit of breaking the glow plug tip & leaving it well down in the head when you try to remove them. Gets expensive then !
Barrie.

Just changed all four of mine on my SAAB.

I was surprised at how little torque they quote when tightening them down, around 18NM.

If yours are the same tightness, then they shouldn't need a huge amount of pressure to unscrew them. Just keep the pressure equal and at a right angle so as not to bend or break.

Mine had been in for nearly 12 years.

Good luck.

That's why I suggested using a battery drill set to screwdriver and a high torque setting.
It will vibrate/shock them loose rather than a straight twisting motion.
If they are like in the previous video they are only 8mm thick and can easily snap off at the thread.
If that happens they can be removed with the head in situations but requires a very expensive removal tool and final reamer.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Best try when engine has had a good run and still hot and make sure the socket/box is a tight fit.

OP
OP
RollingRog
Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
Changed the throttle control relay unit didn’t make any difference, glow plugs are ok I’m baffled now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back