Where is the best place to buy privately? (1 Viewer)

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Where is the best place to buy a MH privately please?

So far, I've got:

1/ eBay
2/ Autotrader
3/ Local papers

..........?

PS: I'm in Cumbria.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Always view first....

There are classifieds on this and other sites.An independent vehicle check is a must before you part with all those hard-earned readies...:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
AutoTrader and you can then filter out the trade ads and only look at private sellers who in most cases have high expectations!

Sometimes you are better off to find an independent familly owned dealership and get the back up service and warranty.

Peter

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Sites like these,but i think you're better buying from a good dealer,that way you are covered if anything goes wrong,sometimes what you see as a saving isn't always so,especially if something goes wrong and you've no comebacks:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We bought our Hymer off ebay last year and traded it in with Marquis in Preston, Lancashire who gave excellent service when we bought our new one. Both MHs were good.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Where is the worst place to buy a MH privately please?

in a layby, off a bloke wearing a sheepskin coat, checkered neckerchief and a trilby hat and driving a transit pickup with a greyhound in the front!!!

sorry, couldnt resist. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Where is the worst place to buy a MH privately please?

in a layby, off a bloke wearing a sheepskin coat, checkered neckerchief and a trilby hat and driving a transit pickup with a greyhound in the front!!!

sorry, couldnt resist. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shush John your going to spoil my pitch on the A21:cry:

Peter

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I bought my vehicle thru e bay and probably saved about £6k on a dealers price but to be quite honest i was bricking it , handing my hard earned to some irk in Mansfield gave me nightmares for ages. Yes i did all the checks but for a first vehicle you are green , would i do it again , yes as i am a risk taker. If you cant live with your mistake dont do it
WANDERER

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I resent that previous post we are not irks in Mansfield well not all of us, I`ll tell my dad on you !!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

buggy man

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
weston-super-mare
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
Where is the best place to buy privately

We thought about buying private on our first motorhome with some seemingly good prices about. But we opted for a dealer and it payed off, lots of these vehicles have low mileage so you think all is ok. ours from the dealer only had 33000 miles on the clock one owner after 4 months the gearbox went costing over £400.Did not cost us a penny. Bazfergy is right you have that bit of assurance buying at a good dealership...Don't make a hurried buy.. look look and look again.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I bought my vehicle thru e bay and probably saved about £6k on a dealers price but to be quite honest i was bricking it , handing my hard earned to some irk in Mansfield gave me nightmares for ages. Yes i did all the checks but for a first vehicle you are green , would i do it again , yes as i am a risk taker. If you cant live with your mistake dont do it
WANDERER

not Geo was it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We are on our 5th motorhome and without exception have bought them all through Ebay.

We have been thrilled with each one, the reason for the many changes has been due to our requirements changing not because of the buying experience. ::bigsmile:

We have resold all of them on ebay without any problems and if I was looking to buy another one tomorrow it is Ebay that I would look at.

It is scary paying a private individual perhaps £30k+ but you take all the necessary precautions and use your instincts.

We have never regretted any of our purchases, and up to now (fingers crossed) do not think we have been ripped off.

I understand that some people want to buy from dealers as they think they will get a better product and perhaps have some recourse should things go wrong.

We always travel to look, and I mean look very carefully at any motorhome we are interested in buying. On more than one occasion other motorhomers have accompanied us and advised us of something that we had missed! We are however realistic and don't expect a 7 year old motorhome to look like a brand new one!

Anyway, good luck with your search and keep us informed of your progress. I think the best bit about motorhoming is looking for a new one but don't tell Bryan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back